Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th June 2021, 16:10   #21
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Talking Business. Opportunity

I see a future business opportunity.

Smuggling Aldi (Made in Ireland ?) sausages from NI to Ireland, hidden inside unused AZ vaccine packaging, in the back of R75 tourers ???

Sounds farcical, smuggling food inside drugs, but anything seems possible in the new EU !
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 16:59   #22
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
Nothing to moan about,the UK signed up to the deal.

No chilled meats to be imported from non EU countries,nothing to debate, its been agreed by our Government
Yes, you are right - to a certain extent. The UK was strong armed into a dogs breakfast that is the NI Protocol otherwise it was going to be 'no deal' time - the UK could have lived with that much better than could the EU.
I think everyone expected equitable/mutually beneficial solutions to the anticipated anomalies that inevitable would arise - relatively minor anomolies that is - pragmatic give/take solutions.
Unless the EU wise-up and retrieve their dummy the UK will either invoke Article 16 of the withdrawal agreement (and they would be within their rights to do so given the recent shenanigans) or we wait 42 or so months and let the good citizens of NI aire their views thro' the pre-agreed referendum to accept the status quo or shove it into the Irish Sea along with the border that goes with it.
The Republic are already suffering the fruits of their staunch support of the EU against Brexit
- reduced fishing rights (because the EU have divied out to other members a sizeable chunk of what Ireland already had pre-Brexit)
- a harmonised Corporation Tax that will cost Ireland's economy €3Bn/annum and likely departure of numerous prestige International corporate HQ's
- a probable Commission attack on Ireland's International neutrality stance
and, who would have thought good old Germany would be kicking against the EU law makers only 6 months after Brexit....
There are some arguments to support what (ex) remainers were shouting and flag waving about but boy am I glad the UK were able to go their own way on securing/funding a C-19 vaccine policy and how the past 6 months have shown much of the anti-Brexit hype was indeed a load of hot air.
I know we all don't agree but we really are far better off out than in - and it will get better, much better for an unfettered UK (and in due course, NI too).

Last edited by rab60bit; 10th June 2021 at 17:04..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 17:33   #23
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Perhaps the dinghies discarded from their Calais journey will be snapped up by some unscrupulous sellers of sausages and shipped under cover of darkness across the Irish waters. Looks like a good opportunity there
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 18:36   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
I see a future business opportunity.

Smuggling Aldi (Made in Ireland ?) sausages from NI to Ireland, hidden inside unused AZ vaccine packaging, in the back of R75 tourers ???

Sounds farcical, smuggling food inside drugs, but anything seems possible in the new EU !
No Aldi in Northern Ireland (only Lidl)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 18:56   #25
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

The border issue between north and south as most of you can imagine is complicated and actually goes further than the 100 years (this year) of its existence. This is the fine line that British and NI politicians are treading. The EU do not consider the embattled history over it.

I read this BBC article when it was published about 3 years ago, and it gives a basic insight of the practical difficulties and some 'emotional' difficulties that concern it.

You could please one section of a community, whilst riling up the other at the merest whiff of anything that they feared. THIS being an example of the stupidity and ignorance of a tiny minority, who were trying to create a show of strength. It was not as bad as it reads, and the general consensus was that it was embarrassing for the so called loyalist leadership (loyalist terrorists) - they urged young kids to go on to the streets and create a disturbance. Those kids were 10-16 years old and obviously had no idea of what they were doing or why. And another local news story of that trouble HERE.

Old 10th June 2021, 20:28   #26
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Doubt if Boris gained any new fans by travelling from Stanstead to Newquay en route to Carbis Bay by chartered Airbus A321. Add to that its nearly an hour by road from Newquay to Carbis Bay.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 23:03   #27
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Where exactly do you think all those trucks - that still criss-cross the channel all day, every day (all loaded up both ways and look, no queues....) - are going, little but rich Liechtenstein?
We still trade substantially with the EU and they with us - but it's different. Give it some time to bed in, meantime we are again masters of our destiny and there's a whole 'other' world out there to go at.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2021, 07:15   #28
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Thanks for this, but your comment makes it sound like we struggle to live, (or struggled). For the most part and most areas life was quite normal. There were some things that were or could be considered as being 'different' (fortified police stations, or random check points for cars and vans as exqmples) but on the whole it was and still is a relatively normal place to live.

When people come here (more so in the 80s and 90s) the comments I hear are 'it's so different to what imagined'. They imagine(d) a literal war zone. There were some 'occurrences' of course, but there were and are more bomb scares in NYC than here! I just want people to know how beautiful, normal and actually safer a place it is to visit than even london, or Manchester.

I know it isn't relevant to the topic, but macafees comment concerned me. Besides we want more tourists, they can bring sausages that we dont need. (Seriously, search for the companies denny and cookstown lol). As well as this, when tourism resumes, they will go to the south as well or vice versa, and that will prove the issue of borders.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
I am one of these that always imagined it as a war zone as that is all I recall from the news. I am sorry if I caused offence as none was meant. It was more concern for peoples well being.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2021, 08:36   #29
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Post #35
The UK was strong armed into a dogs breakfast that is the NI Protocol otherwise it was going to be 'no deal' time - the UK could have lived with that much better than could the EU.

Evidence please for UK being ‘strong armed’ into NI Protocol ?
Also what about the all the years of being told that ‘No Deal is better than a bad deal’
Why then sign up to any deal?

So the very early rewriting of recent history begins !
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2021, 11:05   #30
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I am one of these that always imagined it as a war zone as that is all I recall from the news. I am sorry if I caused offence as none was meant. It was more concern for peoples well being.

macafee2
Dont worry, I knew no offence was meant nor was it taken. I am always saddened though that people thought/think like this. Whilst there were incidents, on most day to day life, for most people, it was no different to mainland life. 99% of the population too, did not want involved in any of the violence either.

As a result, visitors stayed away, watching the news instead. In reality, a beautiful country was left unseen - think Scotland, but more concentrated and accessible (imagine standing in any town and city, and in at least one direction being able to see some form of natural greenery, mountains or the sea).

I would also bet too, that Israel and Palestine on the most part is s a beautiful and 'normal' place. But we see it as a war zone, with fear in the eyes of citizens going about their daily lives.

THIS, now is the reality of life here, and has been since the mid 80s. (the Carrick in my location refers to Carrickfergus). But again these stories are rare in themselves, but are typical of any trouble that occurs. But if you read about the story, it is no different to any town or city where drugs gangs exist. (THIS gives a bit of background of the gang and their development into a criminal gang). Again this is not relevant to the OP, but I hope it gives a realisation that we are no different to any other country.