Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th November 2021, 22:21   #1
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts
Default Mild sport exhaust note.

I will be having a new SS exhaust fitted in the next week or two, so will be considering the options regarding how I want it to sound.I like the thought of Mild Sport and wondered if any other owners,particularly of 1.8 T's,have opted for this?

My main question would be,is the sport note only present on brisk acceleration or also at idle and when cruising?I understand the depot will be able to advise but it would be nice to hear first hand if anyone else on here has gone that route.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 16:10   #2
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

I'm about to book in with Tony Banks at Leeds Longlife centre,here is part of their email/quote to me.I like the sound of the potential power and torque increase,that should be very noticeable if it's anything like they claim.And improved mpg would certainly be welcome.

I expressed my concerns about how loud it would be being fully free flowing with no restrictions or chambers.They said they can make it both fully free flowing and quiet.I'm not sure how you do that but they are the experts and have a reputation for excellence.

"Thanks for your enquiry for your Rover 75
Our systems are handbuilt from aircraft quality T304 British stainless steel of 2mm gauge wall thickness unlike our competitors that use lower grade 409 steel from China and Korea. We assemble on site using only T.I.G. welders and only use T316 stainless welding rods of the highest quality. The exhaust will last forever ,We give an honest lifetime warranty and We believe that this is the best guarantee in the business.

Our exhausts are full free flow with tuned pipes and no restrictions or chambers. This will give an increase of up to 10% BHP, 10% MPG and 15% more torque at bottom end revs. i.e. the car will accelerate smoother and faster with less gear changes.

You can choose from standard sound (quiet as a mouse) to mid mild sport (hearing the engine on acceleration) to mid sports note (Aston Martin V8 acoustics) or heavy sports (TVR Griffith sound) only for a certain few people! I will try to email you some pictures."

Old 19th November 2021, 17:43   #3
Slaya
Loves to post

MG ZT V6 160+, MG TF 135, Focus 1.6 Zetec

My son has recently been to Powerflow in Coventry to change the SS exhaust on his ZT (V6). They managed to make one so quiet you could barely hear it.

Of course my son took it back and got them to make it noisier ....now it sounds nice outside, but the drone inside literally hurts.
Slaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 18:27   #4
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
but the drone inside literally hurts.

That is what I'm keen to avoid having got used to it being quiet.

You will have to wear ear plugs when travelling with him

Has he noticed any difference in the way the car behaves?

Old 19th November 2021, 18:37   #5
Slaya
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
That is what I'm keen to avoid having got used to it being quiet.

You will have to wear ear plugs when travelling with him

Has he noticed any difference in the way the car behaves?
No real difference to performance that I know of (it already had an SS back box and a 177 remap).

The drone is more noticeable under load, on level ground, cruising it goes quieter - but hit an incline and it's time for the anadin...

We christened the car 'Blue Thunder' with the previous exhaust, but the name seems too tame now.

It's good to know that Powerflow can make them quiet though - Longlife really struggled on my previous ZT and couldn't do it (back in 2011).
Old 19th November 2021, 18:47   #6
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
- Longlife really struggled on my previous ZT and couldn't do it (back in 2011).

What surprised me was Longlife Leeds saying that they can keep the system fully free flowing with no chambers or restrictions while keeping it quiet.I was under the impression it was one or the other.They have a great reputation so we wil see

Old 19th November 2021, 18:51   #7
Slaya
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
What surprised me was Longlife Leeds saying that they can keep the system fully free flowing with no chambers or restrictions while keeping it quiet.I was under the impression it was one or the other.They have a great reputation so we wil see
Yes, I went to Longlife @ Worcester from Coventry for the exhaust as I had heard good things about that particular branch...

I even got a puncture for my troubles and had to visit the tyre place opposite to get sorted. An expensive day all round!
Old 19th November 2021, 20:34   #8
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

i dont have experience with tony banks so cannot compare sounds to my longlife st/st system. i chose the quiet option on mine at fitting , but to me it still booms a little compared to the original set up on the v6. i would have liked it more quiet even though i had an extra silencer installed to achieve this. i suppose what might seem loud to me may be totally acceptable to others who like the sound of a loud exhaust. you make your choices and pay your monies....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 21:16   #9
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
i dont have experience with tony banks so cannot compare sounds to my longlife st/st system. i chose the quiet option on mine at fitting , but to me it still booms a little compared to the original set up on the v6. i would have liked it more quiet even though i had an extra silencer installed to achieve this. i suppose what might seem loud to me may be totally acceptable to others who like the sound of a loud exhaust. you make your choices and pay your monies....
I think any modification to the OE system is going to sound noticeably louder as the factory system was exceptionally quiet.Ideally I would like to hear a throaty roar under spirited acceleration and relative quietness when cruising.I also think that by the nature of SS the system is going to sound more raspy.There was mention of adding an extra silencer which also would have no restrictions so I'm not sure what difference that will make.Oh well,if they have to play with it a bit to get it right so be it.

Old 19th November 2021, 21:30   #10
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

yes i understand . i heard mine on startup after fitting and outside it was good.not too loud or throaty. what you will probably have though is a "booming" sound inside the cabin. this is particularly noticeable going up hills whilst accelerating. thats the only downside to the system i have fitted. but hopefully yours may not be . ... good luck.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote