Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd November 2021, 14:08   #1
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Spring is coming!

Or to put it more correctly springs and rear upper and lower arms are coming.
Having spent Sunday crawling around under the back of the Zed to work out what the grinding noise when reversing was, I'm going to have to get the above little lot replaced. It was the off-side spring that had broken and was rubbing against the rim. Not only that, the upper arm on that side looked like it was made from smokey bacon crisps! How that passed the MOT back in October is anyone's guess. Near-side arm looks OK though the spring did look like it might have failed before, but I don't fancy risking it with going from occassional use to daily.

So, as she's going to be the daily following the demise of the Mondeo last weekend and the chancellor not releasing the purse strings to replace it, I'm going to have to stump up to get the bits and get it done pronto. A wish list with DMGRS has been created, so that's the physical stuff in hand.

Question to the worldly wise out there - how long would it take someone with the right kit (ie, not me) to get this done? If it was warmer weather, I may have given it a punt, but I'm not freezing my bits off now. Either way, this wasn't planned expenditure, so the flexible friend will have to pick it up.
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:57   #2
YHT
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Oh dear; sorry to hear of your probs.
Even sorrier that your title to the post was a false alarm!

Thought I had woken from hibernation and winter was over!
(Can you say Woken in these politically correct days??)
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2021, 18:47   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You can’t really put a time on it, I have changed upper arms in 3 hrs for both.

Remember it only takes one captive but to shear, or one outer bush to seize and you have a whole load more work to do.
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:29   #4
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
Oh dear; sorry to hear of your probs.
Even sorrier that your title to the post was a false alarm!

Thought I had woken from hibernation and winter was over!
(Can you say Woken in these politically correct days??)

Sorry about that. We've not even hit winter yet, so there's a long way to go... Keep smiling though, makes others wonder what you've been up to!

Woken I'm sure is fine. Just wouldn't drop that last letter, otherwise that's a whole hill of problems.
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:34   #5
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You can’t really put a time on it, I have changed upper arms in 3 hrs for both.

Remember it only takes one captive but to shear, or one outer bush to seize and you have a whole load more work to do.

Cheers Trikey. The whole shearing thing is one reason why I'm going to hand it over to someone who's got more idea than I have. When I had the rear brakes sorted in the summer, the caliper bolts had seized almost solid. Based on the state of the one arm, I'm certain some form of brute force, a touch of heat and a few choice words will be required. Either that or it'll just fall out and turn to dust on the ramp.