Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th March 2021, 16:31   #1
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts
Default Dashcam Interference.

My drivers mirror mounted dashcam is causing terrible interference with my DAB signal, to the point where the signal drops out completely. Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
Heddy
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2021, 17:04   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
My drivers mirror mounted dashcam is causing terrible interference with my DAB signal, to the point where the signal drops out completely. Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
Heddy
Had this issue (and other issues) with FM interference, was sorted with a decent power supply - similar to THIS one, albeit half the price via Amazon or eBay.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2021, 18:12   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Cheers, will try that as a last resort, been looking at ferrite coils to wrap around the wires or a type of shielding.
Old 12th March 2021, 19:01   #4
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

The Nextbase clf pointed out is about as good as they come if you need to re route the supply, and upgrade it.

If you are going to try FC's, buy 5 cores and attach them as close to the camera as possible, adding them one at a time.
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2021, 19:59   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Cheers, will try that as a last resort, been looking at ferrite coils to wrap around the wires or a type of shielding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
The Nextbase clf pointed out is about as good as they come if you need to re route the supply, and upgrade it.

If you are going to try FC's, buy 5 cores and attach them as close to the camera as possible, adding them one at a time.
I tried ferrite coils prior to getting the Nextbase power supply, on my rear camera, the front did not affect the signal (but it did have its own issues).

I should have stated though, prior to spending money on anything, unplug the lead from the dash cam, to see if that improves, whilst the lead is powered up. If it does improve things, a ferrite coil is unlikely to help. If it doesnt change, a ferrite coil may help, but rerouting may also help too - but a quality power supply would almost certainly eliminate it.

Moving the DAB aerial may also help too. Keep in mind, with a DAB signal being digital, it will drop out to silence if there is interference. (it is I/O or on/off).

Old 12th March 2021, 20:25   #6
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Ah, so a dedicated power source for the dashcam may well be the way to go. The DAB signal drops to zero with the dashcam on, when the dashcam plug is pulled, the DAB signal returns as soon as the camera powers off.
Old 12th March 2021, 21:03   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Ah, so a dedicated power source for the dashcam may well be the way to go. The DAB signal drops to zero with the dashcam on, when the dashcam plug is pulled, the DAB signal returns as soon as the camera powers off.
It reads as though you have a cigarette socket type power source? If not using the supplied cable, and using a USB to cigarette type adapter then it could be that, however you could try a different cable if you have one, eg a digital camera data transfer cable or an old mobile phone charging lead If you are indeed using the USB type, try the original supplied cable.

I do think that it could be a combination of issues, from the lighter socket, power source and possibly the vicinity of the DAB aerial/power (even more so if the DAB system is an external type also powered by the cigarette lighter socket).

Ultimately a decent external power source for the dashcam will improve things, whether it eliminates it I cannot guarantee. But they have electrical smoothing capabilities built in to limit the interference. After my own issues, I have not used anything else and not had any negative effects - in about 10 cameras, 3 of which had external DAB units, which were also independently powered by the same power supply.

Old 13th March 2021, 12:00   #8
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Agreed. My 12v to 5v power supply caused my radio to drop out.
Old 25th March 2021, 16:02   #9
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Default Update!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I fitted a roof mounted DAB aerial today and binned the window one. Can now receive all stations clearly and none of them 'drop out'. As for the dashcam interfering with the signal, the problem has gone, the strong reception has overcome the problem.