Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th January 2022, 09:59   #11
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Thanks for all your replies.

My Dad had essentially the previous version, the 418TD on an M plate which I drove now and again so I've a rough idea of what to expect. Prior to that we shared a Maestro Clubman D (no T) so in terms of refinement I'm sure I'll cope!

My wife also had a 1996 214si it doesn't look much different inside to that.

Manufacturers economy figures give the Diesel at about 35% more economical than the petrols.

Regarding cambelt I'm not sure of the history but at 70k it should hopefully have been done once....

Yes Sonic the Silver one in Excetera.

I'm hoping to look today or tomorrowk, I'll try to have a look at the points you listed. I'll hopefully get an opportunity to start it cold and see how it sounds.
Corrosion excepting, most of the other things you list are mainly minor.
Fan resistors are common, I've done two on Vauxhalls, trim and fixings aren't to much to worry for the price.

As long as the clutch appears not to slip, I'm assuming it's still original.

The last MOT gave up these advisories:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
- Offside Front Nail in tyre outer edge ()
- corrosion forming both front front floor areas
- Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))

I'll try to have a look at the corrosion as best as possible if looking serious maybe give it a miss. Oil leak may be just a sump plug weeping?
Did they have undertrays on these?
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 10:17   #12
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Yes, they had a full undertray when new, but whether that'll still be there now....

If it passed the MOT then I can't see the corrosion being too advanced. You're unlikely to find a £500 car without some mention of rust on something nowadays, knowing how thin the paint finish is on suspension and the like. The floor 'bluge' is not a complicated repair if the rest of the car is good. It's certainly the lowest mileage diesel I've seen in a while
Old 13th January 2022, 10:49   #13
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams View Post
I have owned three 75s including my current Contemporary SE Tourer CDTi which I have had for 16 years. In between I owned an early (V-regn) 45 turbo diesel. I found it particularly comfortable (suspension-wise) and faster than any of my 75s. However, I think that was because it was light and it certainly didn't feel as solidly built as the 75. Remember the 75 has a very high crash test rating. However, I have never been in a Zafira!
The Zafira B 2006 that I had was/is a reasonably good vehicle, I've had it since 2011 (48k) bought from a friend who bought it new. Got a good deal as he only wanted trade in value of £6000. It was the rarer Design version with full a panoramic roof. Load of seats and space. It is a nice drive, took it down to Monaco back in 2013, sat at 85-90 no worries, with sports mode it handles well for a large vehicle. My friend regretted selling it and changing to the 7 seat Qashqai with an 1800 petrol lump. I went to Bournemouth in it and I didn't travel that well in the back, wallows around and nowhere near the Zafira economy, I'd never get one.

It's practical, good view, comfortable seats, not quite 75 standard though!, a nice height to get in and out loads were sold to Motability drivers.
If you want a Zafira (or any Vauxhall) get something after 2012, because Vauxhall improved the 6 speed gearboxes then to get better oil flow to the top bearings. Get the 1.7 CDTi, it is far superior as it is the Isuzu 16v engine, rather than the SAAB/Fiat/GM block. My 2005 combo is approaching 160k with that engine.

Now at 116k 150 bhp engine was good in performance no DPF , and even better when EGR removed & remap was done .
However the usual swirl flap disintegration, I replaced and blanked the manifold myself instead of about £800 in the garage. Wiring looms break at door hinges, early version M32 Gearbox is falling to bits I think 3rd & 4th are the only decent ones left, costs a small fortune to get it reconditioned quoted circa £1800. There's the bloke in Halifax who does bearing recons for about 350, but i never quite got there.
Now the thing seems to catch fire as soon as it is started, something between bulkhead and engine, I thought it was oil leaking on the exhaust but it happens from cold.
It started on Christmas eve at the supermarket and my wife phoned me to come and get her in the 75. She took that home and i tried the zafira, traffic was horrendous so I had to keep switching the engine off to stop it burning. Battery went flat, then I pushed it back into LIDLs car park and we came back in the evening with jump leads and drove it home on a clear road. at least the smoke blew out the back!!! I dumped it in font of the house and left it there while i had a Christmas holiday Weather was miserable until this week.
I'm going to ramp it up and take a look later, steering is noisy so perhaps it could be the electric power steering pump? With the other issues I just don't have enthusiasm for trying to mend it.

My local Vauxhall breakers said they can't get any 1900 diesel gearboxes like hens teeth. Although all M32 boxes are similar nothing else fits that engine so can't put a petrol or 1.7 diesel box in. Pity because I kept it tidy bodywork pretty good hardly an corrosion. In last couple years have replaced front suspension components, worn bushes on heavy cars, brakes reconditioned. Still original exhaust.
Ideally if someone had a good engine and box from something that had been rear ended, someone could make a good family car out of the two. I just don't have the facilities, the time, or to be honest the enthusiasm....
Old 13th January 2022, 11:23   #14
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I've had a few MGR cars with the L series engine. Can't really fault it except its a bit crude now by modern diesels.
Does it have to be a diesel?
There is a stunning 45 for sale at only £950 but is a 1.4 petrol 102bhp.
Ulez compliant too!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 13th January 2022, 13:38   #15
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
I've had a few MGR cars with the L series engine. Can't really fault it except its a bit crude now by modern diesels.
Does it have to be a diesel?
There is a stunning 45 for sale at only £950 but is a 1.4 petrol 102bhp.
Ulez compliant too!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Not particularly important to be a diesel just a bit cheaper to run, and this one is local.

Anyway, I've just contacted seller about going to look and she sold it this morning.

The search continues...

As a note I've just been offered £310 from EMR as scrap value for the Zafira.
Vauxhall breakers yard offered me 'a couple hundred' not to interested because of gearbox, he had 2 requests this morning for one.
We buyany car = £635 (minus; this, that, the other & something else)
Old 13th January 2022, 15:06   #16
petelondon

rover 75 tourer

Have a look at project Nigel on YouTube, lots of stuff about the 45 diesel
petelondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 15:26   #17
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Hopefully something else turns up, would the better half consider a ZS the slightly sportier sibling to the 45? Basically the same issues to look for, that corrosion advisory is the main rust points on these along with the sills.
Also watch for leaks in the boot area, saloon may be slightly worse in this respect but basically those are easily solved but again with age there more chance that if they haven't been attended to that corrosion may have set in here too as the seam in the arch is often not sealed correctly so all the muck of the day is flung up and makes its way into the boot with the seam corroding (pull back the side carpets and you will soon see when you look along the seam near the top mounts for the shocks
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 15:32   #18
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Never had anything with the L series engine, but owned a 416SLi Saloon and a ZS hatch. Both very practical cars. Comfy and relatively easy to work on from memory - not that I did much of the mechanical stuff.
Rear arches are worth looking at, as my 400 went crusty there.