Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th May 2021, 12:03   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

To tourist.

If you are going to remove the arms it helps a lot to remove the track rod ball joint.---It is much easier to manoeuver the arm into place with it removed.

To help getting the rubber bush bolts into place I jacked up the vertical suspension leg slightly.--( With care. )--This slightly rotates the housing and will give better alignment of the two bolts into the frame threads.

Take care getting the bolts into the threaded holes. If possible by hand for the first couple of turns.

Best of luck with it.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2021, 17:22   #12
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
To tourist.

If you are going to remove the arms it helps a lot to remove the track rod ball joint.---It is much easier to manoeuver the arm into place with it removed.

To help getting the rubber bush bolts into place I jacked up the vertical suspension leg slightly.--( With care. )--This slightly rotates the housing and will give better alignment of the two bolts into the frame threads.

Take care getting the bolts into the threaded holes. If possible by hand for the first couple of turns.

Best of luck with it.---
I agree. I disconnected the track rod end then turned the hub and kept it pushed out of the way with a jack handle. this allowed me to lift up the arm so that the rear bush lay flat on the subframe and I was able to get one bolt started.

It wasn't a bad job in the end. I only had to stop to pick up a forked ball joint splitter.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2021, 18:22   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
I agree. I disconnected the track rod end then turned the hub and kept it pushed out of the way with a jack handle. this allowed me to lift up the arm so that the rear bush lay flat on the subframe and I was able to get one bolt started.

It wasn't a bad job in the end. I only had to stop to pick up a forked ball joint splitter.
Exactly as you say. Get one bolt started. If the first one is difficult then try the other one.--Once one bolt is in then the second one becomes very easy.---
Old 27th May 2021, 19:19   #14
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Exactly as you say. Get one bolt started. If the first one is difficult then try the other one.--Once one bolt is in then the second one becomes very easy.---
An allen key can be useful to locate through the other hole in the bush and into the subframe to help line up the first bolt
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2021, 19:56   #15
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
An allen key can be useful to locate through the other hole in the bush and into the subframe to help line up the first bolt
Brilliant top tip !
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2021, 06:51   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Simon,

You won't have any problem starting or with cross threading the rear bush bolts if you use the method I described earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
The best way to release the 150Nm rear bush housing bolts is to remove the anti-roll bar saddle clamp and the bar can then be moved forwards (with it disconnected from the link). You can then use a hexagon impact socket on the bolts ...
However you approach the job, one thing which is seldom mentioned is that the hub/driveshaft will need to be raised by several inches to provide enough clearance to withdraw the lower arm inner balljoint.

Simon
Old 28th May 2021, 18:43   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I dropped the sub frame off the car to do the job, made getting the the bolts easy.
Seen posts about just lowering sub frame but I am not good at working in confined spaces.
I appreciate it is more work but is it any harder?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2021, 19:18   #18
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Hi Simon,

You won't have any problem starting or with cross threading the rear bush bolts if you use the method I described earlier.

However you approach the job, one thing which is seldom mentioned is that the hub/driveshaft will need to be raised by several inches to provide enough clearance to withdraw the lower arm inner ball joint.

Simon
Simon.

The problem isn't access it's angle. The bolt and hole need to be co-axial.

This is what makes it easy to get the bolt cross threaded.

Your method does not do what's needed. The mating surfaces of the bush carrier and the car have to be flat against one another.

Old 29th May 2021, 06:28   #19
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:

Your method does not do what's needed. The mating surfaces of the bush carrier and the car have to be flat against one another.
Hello Jon,

Tourist is replacing the whole lower arm, not just the rear bush on an existing arm in situ. The rear bush will therefore be in correct alignment as soon as he fits his new arm to the subframe so my method does "do what's needed".
Quote:
The problem isn't access it's angle.
Your angle problem is a direct result of poor access. The anti-roll bar runs above the bush housing front bolt. With the bar out of the way it's easy to fit both bolts and they can be tightened to the correct 150Nm which is possible only with the method I've described.

I have done exactly this myself in the last few weeks and without the inspection pit which you used.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 29th May 2021 at 07:04..
SD1too is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2021, 08:15   #20
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Hello Jon,

Tourist is replacing the whole lower arm, not just the rear bush on an existing arm in situ. The rear bush will therefore be in correct alignment as soon as he fits his new arm to the subframe so my method does "do what's needed".

Your angle problem is a direct result of poor access. The anti-roll bar runs above the bush housing front bolt. With the bar out of the way it's easy to fit both bolts and they can be tightened to the correct 150Nm which is possible only with the method I've described.

I have done exactly this myself in the last few weeks and without the inspection pit which you used.

Simon
It Doesn't matter if you are using a pit , ramp or working off the floor.
The angle problem has nothing to do with access on the subframe .
If the rear bush is fitted in the correct position on the arm , when fitting to the car, the arm should be lifted to the position it maintains for the approximate ride height position with the car on its wheels to mate the bush housing with the subframe .
This by design maintains a nearly neutral position of the bush when the car is stood on all four wheels reducing torsional loading thus prolonging life of the bush

That is the reason people have been able to change out the rear bushes without removing the wheels or jacking up the car while over a pit or on ramps , not a practice that I have tried out personally but know others have .

Last edited by TourerSteve; 29th May 2021 at 08:21..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote