Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th May 2016, 15:03   #1
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Default Handbrake cable to backplate fixing ?

During the replacement of my rear hub I noticed the backplate is corroding so decided to take it off to examine it better . But I can't detach the handbrake cable as it seems seized onto something ! Is it detachable immediately at the backplate or is there a tube running through the trailing arm with the cable detaching from the far end of that ? It appears to pass through a collar in the backplate ?
I just cant make out where to apply brute force
Left it soaking in plus-gas for now

Last edited by chris75; 6th May 2016 at 15:54..
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 18:26   #2
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
During the replacement of my rear hub I noticed the backplate is corroding so decided to take it off to examine it better . But I can't detach the handbrake cable as it seems seized onto something ! Is it detachable immediately at the backplate or is there a tube running through the trailing arm with the cable detaching from the far end of that ? It appears to pass through a collar in the backplate ?
I just cant make out where to apply brute force
Left it soaking in plus-gas for now
It is detatchable if you plan to replace the plate, but if you are hoping to just remove, repaint then replace then i cant help. I had to hacksaw a spiral around the sleeve in tye backplate then peel it off from the cable ferrule. Quite easy if careful not to saw too far, but you do have to replace the plate after that.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 18:38   #3
chris75
same car since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
It is detatchable if you plan to replace the plate, but if you are hoping to just remove, repaint then replace then i cant help. I had to hacksaw a spiral around the sleeve in tye backplate then peel it off from the cable ferrule. Quite easy if careful not to saw too far, but you do have to replace the plate after that.
Thanks for that , although not really what I wanted to hear ! Did you do this with everything still on the car , and how long is this sleeve in the backplate ?
Access looks like a real pig
Old 6th May 2016, 19:04   #4
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Just done this on mine, although I did a complete refurb with new back plates, shoes, fitting kit, hubs/bearings.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=242974
Mine too were seized in the back plate and like Dave said, I had to hacksaw the sleeve to release the cable. You can get enough access once the back plate has been unbolted.
There's a 'how to' here http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4&d=1398099788

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 03:39   #5
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Thanks for that , although not really what I wanted to hear ! Did you do this with everything still on the car , and how long is this sleeve in the backplate ?
Access looks like a real pig
That how-to was mine and describes the process in my case. You can see how corroded it was. The problem is that until you cut that bit out to allow you to separate the plate from the hub there is simply no access to the sleeve to get a hold on it with anything. You cant use heat either because of risk of damage to the innerpart of the cable.

Annoying since otherwise you could quite likely effect a decent repair to the rusty parts of the plate if handy with a welder.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 15:33   #6
chris75
same car since 2005

Thanks , both That was helpful .
In the event I decided to leave the backplate "attached" to the cable , to be sorted another day . I cut back and cleaned up the corrosion , around the centre hole, with a dremel and coated everything liberally in waxoyl before reassembling . This corrosion may have been involved in the ABS problem which was my original reason for dismantling . I am now awaiting delivery of hubs , sensors and discs to complete the work.

Last edited by chris75; 7th May 2016 at 16:16.. Reason: deletions
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 11:50   #7
MikeC

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Simple way to detach handbrake cable from backplate

Quote:
Thanks , both That was helpful .
In the event I decided to leave the backplate "attached" to the cable , to be sorted another day . I cut back and cleaned up the corrosion , around the centre hole, with a dremel and coated everything liberally in waxoyl before reassembling . This corrosion may have been involved in the ABS problem which was my original reason for dismantling . I am now awaiting delivery of hubs , sensors and discs to complete the work.
Gents, I have just managed to drift the cable ferrule from the backplate using a suitably dimensioned (11mm od / 9mm ID) tube spanner. Lot less hassle than a hacksaw!
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 16:27   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

next time try plus gas or similar and heat the tube the outer cable slides into. It should come out quite easily

you can if you use too much force, force the tube out of the back plate... trust me I know

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2021, 12:39   #9
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

This may already be a solution, but I bought 12mmx 1.0mm steel tube from Wickes https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-12mm...el-1m/p/188287 and used it to punch out the handbrake cable from the backplate. I guess levels of success will depend very much on the extend of corrosion, but it worked for me on a 2002 75 with quite a rusty backside! No major damage to either backplate or handbrake cable. Make sure the ends of the tube have had the sharp edges removed.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2021, 13:28   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
This may already be a solution, but I bought 12mmx 1.0mm steel tube from Wickes https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-12mm...el-1m/p/188287 and used it to punch out the handbrake cable from the backplate. I guess levels of success will depend very much on the extend of corrosion, but it worked for me on a 2002 75 with quite a rusty backside! No major damage to either backplate or handbrake cable. Make sure the ends of the tube have had the sharp edges removed.
see my post above.
If the back plate is not supported closely around the tube, I can imagine you can knock the tube out of the back plate.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote