Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th February 2017, 16:23   #1
matchless
Gets stuck in

Mazda cx7/1979 T140e

Default Knocking from front

Hi,
I have had a knocking from the front of my car for a while.
I cant seem to pin point it, but have, for now, ruled out shocks (new 4 months ago)and Top mounts (as shocks) .
I have had the car jacked up today, and I cant find any movement at any ball joint, or either drop link. The lower mount has been removed, and is fine.
I did have to replace the drivers side drive shaft,as the boot split for some reason when the shocks were being done, with an ebay one, which appeared good (and got a brand new outer cv joint free with it).
I am beginning to think its the drivers side drive shaft again, as when I "BOUNCE" the car the noise is coming from that area.
Could there be another cause?
The car has been very well looked after by the previous owner, I am just having his share of bad luck!
Thanks
Paul
matchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 14:26   #2
Mike24
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Auto Saloon Connoisseur SE

Diagnosing play in the ball joints can be difficult; when the car is on the ground the weight of the car is on the ball joints, when it's jacked up the force of the springs is on the ball joints. It wasn't until I removed mine that I was able to discern any play in them, and then it was only very slight. However, having replaced them, the knocking that I was hearing disappeared. It's a tricky call as lower suspension arms are not cheap and can be difficult to fit. Those who have successfully diagnosed play in the ball joints with the suspension arms on the car have tended to do so with the help of a very long lever.
Mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote