Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th November 2017, 07:33   #31
Tony Sirett
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tour

I've worked / lived all over the place, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, worked my way through America, theres lots of lovely places in all of these countries as well as bad places, it's not so much the places that make them good or bas as the people, their attitudes and behaviours.
I wouldn't say im proud to be English but when you arrive back in England after a trip abroard i do get the "I'm home feeling".
Tony Sirett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 07:55   #32
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sirett View Post
I've worked / lived all over the place, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, worked my way through America, theres lots of lovely places in all of these countries as well as bad places, it's not so much the places that make them good or bas as the people, their attitudes and behaviours.
I wouldn't say im proud to be English but when you arrive back in England after a trip abroard i do get the "I'm home feeling".
I know what you mean about getting home, I used to do sales trips to the States, would want to kiss the tarmac in Manchester or Heathrow after each trip, after visiting the dog end of Detroit or LA though, I did like Oregon.

Don't think we could afford to move to France so, it's Spain for us. We like the 3000 hours of sunshine on the Costa Blanca..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 08:34   #33
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I love "my home" and do not want to live anywhere else, except for Cornwall but that's another story. I'm happy with the U.K. Every country will have it's good, and bad points.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 09:30   #34
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

You have to live abroad before you start to appreciate so many things about the uk. But for sure the absence of Rover 75’s these days overseas compared to the uk has to be one reason to keep coming back. Living in Slovakia and having to drive a Mercedes is a strong driving force. The Mercedes is great to get you to the airport, but its the Rover for the real driving experience. Flying home i always try to get a window seat because there is always a great sense of comfort seeing the coast of England approach and proper green grass down below.

These days in Slovakia seeing a 75 is very rare. There is one connected to the building next to where I work but hardly ever see any others. Driving home from Manchester airport i usually see 4 or 5 and they still look the best cars on the road to me.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 10:12   #35
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I have no option of staying here, not to say that I dislike the UK. It has many advantages but it is a small overcrowded country now, certain things irritate me with too much PC correctness, a lowering of Christian standards and things we are used to, we go our distance to allow immigrants settle in and also give up our accepted ways we do things. Conversely if we go to some of those countries we are thrown in jail because we take a drink, take Tramadol for pain or even for being a Christian, somewhat one sided doun't you think.

We have to be thankful for the NHS and the care it gives albeit very much under pressure, with out it i'd not be typing the reply to this thread, Anne is on the list for a Hysterectomy and I have to get a knee replacement and a possible stent or second CABG once she is fit to look after me again, all this has made my depression worse. I would say though It is unlikely I'd get the same level of care elsewhere free.
In my 20's and early 30's I wanted to relocate to Czechoslovakia, I wonder what would have panned out for me there...... only God can answer that question.
Old 25th November 2017, 10:41   #36
SplendidChap
Avid contributor

Rover 75

The other thing about Australia, particularly in the south, is ozone layer depletion. Gone are the days of half-naked outdoor living, nowadays it's all high factor sunblock and covering up due to a big increase in skin cancer.

I like the political correctness and respect for others that we have in this country. It is in a long tradition of tolerance and giving shelter to the oppressed of which we should be proud. It saddens me when people rail against foreigners and just generally against people who don't conform to some stereotype of olde worlde Englishness.
SplendidChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 10:43   #37
matchless
Gets stuck in

Mazda cx7/1979 T140e

Default Home or away

If I had been asked 30 years ago where is the best place to live, my answer would be the UK 100%.
Having visited loads of countries since, and seeing both good and bad things in
all of them, sadly, I think now the UK is a hollow shell of what it once was.
And before I am bashed for being negative, it is just my personal opinion.
The National (or international!) health service has been brilliant (especially for my other half) and thats one thing to be grateful for.
Schooling seems confused, the Police cant Police, we have had the worst politicians, and worst business management in western Europe over the last 70 years (just look at what is actually British nowadays), and we dont look after our own, ie the elderly.
Cornwall is still a lovely place, and there are many others, obviously, around the UK. It just the dire weather, and a population that is too busy and stressed to enjoy things thats very off putting.
If I could afford a small villa in Mahon ,Menorca, that would be where I would like the next chapter in our lives to start... providing our FRIENDS on Europe dont spit the dummy out too far!.
Rant over.
matchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 10:55   #38
Tony Sirett
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tour

i must confess the older i get the more i hate our winter climate, broken many bones in the past (and not too distant past) and i ache in the cold weather, i can see the appeal of living in a warmer climate.
Tony Sirett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 10:57   #39
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

I was born in Bristol. I moved up to Scotland when I was 10. I have fond memories of Bristol and my childhood there. I had lots of friends from all different backgrounds and always felt welcome and safe.

My experience in Scotland hasn’t been a positive one. I have so many mental scars now that stay with me. Racism being a key factor. It’s something that I battle on a daily basis and I find it REALLY, REALLY hard...I’ve had councilling sessions over it but it hasn’t helped. It gets me down a lot. I'm on anti-depressants for the past 2 years. Again, this is a large factor. Not a lot of people know this at all, not even my parents.

I know when you’re a kid you think and experience things differently to when you’re an adult but when I was in Bristol, I didn’t encounter much prejudice. My parents a little at their work place but we could still walk the streets without being called a Paki or black basta rd, go back home etc.

I’ve been verbally abused countless times. I’ve been spat on. I’ve been kicked at. I’ve had my turban taken off my head on three occasions. I’ve been accused of lying by the police. I've been told by the Police we don't have time to investigate and have more urgent things to attend to. I’ve had no protection from anyone. The reason I’ve changed my appearance is to avoid conflict and abuse from others. I sometimes sit in my car and scared to go out to get milk and bread for my mum when she has sent me shopping in the fear of being attacked. I normally go at night now so there is less chance of me being seen. I've had anxiety attacks before. I've missed friends and family occassions living with this fear. I've missed going on nights out.

In Scotland, regularly, I would encounter racism and even now. I read a few years ago that Fife (where I live) came out on top for the most hate crimes against minorities in Scotland and I could very much believe that as it felt that way. Edinburgh is a lot better as it’s so diverse but Scotland as a whole isn’t and I think that’s where the problem stems. People are just so narrow minded.

To this day, I wish to move away from Scotland at some point. Maybe, some day when I’m settled with a family, my wish may come true. And, it’s all because of racism. As a country, Scotland is beautiful but the people have spoiled it for me. Not, everyone of course as I have some friends here but on a whole, it’s not been a good experience...

A few years ago, I had the courage to travel across the USA by myself for two months. I had the best time of my life out there. I went everywhere. Everyday, I interracted with people from all different backgrounds and never ONCE experienced any issues. I felt safer there then I did back home. It should never be like that...

Sorry if I’ve gone off topic.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s

Last edited by Ravinder; 25th November 2017 at 20:36.. Reason: edited
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 11:00   #40
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Wouldn’t mind living in Australia or New Zealand ,if it wasn’t for the spiders.