Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th June 2021, 19:07   #1
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Default Big Brothers after your dosh

Apparently Gloucestershire and Warwickshire police have been trialling new ANPR tech which is now being rolled out across the country. One new capability is to identify illegal number plates and issue immediate fines of £100 to the registered owner. My local TVP bobby tells me that from September 2021 number plates with illegal letter/number spacing and fonts are going to be targeted more and more and even raised lettering will be banned. He also said that non compliant backgrounds and symbols on the plate are also able to be detected with the new camera systems. So far I know of 3 people that have been caught by this system locally already. Sounds like a great money maker doesn't it

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 19:46   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

If number plates were such a big problem why dont they make more of them at the annual MOT. I have seen cars pass that would fail on one or more of the above but they are clear and legible or what ever the terminology is so they pass.

The number plates on my 260 are technically illegal as I dont have the postcode or the makers name on them but in the 4 years I have had them I have never once been asked to replace them.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 19:58   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
Apparently Gloucestershire and Warwickshire police have been trialling new ANPR tech which is now being rolled out across the country. One new capability is to identify illegal number plates and issue immediate fines of £100 to the registered owner. My local TVP bobby tells me that from September 2021 number plates with illegal letter/number spacing and fonts are going to be targeted more and more and even raised lettering will be banned. He also said that non compliant backgrounds and symbols on the plate are also able to be detected with the new camera systems. So far I know of 3 people that have been caught by this system locally already. Sounds like a great money maker doesn't it
Like speed cameras not a problem to those that do not exceed the speed limit, this system will not a problem to those with legal plates.

Should they have a public campaign to try to advise the public first and give them a chance to get legal plates?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 20:01   #4
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
Good. I hate them, and hate badly placed or fronted plates. Nothing says "drug dealing chav" quite like it. Get it up them for it.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 20:24   #5
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

I personally don't see too much of an issue with letter spacing - each to their own - as long as it can be clearly read which obviously it can if ANPR can identify the keeper. Its the ongoing development of ANPR vehicle tracking data to better identify a cloned plate that is surely more worthwhile to get rid of the "drug dealing chavs"

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 20:37   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Sorry, but it’s only a ‘money maker’ if you are a numpty. I drove behind a ,guess what, B*w the other day, and I could not read the rear number plate because it was not the correct colour, and the lettering was very dark. Also noticed a car with no number plates on at all two days ago. So all I can say is, very happy they are doing something about dick heads that use abortive plate details. You would not think it was a ‘ money maker’ if one of these paperhats hit you ard cleared off into the distance without you being able to read the number plate. Think about it for a moment.
Old 9th June 2021, 20:42   #7
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I wonder if they are also going to crack down on all the cars with no front number plates?
I did think of selling the self adhesive pads to German car manufacturers as it seems to be their cars that the front plates fall off from most.

Strange this, in my nearly 40 years of motoring I’ve never had a front plate fall off !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 22:37   #8
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

If the number can be read by anpr then it just a money making project. Just another dig at our freedom.
My number plates on and off have been mis spaced but perfectly legible .
Now the number plate spacing is mandatory not statutory .
So fines are a grey area unless the law gets changed .
Statute is the law . Mandatory is in effect (we rather you did).
So if I was to be stopped by police I would just say you clearly have time on your hands today .
If I received a fine would defiantly challenge it .I'm not a rebel but this is just another peck at our freedom
Old 9th June 2021, 23:19   #9
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I am President of my local Probus Club, and 2 years ago we had a talk by the gentleman who created the ANPR system - it can read anything you throw at it, so all this fuss about fonts and spacing is absolute rubbish. I would also add that if you ask a witness if they remember a number plate, the likelihood is that the ones made to spell something, even incorrectly spaced or fonted, are those which get a positive response. It's all about the money, as always.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 23:23   #10
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Sorry, but how does a number plate with incorrectly spaced letters make a vehicle unroadworthy or a danger to other road users?