Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th June 2021, 16:22   #61
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 3,273 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Macron has an election coming soon?

I seem to remember that some time ago there was a referendum in the Republic, the outcome of which was "inconvenient/unacceptable" to the then Irish governmant and they did not accept the result?
Macron’s election is 2022 - he is currently trailing LePen but not by enough that he would lose outright. So if other candidates then allocate their votes to him - he would still get elected. It’s the old story - put a 100 French people in a room and you have 100 political parties. And I very much like that!!!

I think it better than the old “tribal loyalties” of our U.K. politics. At least in the past - things do seem to have changed.

Bulgaria has a GE in July, Norway in September- and of course Germany also in September when Merkel steps down.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2021, 17:56   #62
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,404 Times in 848 Posts

Does EU see NI as not part of UK? No of course not, but they would never admit it. They are doing all they can to butter up the Republic and avoid the rot that is forming on the mainland spreading to other EU states. Is Macron representative of other EU leaders? No, he is out in the cold a bit and even seen as a creep and untrustworthy.

EU is desperate not to be seen as subservient to UK after the failure to retain UK membership by setting traps and building phoney objections in trying to stop UK secession. Significant amounts of Barnierís performance was contrary to EU constitution and the fact that they could not stop UK secession made them look foolish. When they saw UK making waves around the world, in spite of pulling every trick they could think of, they were embarrassed. So they now try to create more problems to save face.
Old 13th June 2021, 18:42   #63
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 3,273 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Does EU see NI as not part of UK? No of course not, but they would never admit it. They are doing all they can to butter up the Republic and avoid the rot that is forming on the mainland spreading to other EU states. Is Macron representative of other EU leaders? No, he is out in the cold a bit and even seen as a creep and untrustworthy.

EU is desperate not to be seen as subservient to UK after the failure to retain UK membership by setting traps and building phoney objections in trying to stop UK secession. Significant amounts of Barnierís performance was contrary to EU constitution and the fact that they could not stop UK secession made them look foolish. When they saw UK making waves around the world, in spite of pulling every trick they could think of, they were embarrassed. So they now try to create more problems to save face.
I think you are right Ray - to me this looks like brinkmanship with no intention of ever letting it go as far as a legal challenge because if it did then the absolute certainty of NIís status within the U.K. would trump any silly word wooze shenanigans from the EU side.

So to me - this all smacks of ďletís all fool sleepy Joe Biden into pressurising BJ into agreeing what we (EU) wants as he keeps telling people he is Irish and is not that enamoured with the British and so if we want a Trade Deal with the USA - then we have to agree with the nonsense and lies of the EU.

And I think this has backfired - I doubt that Raab would have come out as strong as he did this morning if we had not managed to convince the US that all is that as the EU would have him believe.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2021, 19:46   #64
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

The EU are hellbent on demonstrating how bad it would be for other members to attempt to cede (not that many, if any, would be in a position to do so 'cos all the likely candidates are still far too deeply in hock to attempt it) whilst still attempting to make our departure as awkward and difficult as possible - they're still very pi...d o.f. with the Brexit outcome ' cos for the first time they've failed in their best endeavours to undermine and subjugate an EU ship jumper.
They made chumps of themselves by allowing some administrator to push the Article 16 button over the C-19 vaccines (openly demonstrating to the watching virus ridden world how dysfunctional their Council juggernaut is in the process).
Now it's sausages/the chilled meats regulations that just over six months back appeared to be a breeze, a minor procedural exercise amongst many small adjustments that had to be dealt with!!
They prefer to sulk and fall back on NI 'draft' regulations/paperwork they knew full well was a work in progress when the Withdrawal Agreement came into effect. As mentioned in an earlier post, they are going around with a hump and eventually, as they managed to do recently with Switzerland (after was it 9 years of 'negotiations') kick themselves, very hard, in the backside.
Who in their right mind would trust an organisation (apparently with an unelected, un-accountable executive representing almost 600M people and 27 country entities and an enormous budget) that has avoided an audit for more than 10 years! Not relatively new boys Greece (by any measure an economic basket case that somehow gained entry to the exclusive EU club by NOT ticking most of it's own financial and regulatory check boxes) nor founder member Italy (another economic basket case) both given the leper treatment by their 'friends' and master. Ireland are getting similar harsh treatment right now having played the EU's willing fool over Brexit - who needs enemies with friends like the EU gang.
I'll now shut up and watch the drama unfold but unless there is a continental reality check soon it's going to be ta ta to the agreement - and good ridance say I.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote