Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th October 2020, 11:59   #1
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Default Saloon boot seal to body flange

Over a period of time I've eliminated water ingress into the boot, the one remaining area is the boot opening seal to body flange, water is tracking up under the seal were it runs horizontal across the lower edge of the opening (above the bumper) and running into the spare wheel well.
I've removed the seal and cleaned the flange mating surface on the seal and the body flange, reseating the seal on the body flange by gently tapping in into place so it is fully home on the flange, but just having done an inspection in the rain, water is still tracking under the seal and dripping into the spare wheel well.
Does anyone have tips on how to seal the rubber seal to the body flange to stop this capillary action?

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2020, 14:47   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkeyte View Post
Over a period of time I've eliminated water ingress into the boot, the one remaining area is the boot opening seal to body flange, water is tracking up under the seal were it runs horizontal across the lower edge of the opening (above the bumper) and running into the spare wheel well.
I've removed the seal and cleaned the flange mating surface on the seal and the body flange, reseating the seal on the body flange by gently tapping in into place so it is fully home on the flange, but just having done an inspection in the rain, water is still tracking under the seal and dripping into the spare wheel well.
Does anyone have tips on how to seal the rubber seal to the body flange to stop this capillary action?

Steve

I have never seen this happen? I do however know that the seams where the two rear quarter panels join the boot area can leak water in (took me over a year to find this out!) try captain Tolleys along theses and see if that helps.
Old 12th October 2020, 18:57   #3
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have never seen this happen? I do however know that the seams where the two rear quarter panels join the boot area can leak water in (took me over a year to find this out!) try captain Tolleys along theses and see if that helps.
Hi Trikey, thanks for the reply.

I'm 99% certain the water is being drawn up and over the body flange, specifically close to where the lock latch assembly is fitted into the body. The rest of the boot is dry, the rear window screen clips are sealed, as are the waist rail securing fastenings, boot hinge mounting bolts, both low level side vents, the body seams above the rear light units and Capt. Tolleys applied to the seams at either side of the boot aperture, below the bottom corners of the rear screen, the area which has a reputation of being poorly sealed in the Mk II cars and new rear light gaskets fitted to both rear light units.

During heavy rain this afternoon close inspection of all the usual leak points show them to be dry (I should explain that all the liners etc. have been removed so that all areas of the boot can be inspected) the only area showing signs of leakage is the area where the lock latch is fitted into the body.
Yesterday when it was dry I poured water, with the boot open, onto the rear screen and the only place it entered the boot was from under the seal where it runs along the lower edge of the boot aperture.

My next action will be to remove the seal completely, open the boot and pour water over the rear screen to see if any of it enters the interior from the area previously identified, if it does not, then, to quote Sherlock Holmes, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." and the water must be entering via capillary action through the seal.

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
Old 14th October 2020, 09:02   #4
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Have you tried cleaning out the gap between the bodywork and the bumper where the two meet at the bottom lip of the boot aperture? I've had a similar issue with mine - ended up being the seal fitted the wrong way round. Water should run down the aperture surround and then down the gap between the bumper and bodywork. If that's got gummed up with leaf and road debris, then the water's going to pool there and then capillary action will get to work. Also, if the bumper's been nudged in slightly, then the gap could be a bit tight. It's worth a look.

Alternatively, you could pipe in a bead of silicone sealant along the aperture lip prior to refitting the seal.
FrattonEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 09:29   #5
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Try this.

Quote:
Hi Trikey, thanks for the reply.

I'm 99% certain the water is being drawn up and over the body flange, specifically close to where the lock latch assembly is fitted into the body. The rest of the boot is dry, the rear window screen clips are sealed, as are the waist rail securing fastenings, boot hinge mounting bolts, both low level side vents, the body seams above the rear light units and Capt. Tolleys applied to the seams at either side of the boot aperture, below the bottom corners of the rear screen, the area which has a reputation of being poorly sealed in the Mk II cars and new rear light gaskets fitted to both rear light units.

During heavy rain this afternoon close inspection of all the usual leak points show them to be dry (I should explain that all the liners etc. have been removed so that all areas of the boot can be inspected) the only area showing signs of leakage is the area where the lock latch is fitted into the body.
Yesterday when it was dry I poured water, with the boot open, onto the rear screen and the only place it entered the boot was from under the seal where it runs along the lower edge of the boot aperture.

