Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th January 2019, 12:27   #1
matchless
Gets stuck in

Mazda cx7/1979 T140e

Default Ecp rant

Well,
ordered a new air filter for my Mazda, picked it up yesterday, and today tried to fit it....its the wrong one.
Lucky for me, I deliberately ordered from a branch that is open on a Sunday, its not local, but it gives me the option to exchange over the weekend.
Went back today, none of the correct one in stock, but can get it for Tuesday, which I declined as I wont get to the branch before it shuts during the week.
I asked how can his data base know a) its the wrong one, b) what is the right one and c) how is it different to the online data base?
His answer said it all...the online one isnt that accurate!.
Did explain the two people getting refunds/exchanges yesterday whilst I was there.
This may have been said on the forum before, so sorry if this is going over old ground, but if they get a filter that wrong,what chance do they have for major parts?
matchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 12:33   #2
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

I think things at ECP will get much worse very soon now that the the top management has changed, they are looking for cuts and that is never good for any business.

ECP
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 14:04   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchless View Post
Well,
ordered a new air filter for my Mazda, picked it up yesterday, and today tried to fit it....its the wrong one.
Lucky for me, I deliberately ordered from a branch that is open on a Sunday, its not local, but it gives me the option to exchange over the weekend.
Went back today, none of the correct one in stock, but can get it for Tuesday, which I declined as I wont get to the branch before it shuts during the week.
I asked how can his data base know a) its the wrong one, b) what is the right one and c) how is it different to the online data base?
His answer said it all...the online one isnt that accurate!.
Did explain the two people getting refunds/exchanges yesterday whilst I was there.
This may have been said on the forum before, so sorry if this is going over old ground, but if they get a filter that wrong,what chance do they have for major parts?

I hope you feel better for having had the rant.

I suspect the two databases are in fact a single database, but the agent view of the database displays a lot more information about alternative fitments on a single model. This is a common approach with databases.

Personally, I am pleased for you that your problems in life are so little that an occurrence such as this requires a rant on a public forum.

In my life, an occurrence such as this would not even register on the "rant justified/needed" scale given the scale of my life's problems.. I envy you.

Last edited by MSS; 13th January 2019 at 14:09..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 14:25   #4
matchless
Gets stuck in

Mazda cx7/1979 T140e

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I hope you feel better for having had the rant.

I suspect the two databases are in fact a single database, but the agent view of the database displays a lot more information about alternative fitments on a single model. This is a common approach with databases.

Personally, I am pleased for you that your problems in life are so little that an occurrence such as this requires a rant on a public forum.

In my life, an occurrence such as this would not even register on the "rant justified/needed" scale given the scale of my life's problems.. I envy you.
Yep, made me feel a lot better, as this was put out as an (obviously insignificant) heads up to fellow forum members re the risk involved using a major spares supplier and the issues that could cause.
Not so sure the database explanation is valid, as it uses a registration number to call up the details of the car, with engine type etc, etc. So the online one should be correct, unless the database is different between online and in store (no alternatives given online, except makes of filter).
Old 13th January 2019, 14:32   #5
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

Been there done that with my Peugeot partner when the brake discs and pads given where incorrect and didn't have the correct ones in stock, I tend to stick to local motor factors, but occasionally get oil and bits when a good discount is on.
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 14:35   #6
matchless
Gets stuck in

Mazda cx7/1979 T140e

Default error

Checked the ECP site,
there are two fitment types now showing, even though my registration shows its a Diesel, it gives you the Petrol and Diesel fitments and sizes.. I may have selected the wrong one! although I am sure there was only one offered before.
My bad if thats the case.
No more rants or posts...clearly too old.
Old 13th January 2019, 15:21   #7
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

This ain’t a new thing I remember years ago repairing a friends golf and the factors offered him a choice of 4 types of brake pad even with Reg details they couldn’t tell him which ones it would be and as he didn’t have the old ones to match ended up buying all 4 and returning the 3 that didn’t fit.

I think all the reg does is pin point make model it’s then up to buyer to select which part is right.

For instance I’m looking at new tyres for my insignia vx-line which comes as standard with 19” or 20” alloys, yet on the websites with reg details or flags up tyres from 16” all the way up to 20” asking you to select which size you require it’s quicker just to search by size.
Old 13th January 2019, 15:26   #8
rusdee
Regular poster

Rover 75

I've never had any problems with them until I had to change the discs an pads on the daily focus, it wasn't until I'd stripped the old ones off that I found out the ones they'd sold where far bigger, luckily I had the 75 to drive 30 mins round trip to epc but the proper ones cost £5 more than wrong ones
rusdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 16:43   #9
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Far too common now. Ordered 2 air filters for my ZR and Rover 45. ZR was correct but the other was for a Honda Civic 2015!
Oil filter was for a Honda too.
Called the cutomer service number and got an apology for the "mis pick" and the promise of another one sent out. Never got it.
Old 13th January 2019, 16:44   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchless View Post

Not so sure the database explanation is valid, as it uses a registration number to call up the details of the car, with engine type etc, etc. So the online one should be correct, unless the database is different between online and in store (no alternatives given online, except makes of filter).

Databases are not that simple. There will be pre-processing and mapping of information prior to accessing the database, for which the index will not be the registration of the car but a mapped set of information.

Do feel free to rant as please you - at the end of the day it's all about what makes us feel good.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote