Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th January 2016, 10:27   #1
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Default How do you find your brakes?

So general question here because I'm interested in everyone's opinions on this.

On most new cars I've driven as you depress the brake pedal there comes a point when the brakes really cut in and you feel them bite. With my ZT, I don't really get that, I find them much more progressive - meaning you need more pedal travel to achieve the same stopping distance. It really came to my attention when a tyre fitter recently drove my car and said he thought there was something wrong with the brakes as it hadn't stopped when he expected it to.

Overall I must say that while I've not had any problems so far, I don't find the brakes as good as other similar sized cars I've driven. But maybe that's just me. Would be interested to hear if anyone's upgraded to 190 brakes and how they found that.
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 10:39   #2
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Just fitted PAGID discs and pads all round on my tourer and they are just superb. They Now have that 'cut in' feeling you describe.

When I drive the ZT, I realised how bad they are but they are due to be replaced so I'll be fitting the PAGID again.

See here for info. . . .
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=154373
Old 4th January 2016, 10:50   #3
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Ok, interesting. I just changed my rear discs and pads for new TRW ones and can't say I've noticed any change. Maybe when the time comes for my front ones to be done I'll noticed the difference then. Or perhaps I should just change them now anyway? Hmmmm...
Old 4th January 2016, 10:53   #4
LotusLC
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi Auto / ZT-T Trophy Blue

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,238 Posts

I did the 190 upgrade on the ZT and they are a lot better now. When i drive my Tourer which has standard pagid brakes you do not get the same confidence in them, they are adequate but 190's are way better.....

https://i.imgur.com/Cwa3376m.jpg
LotusLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 10:56   #5
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Might I suggest that if you do go down the 190 brake route, consider fitting a set of Goodridge braided hoses. Combined with good discs and pads, you should get the performance that you're looking for.
Old 4th January 2016, 10:58   #6
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Ok, thanks. Interested in the 190 upgrade, but having just paid for new rear discs I'm reluctant to splash out unless I really need to. I wonder what it would cost to do the full 190 upgrade? Do you mind if I ask how much you paid?
Old 4th January 2016, 11:07   #7
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Type and quality aside, it's a good starting point to check the system. All caliper sliding surfaces should be de-rusted and pads should slide free. Pistons should not be seized and move in and out freely. System obviously needs to be free from air, and brake lines not leaking. When all these checks are made and found to be ok then you're down to the quality of parts as to how effective your brakes are.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 11:09   #8
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Another vote for the 190 brakes. I've only fitted the front 190 brakes at the moment and the difference was massive! Only need to press down on the brake pedal a little and there was already loads of stopping power. Took me a little while to get used to it as I kept braking too hard by accident at first.

I have Mtec drilled and grooved disks and pads on mine
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 11:10   #9
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Ok, thanks Heddy. I might get my mechanic to give it a full check over.
Old 4th January 2016, 13:33   #10
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

My ZT-T's brakes are not a patch on the modern cars I drive and they are pretty basic. My Hyundai i20s were far superior even though I got rid of that car with 4700 miles done because it was the most unreliable car I have ever owned starting with its first breakdown at two days old.

The other car I drive is a Golf 1.4s so pretty basic but whenever I get into that the brakes are so fierce compared to the MG I have to adjust how much pressure I apply to the pedal.

The brakes have recently been completely replaced the work done mainly by Big Russ with me labouring and at his recommendations Unipart all round was used. We also did a T4 bleed. These are positive and work well but do need much more effort than a modern. For me that's no great problem as I also have a 36 year old classic and that's the same.

I am not a fan of PAGID (nor is Big Russ) as this car had had new pads and discs fitted about a year before I got it that had done about 6k. They
were ok on test drive but not great and not long after purchase it
suffered massive fade and this was caused by the discs all having hard spots in them. The soft areas had worn faster than the hard and created valleys that filled up with compacted brake dust causing vastly reduced stopping power. The pads were hardly worn just showing groves caused by the discs. Big Russ has told me, and others at meets, that the brakes on this car were the worst he has ever seen on any car he's worked on.

I know a lot rate them but after that experience I would never use them on anything ever again, they nearly killed me.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote