Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th January 2017, 04:53   #1
scottish_don
Loves to post

None

Default Rover Archives

I read in a classic car mag a couple of months ago how the Rootes Group archives were being mode to a new location. Does any such archive exist for Rover under any club or association? Or have the Chinese binned everything?
Old 26th January 2017, 09:00   #2
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

You would have thought by now that all former British car makers records would have been snapped up by museums or car clubs.
It's a piece of economic and social history never to be repeated.
Old 26th January 2017, 09:15   #3
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

I read recently that when assembly of the MG6 ended at Longbridge the chinese quietly binned what was left of the MGR heritage.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 10:14   #4
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

I don't think it's all been binned.

Didn't most MG Rover heritage stuff go to Gaydon?

Looks like the British Motor Museum has a fair chunk of it to 1986 and MG to mid 90's.

https://britishmotormuseum.co.uk/home/

Might be worth asking them where the rest is?

The Chinese owners play on the MG heritage, can't see them being as crass as to bin the archives.

Rights in the Rover name were with Ford (now Tata). Maybe they have some later bits?

Edit : Search on the National Archives website seems to indicate that some records (to mid 60's) are held by Warwickshire University.

Last edited by first-things-first; 26th January 2017 at 10:18..
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 11:41   #5
scottish_don
Loves to post

None

It's just a shame that it's not all in one place, catalogued, on line and accessible.
It would be nice to know that everything from sales brochures through to technical manuals was being preserved for the future.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:20   #6
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
I don't think it's all been binned.

Didn't most MG Rover heritage stuff go to Gaydon?

Looks like the British Motor Museum has a fair chunk of it to 1986 and MG to mid 90's.

https://britishmotormuseum.co.uk/home/

Might be worth asking them where the rest is?

The Chinese owners play on the MG heritage, can't see them being as crass as to bin the archives.

Rights in the Rover name were with Ford (now Tata). Maybe they have some later bits?

Edit : Search on the National Archives website seems to indicate that some records (to mid 60's) are held by Warwickshire University.
I'm not so sure about the Chinese, they have little regard for other consumer goods and their parts and technical help is abysmal. I wonder if the MG7 will be furnished with good parts backup? I doubt it even Mat finds sourcing parts from China harder and harder. I'd also think the Chinese would be unlikely to keep records from a defunct company.
Old 26th January 2017, 13:09   #7
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

A lot of MG Rover data used to be found in this website, but its long gone unfortunately. Technical service bulletins, EKA. radio codes etc were held here. However no engineering details/drawing etc. Must have been for the dealers.

http://www.mgrconnections.com
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 18:19   #8
Davpil
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon, MGZT

i think you'll find that Gaydon hold Rover records from 1945 to 1986. I doubt that the post 1986 records have completely vanished but take the point that the Chinese may not have regarded them highly. This is an interesting issue and worthy of some research, because if they can be found how fascinating they might be in relation to our cars. First place to start is the various modern Rover published histories - from where did they source it all ?

Well, James Taylor in ' Rover 75 and MG ZT' first published in 2014 says ' MG Motor UK Ltd handed the full records for Rover 75 manufacture over to the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust in September 2012' . So, they should be safe, but in 2014 they were not then available for James for consultation ie they probably hadn't got them sorted out by then !

I'll contact Gaydon and see what they say now. Anyone want to write a book ?

Last edited by Dragrad; 26th January 2017 at 23:24.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
Davpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 19:41   #9
X10Rich
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
A lot of MG Rover data used to be found in this website, but its long gone unfortunately. Technical service bulletins, EKA. radio codes etc were held here. However no engineering details/drawing etc. Must have been for the dealers.

http://www.mgrconnections.com
I thought it was www.mgroverconnections.com, the new owner of the domain was going to rebuild the site, but never got round to it afaik......
X10Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 20:07   #10
scottish_don
Loves to post

None

I look at what the Rootes Archive managed to do, it's sad that another manufacturer with a long history hasn't managed something similar. I'm sure there would be volunteers to help preserve ( i include myself in this)