Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd September 2017, 17:38   #1
John3:16
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Default Rover 75 - Sunroof Problems

My friends have messaged me to say

" our car nearly set on fire yesterday had smoke coming out as our sunroof glass section jammed mid way open with the cover so now we have half a window open we looked into the book with the car but it said it might rewind by hand using a Alan key but it's stuck too apparently it's a motor and roller issue but we have tried everything it says on eBay you can buy a kit to replace the roller pins that work it but we are not sure if the motor went to as it was burning in the light section on the top of the dashboard ... "

I've looked on the How To page and can't find any guide on how to start looking at the motor ... obviously I'm going to check the switch and fuse 23 ( 20amp) first to see if they are burnt out and then work to see if it's the motor which I know will need the roof interior to be removed etc.

Any tips anyone?

Neill

2.0 Petrol V6 75 Connoisseur Auto "Ginnie" ...finally stopped that darn thermostat from leaking !!
John3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 18:57   #2
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Hi Neill,
It sounds as though the sunshade panel clips have collapsed and this has lead to the glazed portion of the sunroof jamming, the broken clips on the sunshade are a known problem and an easy fix, there is a video on youtube, which shows exactly how to repair the broken clips and how to manually operate the sunroof drive motor - the instructions are for a BMW E46 unit, which is basically what is fitted to the Rover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XlTqpxUJgs

The clips are available from ebay, but be aware that two types were fitted, one lot had the mounting holes at 17mm cross centres and the other at 21mm cross centres, you need to check the actual sunshade for the cross centres of the mounting clip screws and order the appropriate clips - this is one of the many repair kits available for the sunshade -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-su...kAAOSwssRZX5om
I believe the motor can be removed through the interior light aperture, once the light unit has been removed,

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built

Last edited by stevenkeyte; 3rd September 2017 at 18:59.. Reason: link to ebay repair kit added
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 19:30   #3
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Many thanks for that link, it's come just at the right time as tommorow weather permitting I'm going to be looking at the sunroof on my latest project car.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 19:38   #4
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Many thanks for that link, it's come just at the right time as tommorow weather permitting I'm going to be looking at the sunroof on my latest project car.
Glad it was useful Jim. I used it when repairing the sunshade on mine and found it a really easy job

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 19:51   #5
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkeyte View Post
Hi Neill,
It sounds as though the sunshade panel clips have collapsed and this has lead to the glazed portion of the sunroof jamming, the broken clips on the sunshade are a known problem and an easy fix, there is a video on youtube, which shows exactly how to repair the broken clips and how to manually operate the sunroof drive motor - the instructions are for a BMW E46 unit, which is basically what is fitted to the Rover:

The clips are available from ebay, but be aware that two types were fitted, one lot had the mounting holes at 17mm cross centres and the other at 21mm cross centres, you need to check the actual sunshade for the cross centres of the mounting clip screws and order the appropriate clips - this is one of the many repair kits available for the sunshade -
I believe the motor can be removed through the interior light aperture, once the light unit has been removed,

Steve
Many thanks for the links Steve ... wish the fuse box was as easy to get to in the 75 !!!

Neill

2.0 Petrol V6 75 Connoisseur Auto "Ginnie" ...finally stopped that darn thermostat from leaking !!
Old 3rd September 2017, 19:53   #6
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3:16 View Post
Many thanks for the links Steve ... wish the fuse box was as easy to get to in the 75 !!!

Neill
These things are sent to try us
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 08:22   #7
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
These things are sent to try us
Last time I needed to be in the fuse box I managed to pull a muscle when I tried to get up after hunting for the troublesome fuse. Grrr !!!

Old 4th September 2017, 11:28   #8
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkeyte View Post
Hi Neill,

Steve
Many thanks again for the links ... I watched the YouTube clip again this morning and then set off to my friends house in the pouring rain ... is it autumn already ??? ... after trying to wind the sunroof backwards and forwards a few times with an allen key it became free and I managed to close the sunroof. The inner cloth backed part of the sunroof was to blame ... yes the clips had snapped off and were chewed up in the mechanism of the sunroof.

I've checked fuse 23 and the 20 amp fuse is fine so there's nothing wrong there but there's no response from the switch. No clicking or attempting to move the sunroof so the fault is either going to be the switch or motor. I'm waiting on the local breaker to come back to say if they have a switch and motor. They usually let me drive down and then fit the switch and see if it works and if not then the motor is more than likely the cause of the problem and as my friend said smoke was pouring out of the inner light which tends to suggest a burnt out motor. (Strange I would haver thought that there would have been a pressure switch to ensure that hands, heads, whatever aren't trapped by a closing sunroof so how a few bits of stray runners have clogged the works beats me).

I'm fine with fitting new clips for this cloth part but the question now is ... does anyone know if you can just replace the motor or is the motor and mechanism all one piece. The YouTube clip seems to suggest that the full headliner of the car needs to come down to access the complete motor and mechanism.

Neill

Old 4th September 2017, 12:01   #9
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I've just been working on my sunroof this morning. 30 seconds later I'm not kidding it started to rain.
Well ok I've got the entire trim removed so plodded on, removed the glass and boy was it dirty so I gave it a good clean up before placing it back into the frame to keep the rain off.
Before that I removed the blind and one of the clips is broken but I've got all the broken bits.
Strange thing was the motor didn't seem to want to work then suddenly it motored all the way back bearing in mind the 6 screws were not in place.
I was a bit shocked but it did motor all the way back so at least it's closed.
I tried to manually operate the motor but I was afraid of breaking something as the torx screw wouldn't budge.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 14:07   #10
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
I've just been working on my sunroof this morning. 30 seconds later I'm not kidding it started to rain.
Well ok I've got the entire trim removed so plodded on, removed the glass and boy was it dirty so I gave it a good clean up before placing it back into the frame to keep the rain off.
Before that I removed the blind and one of the clips is broken but I've got all the broken bits.
Strange thing was the motor didn't seem to want to work then suddenly it motored all the way back bearing in mind the 6 screws were not in place.
I was a bit shocked but it did motor all the way back so at least it's closed.
I tried to manually operate the motor but I was afraid of breaking something as the torx screw wouldn't budge.

When I got to my friends house this morning he had a huge blue ground sheet tied to the 4 wheels and covering the roof as it was half open/closed ... I suppose if I was a real friend I should have gone around last night to help close it but I didn't want to get wet