Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th November 2021, 15:30   #1
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Pancake O rings and resurrected ones

With absolutely no wish to start WW3 - my recent observations on a coolant leak.

Lots of coolant in the V of the engine, but having worked my way down there I no longer believe the thermostat housing to be at fault but rather compressed O rings. I’ll pressure test the housing later but there’s no sign of leaks, but some of the O rings are really flat. (Age unknown).

As there are no OEM 88 deg thermostats and I don’t want to buy a summer thermostat (82 degs) I decided to remove the old one from my donor but had ordered new O rings from DMGRS. But actually the donor O rings look perfect after being in the car for some 6 - 8 years, and I could possibly have reused them (the loose ones in the pic).

Not sure why one set are flattened, yet the other set are as new - perhaps some O rings are more equal than others?

vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 17:00   #2
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

I replaced the stat in my 190 a couple of weeks ago and had exactly the same problem, the 'O' rings had compressed to having flats on the outside allowing a coolant leak, I bought a set of stat replacement parts and also a set of 'O' rings, as it was apart I put the new parts in but I think fitting the new 'O' rings to the old parts would also have done the job, I intend to save the old parts for spares and just replace all the compressed 'O' rings.

Does anyone know if there are better quality 'O' rings out there?
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 17:08   #3
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the confirmation, just don't know why some flatten others don't.

Mat reckons his are superior, time will tell: https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/o-r...1a4863b3&_ss=r

I did notice that getting the parts in place with the DMGRS O rings required a bit more effort than I remember using even though I'd lubricated them.

Regards
Old 19th November 2021, 08:02   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
... I no longer believe the thermostat housing to be at fault but rather compressed O rings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi_crawf View Post
I think fitting the new 'O' rings to the old parts would also have done the job ...
Hallelujah!

Quote:
Does anyone know if there are better quality 'O' rings out there?
It's not a question of 'O' ring quality Roy. Please read on ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
... just don't know why some flatten others don't.
I'm surprised that you've missed my many posts on this Mike! It's because the serrated clips on the straight pipe haven't been set properly. They must both be pushed firmly outwards so that they are hard against the water pump and thermostat housings. This operation tightens the whole three part assembly, preventing the movement which eventually results in flattening of the 'O' rings and the consequent leak.

Genuine MGR 'O' rings are available, part number CDU 3858. Don't be tempted to use anything larger or you run the risk of breakage.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 19th November 2021 at 08:12..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 08:16   #5
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hallelujah!

It's not a question of 'O' ring quality Roy. Please read on ...

I'm surprised that you've missed my many posts on this Mike! It's because the serrated clips on the straight pipe haven't been set properly. They must both be pushed firmly outwards so that they are hard against the water pump and thermostat housings. This operation tightens the whole three part assembly, preventing the movement which eventually results in flattening of the 'O' rings and the consequent leak.

Genuine MGR 'O' rings are available, part number CDU 3858. Don't be tempted to use anything larger or you run the risk of breakage.

Simon
The previous stat was fitted correctly by Trikey and there was no "sideways" movement when I removed the parts.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 19th November 2021, 08:37   #6
SD1too

Quote:
The previous stat was fitted correctly by Trikey and there was no "sideways" movement when I removed the parts.
Hello Roy and thanks for your comments.

I may be mistaken but from previous discussion I don't think that Trikey accepts that the position of the serrated clips is important.

The "sideways" movement occurs due to natural engine vibration. It would not be easy to reproduce that by hand when removing the parts.

Simon
Old 19th November 2021, 08:53   #7
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Oh believe me Simon I have seen, and read your earlier posts: my point was although the two removed thermostats had been fitted in exactly the same way, one had completely flattened O rings but the others were like new even after some 6 - 8 years.

I don't honestly know the reason but would suggest that some thermostat sets are supplied with O rings of differing quality.

Sure I could buy a set of Rimmer's OEM Genuine O rings, but are these 20 year old stock or actually new Made in Egypt?

If DMGRS’ O rings are as he says stronger yet still the same dimension perhaps they will prove more resilient to compression compared to the ones supplied as OEM. Time will tell.

Keep well
Old 19th November 2021, 09:00   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Hello Roy and thanks for your comments.

I may be mistaken but from previous discussion I don't think that Trikey accepts that the position of the serrated clips is important.

The "sideways" movement occurs due to natural engine vibration. It would not be easy to reproduce that by hand when removing the parts.

Simon

Trikey doesn’t accept Simon, as Roy has stated, I fitted the stat the same way as I have fitted dozens, how come all of the other ones haven’t suffered from flattened O rings?
Old 19th November 2021, 10:27   #9
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
... as Roy has stated, I fitted the stat the same way as I have fitted dozens ..
Hi Andy,

Roy said that you fitted the parts "correctly". I'm not sure what that means. Similarly, "the same way as I have fitted dozens" is ambiguous. If you'd care to elaborate it would be helpful but I've noticed from your previous replies that you like to keep your methods to yourself.

Simon
Old 19th November 2021, 14:39   #10
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Hi Andy,

Roy said that you fitted the parts "correctly". I'm not sure what that means. Similarly, "the same way as I have fitted dozens" is ambiguous. If you'd care to elaborate it would be helpful but I've noticed from your previous replies that you like to keep your methods to yourself.

Simon
Simon,
using your vast wealth of knowledge that I obviously do not possess, how should I have fitted it?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk