Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th February 2021, 16:34   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Cracking little jump starter for the boot

Have to say that I'm very impressed with this compact jump starter that I've had for probably about two years now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUAOKI-2000.../dp/B07F5TLKH3

I know that we've discussed such items a few times on here but I just keep this in the boot and have probably used it twice in the last 8 months following drain from too many short trips over the last year plus the meaty chunk of battery that using the FBH used lately in the cold weather seems to take despite a couple of car battery top ups and maintenance charges from my battery charger every couple of months.

My house parking set up is two spaces one behind the other so if the back car doesn't start up its a major inconvenience if forced to wait for home breakdown services help, especially if I'm in a rush.

As mentioned I've just left it in the boot for the last 8 months without recharging, used it twice, including yesterday after discovering the battery flat, its kicked over and started the engine immediately both times and is still showing 97% charged ready for the next use when required.

Much easier and convenient than the old faff of hunting out jump leads and repositioning cars to accommodate etc etc.

I'd heartily recommend if you're contemplating such a purchase. ( that's not to say that there aren't other similarly decent units available of course)

Last edited by bendrick; 14th February 2021 at 16:38..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 23:02   #2
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Currently out of stock. What do they cost please?
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 01:55   #3
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Cost me about £65 if I remember correctly and I see them about the £70 ish mark when they're in stock.

A little bit of a lump to fork out just in case admittedly but I decided to buy one after getting stranded a few years back and decided it wouldn't happen again if it was just down to battery problems.

Its also very much of a pain asking other people if they are prepared to give you a jump start with all the hassle that involves rather than just whipping a small power pack out of the boot, bothering no one and getting yourself going with the minimum of effort.

I used to have one of those really large power pack things for years but it never held a charge for more than a week or two and was pretty massive and unwieldy compared to this one.
Old 15th February 2021, 09:08   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
... used it twice, including yesterday after discovering the battery flat ...
Hi Kevin,

It's a remarkable accessory I agree but don't overlook the need to charge your battery for at least 24 hours otherwise you'll be spending another £70 soon on replacing it!

Simon
Old 15th February 2021, 10:19   #5
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Found this one, but is it too good to be true at £45.99?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-St...motive&sr=1-18

Last edited by edwardmk; 15th February 2021 at 10:20.. Reason: missing info
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 12:40   #6
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Having just tried such a jump starter yesterday, I'd say these are OK if the battery is not too discharged. Which is probably a very fine line on a diesel!

My battery was very discharged after the cold spell we'd had and being left for weeks without use. Tried to start it and just a click, after attempting to turn over once.

Borrowed my brother's jump starter - a "DBPower 250A / 500A peak 10800mAh" pack. This was fully charged. Connected it up, turned it on, waited for the green light, etc. Nothing but clicks when I tried to start. Left for a minute and tried again. Turned over but would not fire.

In the end gave it a quick charge for 30 minutes and it started. Then gave it a good run. The battery still needs a full charge to get it back to good health.

The pack I used it not as "powerful" as the other mentioned. But then are these all just numbers and can we trust any of them from a chinese no brand??
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 13:43   #7
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Kevin,

It's a remarkable accessory I agree but don't overlook the need to charge your battery for at least 24 hours otherwise you'll be spending another £70 soon on replacing it!

Simon
Yup thanks for that, I did fully charge the battery just a month ago for about 12 hours or so until it indicated fully charged on all the indicators on the unit.
as I don't have a garage and the end has to go through the letterbox to the car outside leaving it on 24 hours is a bit of a challenge.

The battery is a Yuasa silver, supposedly top model and its a bit disappointing that it had run flat ( started up today OK).

My mileage is down to next to nothing at the moment due to obvious reasons with just the odd pop to the local supermarket less half a mile away, no long runs. I've fired up the FBH a couple of times when doing so and I have noticed in the past as well whenever that is done is does seem to drain the battery.

It doesn't really matter normally when doing my normal mileage on trips but is clearly affecting the battery at the moment.
Old 15th February 2021, 13:54   #8
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
Having just tried such a jump starter yesterday, I'd say these are OK if the battery is not too discharged. Which is probably a very fine line on a diesel!

My battery was very discharged after the cold spell we'd had and being left for weeks without use. Tried to start it and just a click, after attempting to turn over once.

Borrowed my brother's jump starter - a "DBPower 250A / 500A peak 10800mAh" pack. This was fully charged. Connected it up, turned it on, waited for the green light, etc. Nothing but clicks when I tried to start. Left for a minute and tried again. Turned over but would not fire.

In the end gave it a quick charge for 30 minutes and it started. Then gave it a good run. The battery still needs a full charge to get it back to good health.

The pack I used it not as "powerful" as the other mentioned. But then are these all just numbers and can we trust any of them from a chinese no brand??

I suppose everybody must pass on their own experiences when using such units which understandably might all have differing levels of success

It is a bit hit and miss reading Amazon reviews on these items also when we know so many unfortunately are proven to be false and misleading.

When I was considering buying I went on YouTube and watched a number of American blokes firing up big 5 litre diesel cars /truck thingys in scrapyards and the like with these units. Its doubtful that these blokes had any connection with the manufacturers so more likely to be impartial views I would have thought which persuaded me to take a chance.

I suppose its obvious that these things aren't the be all and end all of roadside car repair but just a string in the bow to maybe get you going in a tight spot and certainly in the twice or so that I've used mine proved a real quick solution that got me going when I needed to and without the major hassle of jump leads and organising another car to help.
Old 15th February 2021, 14:25   #9
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Repeating what I said in an earlier post (sometime last year), I purchased one from Rimmers nearly 4 years ago now. Holds a very good charge, and has always worked. It is not branded, but I was told that it was a Land Rover/Range Rover product at that time, and would easily start anything up to 4 litres. From memory it cost around £85, and the guy told me that he had managed 5 starts over a year without it needing to be charged. Perhaps you do get what you pay for.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2021, 15:23   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... as I don't have a garage and the end has to go through the letterbox to the car outside leaving it on 24 hours is a bit of a challenge.
Thanks for your reply Kevin. The solution is to bring the battery indoors for charging.
Quote:
The battery is a Yuasa silver, supposedly top model and its a bit disappointing that it had run flat.
Any battery will eventually run flat if a full state of charge isn't maintained irrespective of the fancy name the manufacturer gives it. It doesn't help that our cars draw a significant current for up to 20 minutes each time they're locked and unlocked. I've had battery trouble recently too.

Simon