Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th February 2022, 17:58   #201
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
And whatever fuel prices are being quoted now, we must consider what they might/will rise to as a result of the Russian Ukraine events and Arab oil increases that will happen. If I was PM I would see this the opportune time to ditch a lot of the Green agenda. Chris S.
Already happening. I've just paid 1.65 a litre for super unleaded; diesel here now at 1:52. and thge garage said they expect to increase before the weeks out The impact on transport costs and therefore food etc is going to be painful to say the least

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Last edited by Nobby; 24th February 2022 at 18:02..
Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 19:03   #202
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Some scary quotes out there & the prices are going up again in April. This is OVO's one & two year fixed quote.

Two year fixed plan

oneyear fixed plan

I don't see why the standing charge should rise, that's not related to the energy supply, it's just a basic rental charge for the meter, fuel costs do not alter what it does and it costs nothing more to own from any energy supplier. To be blunt, that really is a scam costing.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 19:16   #203
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I don't see why the standing charge should rise, that's not related to the energy supply, it's just a basic rental charge for the meter, fuel costs do not alter what it does and it costs nothing more to own from any energy supplier. To be blunt, that really is a scam costing.

From what I can gather it's to pay for all the failed energy companies over the last 12 months.

"£68 a year is to be added to electricity standing charge to cover the SoLR process for the failed companies. That’s about 18p per day that everyone has to pay regardless of whether you’ve been with a failed company or not" https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...ost-doubled/p2

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 19:16   #204
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
Yes indeed. I’d love to hear the company explain why that is necessary.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 22:30   #205
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Yes indeed. I’d love to hear the company explain why that is necessary.

The standing charge covers the costs of the cables and pipes of the distribution system.

Plus my pension.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 06:25   #206
mbev51
Banned

Removed

This crisis in Ukraine will push energy prices even higher. We need to support our poorest.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 08:43   #207
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
The standing charge covers the costs of the cables and pipes of the distribution system.

Plus my pension.

Actually, to be precise, the standing charge contributes to the fixed costs. But at the end of the day each company makes a marketing decision in terms of how much is charged as a daily standing charge and how much of it is added to the unit price.

In the past, daily standing charge has been anything from zero to 50p/day in my area depending on the chosen tariff.
Old 25th February 2022, 09:57   #208
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But.

No matter what the excuse used, it's the cost of the product that's risen, not the equipment already in place to bring that product to homes. It's a charge that needs to be questioned.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2022, 11:22   #209
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Don't forget member Borg Warner's pension. He'll be hoping for a healthy increase!

The simple fact is that our system of regulation and governance allows companies to run without accumulating reserves. When they make good profits, those who control the companies take the money out. When the profits go down due to external forces the whole system starts to go pop as it has done with energy suppliers (sellers). It's a systemic problem with our financial and regulatory practices.

We've basically had everything too cheap for too long and are now paying the price for that modus operandi.

But, don't let me stop you from seeking the answer from your supplier!
Old 25th February 2022, 20:47   #210
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Don't forget member Borg Warner's pension. He'll be hoping for a healthy increase!

The simple fact is that our system of regulation and governance allows companies to run without accumulating reserves. When they make good profits, those who control the companies take the money out. When the profits go down due to external forces the whole system starts to go pop as it has done with energy suppliers (sellers). It's a systemic problem with our financial and regulatory practices.

We've basically had everything too cheap for too long and are now paying the price for that modus operandi.

But, don't let me stop you from seeking the answer from your supplier!

Lockdown also showed an awful lot of people live without accumulating reserves.
Years ago a lady I worked with told me she did not have enough money to buy a new washing machine if hers went wrong. Her husband was a Hovercraft pilot and she was on 30-30k+.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote