Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th October 2021, 20:23   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
I am with Adrian FLux with a remapped 200 BHP Turbo - but Admiral offered cover but slighly more expensive.
will try admerial again but a remapped CDT had to much % increase for them when I tried. The CDTI remapped was within the % increase allowence

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2021, 21:28   #12
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I think the biggest issue is the fact that you have modified the car from original manufacturer spec. This doesn't seem to go down well with insurance companies, they will even charge you more for changing the dash from light oak to walnut. Basically it's any mods.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2021, 07:19   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I think the biggest issue is the fact that you have modified the car from original manufacturer spec. This doesn't seem to go down well with insurance companies, they will even charge you more for changing the dash from light oak to walnut. Basically it's any mods.
Dont agree, a number of my mods have not had influence on the premium.
Things such as performance and making it pretty and more attractive will.

macafee2
Old 9th October 2021, 16:26   #14
elefsis
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Club SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
From my experience I could only find Adrian flux to insure my remapped car.

why do you think there should be no difference in insurance costs between a standard cdt/cdti and a remapped cdt/cdti? The CDT is a dog as standard.

macafee2
Indeed the CDTi was a dog as standard and a completely different car when remapped but a safer car than the old spec so should be cheaper insurance as the original was dangerous at any junction.
Old 9th October 2021, 17:27   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

Things such as performance and making it pretty and more attractive will.

macafee2
Ian - I am genuinely intrigued. If the mods did not give your car higher performance, make it more pretty or attractive, what exactly were the mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefsis View Post
Indeed the CDTi was a dog as standard and a completely different car when remapped but a safer car than the old spec so should be cheaper insurance as the original was dangerous at any junction.
Well, I don't think the CDT with 131 BHP is a dog. I can believe and would expect that a 160 remap would improve the car's driveability, but I don't see how it can be safer unless the driver is one who takes risks and needs the enhanced performance to recover from his/her mistakes.

The suspension, brakes, chasis of the car were designed to match the engine's performance. Unless an insurer tests every modified car as part of the quoting process, how can they possibly know whether the modified car is safer or less safe?

Most reputable insurers do not like modifications, which I think is perfectly understandable from a risk management perspective. Insurance is about nothing other than risk assessment and cover.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2021, 22:21   #16
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Ian - I am genuinely intrigued. If the mods did not give your car higher performance, make it more pretty or attractive, what exactly were the mods?

Well, I don't think the CDT with 131 BHP is a dog. I can believe and would expect that a 160 remap would improve the car's driveability, but I don't see how it can be safer unless the driver is one who takes risks and needs the enhanced performance to recover from his/her mistakes.

The suspension, brakes, chasis of the car were designed to match the engine's performance. Unless an insurer tests every modified car as part of the quoting process, how can they possibly know whether the modified car is safer or less safe?

Most reputable insurers do not like modifications, which I think is perfectly understandable from a risk management perspective. Insurance is about nothing other than risk assessment and cover.
Interesting points. I agree that we should all drive within the drivers and cars limits and to that end don't feel that the mods make a car safer. For instance, my 1st car was 0-60mph in 29 seconds and was fitted with cross ply tyres, drum brakes and no power steering. My next car was 0-60mph in 13.1 seconds, front discs and eventually radial tyres but was certainly no safer because I then drove up to those limits. When I had my S Type 2.7d I certainly didn't expect the same performance from the bendibuses I drove at work. As you can imagine, emerging from a junction with a slow 18m vehicle required a slightly different skill set to a sub 8.5 second 0-60mph Jag.

In other words, performance doesn't = safety, it's how that performance is used.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2021, 07:35   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post

A number of mods, full size spare wheel, self dimming mirror, FBH, puddle lights, change of dash clocks so I can access the digital stuff, change of indicator stalk, aux socket but wont be seen when the car is parked up.
Front foglights, reversing sensors,embossed headrests, electric sunblind, walnut dash, tow bar, electric memory seats can all be seen but externally make little difference. The reversing sensors may be the most noticeable thing even though they are colour coded and the seats the most desirable if one looks through the window.

Flash wheels make the car more attractive but I have standard wheels.
suspension and brakes will be performance mods.

I spoke to Admiral insurance about fitting 15 inch wheels with snow tyres, no problem was their reply.

I firm am of the opinion notify the insurance company of any mods and let them decide if it is premium a/effecting. Most of the mods they just make a note of.

macafee2
Old 10th October 2021, 08:41   #18
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
A number of mods, full size spare wheel, self dimming mirror, FBH, puddle lights, change of dash clocks so I can access the digital stuff, change of indicator stalk, aux socket but wont be seen when the car is parked up.
Front foglights, reversing sensors,embossed headrests, electric sunblind, walnut dash, tow bar, electric memory seats can all be seen but externally make little difference. The reversing sensors may be the most noticeable thing even though they are colour coded and the seats the most desirable if one looks through the window.

Flash wheels make the car more attractive but I have standard wheels.
suspension and brakes will be performance mods.

I spoke to Admiral insurance about fitting 15 inch wheels with snow tyres, no problem was their reply.

I firm am of the opinion notify the insurance company of any mods and let them decide if it is premium a/effecting. Most of the mods they just make a note of.

macafee2
Makes sense, better inform than have the insurance invalidated at a critical and expensive time.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2021, 09:37   #19
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Interesting that a full size spare wheel is a modification, I have a full size matching alloy spare.
How can if find out if the car was originally supplied with it, therefore its not a modification, or will the insurance company be able to give me that information?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2021, 15:01   #20
Ray L
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
A-plan insure my remapped ZT. My area is in the car stealers delight rating (F*) according to this https://www.theclayclothcompany.co.u...e-ratings.html. It's not that bad, touch wood. I'm sure the stats are the stats, but
Harrow postcode for you? Maybe an E rating?
I pay less than the cost of my kidney and much less than a non modified car with the usual suspects such as LV / direct line and the like. They want up to £600 and even £1200! More like a forget you price, we don't want the business!

I have insured my 160 remapped Connie with LV for several years, it seems to add about £100 to standard premium, mine is now just under £400 p.a. for fully comp.
Ray L is offline   Reply With Quote