Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th June 2015, 21:03   #1
bilsan330
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Estate

Default Clonking Noise

Hi everyone in Rover Land land. I have a Rover 75 Connoisseur Manual SE T Estate 2003 with 90K Love it too bits but trying to sort out some problems as I have only just got it...

Can you tell me what is directly underneath the hand brake area under the car that can cause a clonking sound when going over a bump in the road..Are there bushes or something that can cause a knocking .it seems to come right under the hand brake area,,I cant get under the car to see.....any ideas what can cause this.....

Thanks

Bill
bilsan330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 21:31   #2
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

04 MG ZT+ 190 XPG & 99 (T) Dealer Launch 75 V6 Connie Auto

Usually a clocking/knocking on the front end is usually one of a few things. Either Drop links, Anti roll bar bushes, Ball joints in the lower wishbone, Wishbone rear bearings or Strut top mount bearings. All are a cheap fix apart from the Ball joints, as you have to replace the entire wishbone (plus the bearing whilst you are there).

Oh as it is central, it could also be the lower engine mount! Do you get vibration through the centre console when pulling away?

To be sure all you can really do is jack the front end up, pop her on axle stands and have a good look and feel around.

Sorry I cant be more specific, maybe another member can narrow things down.

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
daznkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 17:39   #3
bilsan330
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Estate

Default Clonking Noise.

Hi Guys thanks for your imput but can you believe I have found where the clonking sound is coming from, Right under the gear lever area where I thought it came is the exhaust pipe and it just clears a cross member on the body work by about 3cm. The mid way box is held by 2 rubber bushes which had lost their strength and allowed the exhaust pipe to knock on the cross member..so on replacing the bushes I have a nice quiet drive sorted.
bilsan330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 17:50   #4
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

04 MG ZT+ 190 XPG & 99 (T) Dealer Launch 75 V6 Connie Auto

Well done on finding the problem! Glad you got it sorted!

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
daznkel is offline   Reply With Quote