Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th October 2021, 21:29   #1
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Default Passed MOT

Happy that MU53 ANG passed her MOT today after a service.
Less happy to discover quite a list of advisories.

Also, the garage was unable to change the rear diff oil, they just listed location and type of plug as a problem. This also suggests to me that it's never been changed
They also were unable to change the spark plugs and listed that most of the plastic inserts on the COPs were just turning and broken in some way.
Clearly I have work to do. Still, with a new Ford Transit Custom listed at over £50k, as Richi Sunak said, we shall do whatever it takes!!
All suggestions most welcome. She is worth some TLC at 17 yrs old

Last edited by edwardmk; 30th October 2021 at 21:30.. Reason: left out text and typo
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 07:29   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Congratulations on the pass. Everything is fixable.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 11:46   #3
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Congratulations on the pass. Everything is fixable.
With the crazy costs of new cars now, and my mileage being low, it's well worth fixing. Apart from needing to change the diff oil and the issue with the spark plugs, the list was as follows.
Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material offside front.
Same offside rear
Same nearside rear
Rear brake pads wearing thin
Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge Nearside Rear.
Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge Offside Rear.
Coil spring corroded Rear
Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened Front.
Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened Rear
Central Rear shock absorber corroded
Oil leak, but not excessive
Power steering ram has slight seepage from a joint
Rear suspension arms mounting brackets corroded.

I've now got all the rear shocks that Tim kindly organised, so they're ready when the process gets started. New heated front windscreen is ready to fit thanks to Rick. Just have to decide how to proceed in 2022.
Old 31st October 2021, 20:41   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Out of all that list, i would attack the subframes first, then the diff oil, then the rest.

The rear subframes gan go from 'advisory' to piles of rust in no time, ACF50 is your weapon of choice..
Old 31st October 2021, 22:12   #5
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Out of all that list, i would attack the subframes first, then the diff oil, then the rest.

The rear subframes gan go from 'advisory' to piles of rust in no time, ACF50 is your weapon of choice..
I'll definitely be following your advice.
Is there a link for changing the diff oil? Slightly concerned the main dealer passed on that job!
I'm assuming I clean the subframes carefully before applying the ACF50.
Hopefully I'm in time to avoid the need to replace them!
Old 1st November 2021, 11:07   #6
DeeJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I'll definitely be following your advice.
Is there a link for changing the diff oil? Slightly concerned the main dealer passed on that job!...
That together with the "COP plastic inserts" (they don't have plastic inserts, unless you have a non-Ford intake fitted), leads me to suggest you find a new garage pronto.

Changing the diff oil is a bit tricky, but well explained over on the 'Two-Sixties' Forum. You will need to follow the links in this thread, and will need to be a full member, therefore:
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...e-differential

Lots of info there on the all important correct oil to use, and other tips.
1.6 liters of ONLY Morris LODEXOL XFS 80W-140 (best), or Castrol Syntrax 75W-140, or Mobil SHC80W140 id, nothing else!
https://www.morrislubricantsonline.c...-gear-oil.html or Opie Oils may be able to supply.

What you can also do is to change the fill plug for a Citroën / Peugeot one for easier replacement and removal afterwards.
See: https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/corteco-2098777.html

Last edited by DeeJ; 1st November 2021 at 12:04..
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2021, 13:47   #7
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJ View Post
That together with the "COP plastic inserts" (they don't have plastic inserts, unless you have a non-Ford intake fitted), leads me to suggest you find a new garage pronto.

Changing the diff oil is a bit tricky, but well explained over on the 'Two-Sixties' Forum. You will need to follow the links in this thread, and will need to be a full member, therefore:
https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...e-differential

Lots of info there on the all important correct oil to use, and other tips.
1.6 liters of ONLY Morris LODEXOL XFS 80W-140 (best), or Castrol Syntrax 75W-140, or Mobil SHC80W140 id, nothing else!
https://www.morrislubricantsonline.c...-gear-oil.html or Opie Oils may be able to supply.

What you can also do is to change the fill plug for a Citroën / Peugeot one for easier replacement and removal afterwards.
See: https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/corteco-2098777.html
I'm a member of two-sixties. Many thanks for the links. Morris Lodexol already ordered direct form the company.
Going to pursue everything else later this week and will check all my receipts going back to when I bought the car new to see if the diff oil was ever changed. Also I'll take a look myself at the Cops to see what the so called 'plastic turning' issue was and report back later. I'm struggling to understand how they were unable to change the plugs. They're a huge main dealer. I think they're really struggling with staff turnover.
Old 1st November 2021, 15:38   #8
DeeJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
... I'm struggling to understand how they were unable to change the plugs. They're a huge main dealer. I think they're really struggling with staff turnover.
Size isn't everything! If they couldn't get the COP's off, they couldn't get the plugs out, I imagine. Scheduled change on diff oil is 10 years/150,000 miles, incidentally. When changed, mine was the original full, I believe at 220k miles and 11 years.
Diff was, and still is, quiet and "non-clunky", but automatic Rovers tend to be like that anyway.

COP's if on an original intake are M7 bolts into brass ferules in the intake . If they are self-tappers, you have a Dorman type intake, not original.
Best post/PM on the Two-sixties if you want more help please, since I am there daily as "David", here much less frequently.

David

Last edited by DeeJ; 1st November 2021 at 15:46..
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:06   #9
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post

4 litres of ACF50 on it's way via Amazon with a hopefully handy spray bottle. I'll do the 190 as well and if there's any left over, two old Astras and a Transit might also get some TLC.