Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th November 2020, 14:00   #1
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Default Site security

Just a heads up.

Ever since the last problem with site security and supposedly sorted I am still getting warnings about the risk of site security when using my laptop.
Today from an apple device I use to come on here it said the the security to this site has been compromised and that I should change my password to which I have.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 16:09   #2
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Just a heads up.

Ever since the last problem with site security and supposedly sorted I am still getting warnings about the risk of site security when using my laptop.
Today from an apple device I use to come on here it said the the security to this site has been compromised and that I should change my password to which I have.
Sure it was a legit message/warning? I use nothing but Apple devices, typing this on my MacBook Air. No messages or warnings, never got any when everyone else was complaining, one of the joys of Mac ownership.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 16:17   #3
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Including a helpful little link??

I hope you didn't click on that!
Old 9th November 2020, 01:38   #4
Ched

I checked the warning again and it said I should change my password as there had been a data breach on the site, no links just a warning that came from apple when I logged in.
Old 9th November 2020, 12:11   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Dave. How are you? I only use my iPad Air to go surfing, and have never had any warnings about security. I have gone to go on some sites and I get a warning that it is a dodgy site, but not very often. I know there are a lot of scams going on at the moment because being neighbourhood coordinator for our road, I get a lot of warning from the police about what is going on at the moment. Hope you and Karen are ok.
Old 9th November 2020, 12:24   #6
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

The warnings and infected pages do not escape the attention of my browser and software. If it happened on a site that I was not familiar enough with to trust I would give it a miss as I suspect most people would do too. The problem has been well-flagged as it could be costing the site an untold amount of passing traffic and potential members. Action suggested to alleviate the problem has been taken by a few individual members that I'm aware of but it would seem that a very small number of members are hell bent on borking every page that they post on. I can only assume that the mods do not have the permissions to edit signatures and avvys otherwise they might have done so where the problem is currently most prolific.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2020, 13:15   #7
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

borking - have not heard/seen that word for years.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2020, 13:58   #8
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

What I've noticed with these 'security issues' is it isn't normally the site you're going to that has the issue. It's normally because you're using the same password across multiple sites, and one of those sites has been compromised - ie there's been a data leak or hack. Your browser will only say that there is an issue, not where the issue is. I get similar using Chrome on my work laptop for a couple of analytics sites I use regularly.

Information security experts would probably say that you should never use a password more than once. Being human and fallible means we tend to stick to one we can remember and only change it when we have to.
Old 10th November 2020, 16:32   #9
Ched

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Dave. How are you? I only use my iPad Air to go surfing, and have never had any warnings about security. I have gone to go on some sites and I get a warning that it is a dodgy site, but not very often. I know there are a lot of scams going on at the moment because being neighbourhood coordinator for our road, I get a lot of warning from the police about what is going on at the moment. Hope you and Karen are ok.
Hi Dave,

All good here thanks and hope you guys are too.

I use Mcafee and every time I come on here including this time its saying "whoa, are you sure you want to go there, the site is risky"

On my Iphone I've never had a warning till the other day when it informed me that there had been a data breach on the site and as a precaution I should change my password, no link to another site.
I use a different password for every account I have so hopefully no issues there.
Old 10th November 2020, 17:29   #10
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

I use an iPhone, an IPad and a PC running Chrome as my browser to access the site, and don’t get any security alerts or unsafe reports
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote