Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th April 2017, 08:48   #1
golmichael

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Harmon Kardon System

Hi All,
I hope someone of you can help with a non functioning Harmon Kardon system in my 2004 Rover 75 C0ntempoary Tourer. Having been advised that water ingression to the tuner in the bootwell was responsible I replaced it along with the head unit. Unfortunately this didn't have the desired result and all that changed was a blue background light appeared on the head unit. I have disconnected the TV unit along with the Sat Nav as they are no currently obsolete.
Not alone am I having radio problems but the car has adopted a mind of its own in the sense that the windscreen wipers are liable to start working even when the car is parked up. I would greatly appreciate any help as I absolutely love the Rover 75 experience
golmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 08:58   #2
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golmichael View Post
Hi All,
I hope someone of you can help with a non functioning Harmon Kardon system in my 2004 Rover 75 C0ntempoary Tourer. Having been advised that water ingression to the tuner in the bootwell was responsible I replaced it along with the head unit. Unfortunately this didn't have the desired result and all that changed was a blue background light appeared on the head unit. I have disconnected the TV unit along with the Sat Nav as they are no currently obsolete.
Not alone am I having radio problems but the car has adopted a mind of its own in the sense that the windscreen wipers are liable to start working even when the car is parked up. I would greatly appreciate any help as I absolutely love the Rover 75 experience
Sounds like the plenum problem again?
Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 09:33   #3
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Is it a Diesel ?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 10:09   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golmichael View Post
I have disconnected the TV unit along with the Sat Nav ...
I'm afraid that you cannot do that Michael if you want the audio system to work. You will need to reconnect them. I would also advise refitting your original radio module (tuner) and head unit (known as the Bordmonitor) then tell us, in as much detail as possible, what happens when you try to use the radio.

On the face of it is sounds as if you might have a problem with one of the multiplex busses.

Simon
Old 24th April 2017, 11:03   #5
golmichael

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Is it a Diesel ?
Sorry I omitted to state that the Rover is the two litre diesel model
golmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 16:05   #6
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Wipers going nuts is quite likely a frayed through cable inside the nearside wing - there's a (I think) red and green cable which runs in the loom and is the switched earth feed from the BCU - if that frays through an touches bodywork then the wipers will run - as a short term fix you can remove relay 1 from the under bonnet fusebox as that's the one that feeds the slow speeds on the wipers, and they can't run without that.

To check the wiring loom itself, you're looking at taking the passenger front wheel off, removing the plastic inner wheelarch cover and then the loom will be the bundle of 50-60 cables just on your left as you're looking inwards - it's probably frayed on the bit of the chassis that it passes over in there - if you find the bit that's frayed you can wrap it with electrical tape and then move the entire loom a little to stop it fraying again.
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 17:03   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Before anyone jumps to conclusions about wiper behaviour, transposed switched and permanent live wiring in aftermarket head units and redundant K-Bus wiring causes just such faults

In terms of the HK setup, I was led to believe that the amplifier is completely separate to the original radio so can be used as a standalone system with whichever head unit your desire.

Mind you wireless are not my forte, as long as you can get Radio 2, I don't mind what is fitted

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 17:10   #8
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Before anyone jumps to conclusions about wiper behaviour, transposed switched and permanent live wiring in aftermarket head units and redundant K-Bus wiring causes just such faults

In terms of the HK setup, I was led to believe that the amplifier is completely separate to the original radio so can be used as a standalone system with whichever head unit your desire.

Mind you wireless are not my forte, as long as you can get Radio 2, I don't mind what is fitted

Brian
You are correct Brian, the amp is a separate unit located in the O/S boot cubby, mounted where the white parking module lives. I've lost count of the amount of K-bus faults caused by people tapping into it for a live feed
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 22:09   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The HK unit is indeed completely separate to the radio module. However, I don't believe that it has unused low level pre-amp inputs which would exclude its direct connection to a head unit.

If anyone knows the input arrangements of the HK amplifier intimately and knows otherwise, I'm all ears.

Simon
Old 24th April 2017, 22:40   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
The HK unit is indeed completely separate to the radio module. However, I don't believe that it has unused low level pre-amp inputs which would exclude its direct connection to a head unit.

If anyone knows the input arrangements of the HK amplifier intimately and knows otherwise, I'm all ears.

Simon
The inputs to the HK amplifier come directly from the speaker output of the head unit in DIN format, diagram attached Simon

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Premium Audio.pdf (61.3 KB, 32 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote