Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th September 2014, 22:12   #1
bear-mg
Loves to post

mg zt cdti 160👍

Default noisy interior

I was wondering does anyone else find their zt's interior to rattle? I find mine quite noisy inside compared to my last car (mk3 mondeo) also find the road noise to be quite loud on long journeys which is a disappointment ...dare I say it the mondy seemed allot better put together then my zt ....
the zt's plastics feel very cheap and inferior , I've had quite a few rovers over the years and a zs not so long ago but find the zt's overall build quality to be abit poor ...
bear-mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 22:31   #2
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I fitted some extra insulation into the rear wing areas and boot floor to My V6. It made quite a difference to mine.

I used a mattress we had purchased and did not like and as no one wanted it I put it to good use using all that lovely stuffing.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 22:43   #3
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

My dash vibrates, its not bad but its one of those that drives you nuts, I have checked all the usual suspect bits but I have never been able to shift it.
I drive down the road pushing and pulling at bits of trim and dash to try and isolate it.
My last car was a Vectra B diesel, sold with 178k on it and not a rattle inside at all, even the steering wheel didn't vibrate.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 06:54   #4
carguy143
This is my second home

MG ZT 190+

Door pins are the usual suspect. On mine I also had a rattle as someone didn't screw the pedal surround plastic back down properly. If you've got an aftermarket stereo it could be worth pulling it out and cable tying everything in place.

It may not happen very often but if I say something helpful please hit the "thanks" button as it helps other users.

Thank you.

No. 16 of only 52 Nocturne Blue 75/ZT ever produced. ONLY TEN of these were ZT 190+

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-uk/263467.png
carguy143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 07:04   #5
nomzamo999
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Mine doesn't rattle, but it is important to remember that the ZT was designed with less soundproofing than the 75.
It was intended to give a more sporty experience, and put the driver more in touch with the car.
I loved my 75 when I had one, but I could only hear the beautiful V6 sound under hard acceleration, which is not what the 75 is about.
nomzamo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 09:28   #6
chrishumphries
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 connoisseur CDTI TOUR & ZTT+ CDTi Tourer - both in rare starlight silver

you re not joking about less sound proofing in the ZT ! The road noise is appalling compared to my 75, to the point I'm seriously thinking of selling it and concentrating my efforts on putting the connie back on the road.
chrishumphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 09:37   #7
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

The only "creaking" i have is the side of the seat against the center console.

Every so often ill put some silicone on it.........job done.

No other rattles to report.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 09:44   #8
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Sound proofing to the bulkhead and door linings was removed on ZT models. They claimed it would add to the sporting dynamics and for owners to hear the sound of the car, especially on V6 models.

Door cards are a culprit for interior rattle, broken clips don't help. Door locking pins are another.

I doubt very much the build quality on the Mondeo is better though..
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 09:54   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Creaking dash components can sometimes by quietened down by spraying all the panel joints with a silcone lubricant. You can get very light, stain-free sprays which do a good job. It lasts a few weeks to months, but most effective in the cooler part of the year when the panels are stiffer and creakier.

Road/tyre noise is usually down to tyre type and size and the degree of tread wear. Obviously low profile tyres are much noisier than what is typically fitted to a 75. The tyre brand will also affect road noise. When replacing tyres, look for the decibel rating. This is now a legal requirement under EU regulations. The decibel figure is an indication of road noise level. Ratings below about 68 are likely to be quiet. Goodyear produces some very quiet tyres. They have some at 67dB, which is very low noise. Remember the decibel scale is logarithmic so a difference of 1dB means an approximate ten-fold difference in noise output.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 6th September 2014 at 09:56..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 10:21   #10
bear-mg
Loves to post

mg zt cdti 160👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishumphries View Post
you re not joking about less sound proofing in the ZT ! The road noise is appalling compared to my 75, to the point I'm seriously thinking of selling it and concentrating my efforts on putting the connie back on the road.
I know what you mean , i'm thinking of possibly parting company with mine , I love the look of the car and the way it handles but the build quality is seriously poor for such a large car.... Before I do im gona try some extra sound proofing to see if that helps with the noise , it reminds me of my first car many moons ago a citroen ax gt , now that was a noisy old bus!!!
bear-mg is offline   Reply With Quote