Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th December 2020, 16:29   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default changing water pumpe when

Not Rover but in general, is it good practice to change the water pump when changing the serpentine belt and or cam belt?
My sister has a 2005 For fiesta and is thinking of having the cam belt changed. I am sure I read somewhere that it is advisable to change water pumps on cars at the same time, due to tension being released on the pump and it could leak.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 16:45   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I got Lates600 to change my water pump when he did the timing belts this year. The one fitted was not leaking and I have kept it for a spare. It is advisable go. to have it changed.
Old 27th December 2020, 16:54   #3
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I change the water pump if it is/ could be leaking. If there is no coolant loss, I leave alone. If changed, best to get an oem quality one.
Old 27th December 2020, 17:14   #4
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

It’s one of those questions where there is no right or wrong answer. No manufacturer stipulates the changing of the water pump at the same time as the cambelt change but it’s time effective to do it. If I do a K series I will always change the water pump. I changed the cambelt on our Fiat 500 and left the genuine pump on as in my opinion it was better quality than anything available after market. If somebody was paying a garage to do the work then I’d advise to have it changed at the same time.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 27th December 2020 at 17:19.. Reason: Spelling
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 17:24   #5
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
....... and left the genuine pump on as in my opinion it was better quality than anything available after market.
And that's the quandary in a nutshell ! Who wants to take off a good one and replace it with a piece of rubbish which won't last as long as the one you took off ?
If it is a big job then there is sense in replacing it whilst you are in there , but do make sure you pay for top quality !
Old 27th December 2020, 18:29   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

ok guys thanks

may be I should get a Haynes manual for the car and look to see how difficult it is.
Right now I am nit in a position to do the work for her

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 18:40   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Not Rover but in general, is it good practice to change the water pump when changing the serpentine belt and or cam belt?
My sister has a 2005 For fiesta and is thinking of having the cam belt changed. I am sure I read somewhere that it is advisable to change water pumps on cars at the same time, due to tension being released on the pump and it could leak.

macafee2
As previously said by others. Better the devil you know.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 23:11   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
And that's the quandary in a nutshell ! Who wants to take off a good one and replace it with a piece of rubbish which won't last as long as the one you took off ?
If it is a big job then there is sense in replacing it whilst you are in there , but do make sure you pay for top quality !

In the case of the M47R my original water pump gave up the ghost just shy of 300k miles and the replacement lasted 60k, so I just check for play and leakage when replacing the belt, and if both are fine I leave well alone.
Mike Noc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 11:47   #9
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

my 2.5 kv6 had 3 water pumps in over 3 months, all started weeping seal within weeks. Thank god that time the repair shop supplied the parts and had to do the refits free . They ended up calling thee supplier in the end and finally got one decent pump out of their chinese supplier!!
Got a good run out of a Cont branded one out of the eu.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 00:42   #10
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

When I did my Freelander 2 TD4 a few months ago I changed the water pump timing belt and tensioner all at the same time, it’s a personal opinion but I always do the “set” it just seems logical that while your there do the lot, I do this on any system like that regardless of if it MGR or any other make, but I do understand why some don’t due to the rubbish aftermarket pumps currently being sold that ain’t fit for purpose being made god knows where.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote