Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2021, 21:35   #751
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I get the impression that herd immunity is progressing even faster amongst those that have not had the jab. Natural immunity happening even faster than immunity with the jab.---
Old 17th May 2021, 12:46   #752
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

As expected, current data (at least the relevant stuff for this purpose) is under several fathoms of swamp! However, it’s a matter of record that for the 10 years or so prior to the present calamity the mortality rates for Influenza tended to hover around 320,000 per annum. That’s with a national vaccination scheme.

It was common knowledge that take-up of the vaccine was falling off and as a result it was feared mortality rates and employment absences could well increase. A new strategy concerning vaccine publicity was being worked on before the current outbreak. That’s all old news, new sceptics read on:

It’s well, strange, that figures for winter 2018/19/20 have not been published to date (mooted for 24/6/21!). As said before, Covid mortality figures published and on TV for 20/21 are, allegedly, and this is the critical factor, inclusive of all other respiratory and other causes illnesses. If that change of content and context (without wider explanation and qualification) was used in HMGOV financial accounting the alarm bells would be deafening.

As it is, for this sceptic at least, it’s sufficient reason to question the pressing of all the panic buttons including those ones that are coming down the line. Reference the now infamous ‘Apps’ being touted as necessary for elementary (alimentary?) access to other basic services that were fought for before such things could be used for surveillance.

Everybody who gets the app will be traceable down to the square yard if they enter any cafe, restaurant or anywhere else that needs verification of not what you are, but who you are. So, the higher the fear factor the higher the coverage. That’s great for catching the terrorist or drug dealer, it’s the ordinary guy who loses the anonymity as well.

Each to his own without criticism or argument, ridicule or denigration. The only advantage of a long life is experience of (about) over 20/30 different governments of different shades!

My only real objection is the taking of sides, the dismissal of alternative views to the point of rudeness, and the presumed eccentricity of alert questioners. That took root very recently over another fiasco. Ah well, back to the quill pen.

Last edited by wraymond; 17th May 2021 at 12:49..
Old 17th May 2021, 13:36   #753
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Lockdown 2 ? I mean the number of deaths/year dictate that this must happen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57139434
Old 17th May 2021, 15:18   #754
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

The idea that anything is 'clear' to 'most' is an extreme over-estimation of the capability of the public majority at large to actually apply critical thinking of their own to any subject. They'd much rather been spoon fed by politicians, social media and mass media drinking from the cup of propaganda than actually think for themselves. To this mass nothing is clear unless someone else tells them what to think in an entertaining way that stimulates the emotions

Last edited by wraymond; 17th May 2021 at 15:21..
Old 17th May 2021, 16:04   #755
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Come on guys keep it civil.
The swear filter is there for a reason, using big fancy words to evade the filter is just as childish as using an asterisk.

Play nice
Old 17th May 2021, 16:38   #756
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Just play nice like you've been asked.
Old 17th May 2021, 17:54   #757
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

,...........9....…...8............7..........
Old 17th May 2021, 18:09   #758
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Shouldn’t have to say this really, but in the hope of correcting any possible misinterpretations, I’ll try.

Once again Clive, you take a general abstract observation as a direct personal attack and as a dismissal of the plight of others who happen to be especially close to you. Criticism of those who are supposed to manage crises like this has no bearing whatsoever on patients or dependants.

It’s no purpose of mine to minimise the effect of this disease in any way, nor is it my belief that it is not real. My entire output on this whole affair is the ham-fisted, lying and confused management of a crisis by those charged with the responsibility of seeing the country through it. It is that we are led by donkeys playing a guessing game through which they hope to avoid the responsibility of the office they hold.

All, all, our sympathies go unreservedly to victims and their families and I am saddened to think you in particular would even think that anyone would diminish the plight of those suffering.

You can either accept this in the spirit in which it is intended or not, it’s your choice, but in the end picking off unrelated side issues and challenging obviously metaphorical references amounts to obfuscation and I’m sure that’s not your intention. HTH.
Old 17th May 2021, 20:02   #759
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

This bit in the report.--In the UK, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) found that people working from home during the pandemic were putting in an average of six hours of unpaid overtime a week.---

My take on that would be that you probably spent more time in traffic jams breathing in the fumes than that for lots of folk.--I know I did.---
Old 17th May 2021, 20:10   #760
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

For the sake of reference, the 'donkeys' term is from an historian writing about the Infantry in WW1 and describing them and their leaders respectively as "Lions led by donkeys". Yet another classic adventure which led to many deaths for which the surviving leaders escaped penalty. Apt, just differing personnel.