My next action will be to remove the seal completely, open the boot and pour water over the rear screen to see if any of it enters the interior from the area previously identified, if it does not, then, to quote Sherlock Holmes, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." and the water must be entering via capillary action through the seal.

Steve
Go to a motor factor and get some tiger seal or such like, it's what they use to fit windscreens and a bead of that will stop any water ingress.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 17:14   #6
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrattonEnder View Post
Have you tried cleaning out the gap between the bodywork and the bumper where the two meet at the bottom lip of the boot aperture? I've had a similar issue with mine - ended up being the seal fitted the wrong way round. Water should run down the aperture surround and then down the gap between the bumper and bodywork. If that's got gummed up with leaf and road debris, then the water's going to pool there and then capillary action will get to work. Also, if the bumper's been nudged in slightly, then the gap could be a bit tight. It's worth a look.

Alternatively, you could pipe in a bead of silicone sealant along the aperture lip prior to refitting the seal.
The gap between the body and the bumper seems OK, pouring water so it flows along the gully on top of the wing, then runs down the vertical surface adjacent to the rear light clusters and from there through the gap and eventually runs out from underneath, so it drains OK, except water 'wicks' along the seal / body flange joint and eventually enters the boot interior close to where the lock latch is fitted into the body.
I think the long term solution may be, as you suggest, to seal the flange / seal joint face,

Steve

Old 14th October 2020, 18:41   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I doubt it is capillary action that is taking place. What I suggest is take the seal off and have a look at the way it fits on the lip round the boot. There are a couple of ways of trying to fit this seal and one is correct and the other isn’t.When I got my KV6 I noted that the boot seal was not fitted properly down the right hand side of the lower boot. When I took it off, I noted that there are two channels in the seal. The rubber that separated them had broken open and there was a metal spine that had come through the rubber and had been bent by trying to force it onto the lip of the side boot. I got a pair of pliers and straightened it out and refitted it in the correct channel on the boot lid. No more leaks.
Old 16th October 2020, 11:38   #8
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I doubt it is capillary action that is taking place. What I suggest is take the seal off and have a look at the way it fits on the lip round the boot. There are a couple of ways of trying to fit this seal and one is correct and the other isn’t.When I got my KV6 I noted that the boot seal was not fitted properly down the right hand side of the lower boot. When I took it off, I noted that there are two channels in the seal. The rubber that separated them had broken open and there was a metal spine that had come through the rubber and had been bent by trying to force it onto the lip of the side boot. I got a pair of pliers and straightened it out and refitted it in the correct channel on the boot lid. No more leaks.
Similar to the issue I had. My seal was actually reversed, with the inner lip on the outside. Now I've reversed it, it's been dry so far but then we've not had much rain in the past 10 days! Did have a leaky side trim fixing, but that's been hidden with a tonne of silicone sealant now!
FrattonEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2020, 13:05   #9
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

I removed the seal and cleaned the flange, there appeared to be traces of some type of sealant on the flange which I cleaned off, it seemed to be more of a non-setting type mastic rather than a silicon type sealant, I cleaned the flange but prior to refitting poured water onto the rear screen, no water in the boot, I refitted the seal, making sure it was fully seated on the flange and poured water on it, this time there wasn't any evidence of water tracking up inside the seal, so I I'll just have to wait until the next period of rain to see if there is any water penetration,
Steve

Old 16th October 2020, 17:12   #10
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
I removed the seal and cleaned the flange, there appeared to be traces of some type of sealant on the flange which I cleaned off, it seemed to be more of a non-setting type mastic rather than a silicon type sealant, I cleaned the flange but prior to refitting poured water onto the rear screen, no water in the boot, I refitted the seal, making sure it was fully seated on the flange and poured water on it, this time there wasn't any evidence of water tracking up inside the seal, so I I'll just have to wait until the next period of rain to see if there is any water penetration,
Steve
My own experience was that after fixing literally everything else, I still had water coming into the boot, and finally worked out it had to be somehow getting under the seal. Heavy rain definitely overwhelmed the design. A brand new seal from Rimmers didn't fix my problem until I silicone sealed the entire fitting surface. With hindsight, if I had just silicone sealed the old seal it would have been fine. My new seal ended up being fitted with the ventilation holes on the outside, so that might be technically the wrong way round, but it stopped leaking when it was silicone sealed and my boot has been dry in all weather now for over a year .
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote