Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th June 2021, 14:29   #1
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Non Rover related Tyre question

My wife has just bought a Dacia Logan MCV estate car (amazing value!!!) It is fitted with 185-60-15 tyres and has no spare tyre but it does have room for a full size spare
My question is, I have seen a brand new full size wheel and tyre plus the jack and wheelbrace advertised for this car but the tyre is 185-65-15 would this be legal ??
I know its not Rover question but I am sure somebody here will know thanks V

Last edited by Mangizmo; 12th June 2021 at 14:33..
Mangizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2021, 16:26   #2
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangizmo View Post
My wife has just bought a Dacia Logan MCV estate car (amazing value!!!) It is fitted with 185-60-15 tyres and has no spare tyre but it does have room for a full size spare
My question is, I have seen a brand new full size wheel and tyre plus the jack and wheelbrace advertised for this car but the tyre is 185-65-15 would this be legal ??
No idea if illegal. I think here and most places it is, because you must not drive with different sized tires on the same "axle". By extension, different size tires on the same axle will surely cause an ABS fault.

Now, that said, I don't know why those mini spare tires are permitted, but they do have speed and distance restrictions.

The last time I had to put on a spare tire on the side of the road was sometime in the 1970's. I pay for CAA (roadside assistance) every year and called them for help four times in my life - 3 of those were for motorcycles.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2021, 17:21   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Get a spare! Those cans of shaving foam/puncture sealant are ok if its a small hole but useless for anything else. I'd just got the 260 (they didn't come with a spare) when I ran over something on the M74, limped into the services (less than a mile) and had a look see. Got the can of shaving foam, it came out the hole in the tyre just as quick as it went in the valve Called the RAC and waited three hours for a flatbed to get us home, it happened around 1am. When I got up later that day first thing I did was source a spare.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2021, 19:23   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangizmo View Post
If those wheels are difficult to find then buy the wheel and change the tyre.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2021, 19:35   #5
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
If those wheels are difficult to find then buy the wheel and change the tyre.---
Yep, I think that might be the way forward
Old 12th June 2021, 20:03   #6
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Definitely get a spare tyre, it's a massive bonus that the car is designed to accommodate one.

Our cars failed an MoT on one of its tyres and the MoT station would not fit the spare because it was a different size - it was a new-ish car and I'd had no idea that the spare was different.

I'm not sure if it's illegal to have mismatched tyres sizes, but it's certainly ill-advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Now, that said, I don't know why those mini spare tires are permitted, but they do have speed and distance restrictions.
Same rolling radius, which is the important thing.

Colvert is definitely on the money saying that if the wheel rim is difficult to come by then buy it for that and get the tyre swapped.
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2021, 06:11   #7
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Definitely get a spare tyre, it's a massive bonus that the car is designed to accommodate one.

Our cars failed an MoT on one of its tyres and the MoT station would not fit the spare because it was a different size - it was a new-ish car and I'd had no idea that the spare was different.

I'm not sure if it's illegal to have mismatched tyres sizes, but it's certainly ill-advised.

Same rolling radius, which is the important thing.

Colvert is definitely on the money saying that if the wheel rim is difficult to come by then buy it for that and get the tyre swapped.
That all makes sense and thanks guys, I have ordered the wheel which has a brand new tyre but I will have to get it changed, and yes its a big bonus that the car has space for a full size spare, I am very impressed with the vehicle, its a budget car but has loads of space (more load space than a 75 tourer even) its a no nonsense vehicle that didnt cost a fortune, I bet they wont stay budget prices for much longer as they slowly go upmarket, anyhow, wheel and tyre ordered thanks V