Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th December 2021, 16:01   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Diesel auto gearbox issue

Hi all,

My dad's 04 year MKII 75 has decided to kick up a gearbox issue since this morning. All was fine yesterday but this morning when he selected drive the gearbox aggressively clonks into gear, even when you first select drive or reverse from park with your foot still planted on the brakes.

Every gear change is then extremely harsh, as if it is banging into gear.

I done a battery reset to rule out the off chance it's just a electrical glitch with the gearbox ECU, and that actually cured it. I was able to drive a couple miles with no issues what so ever. However as soon as I put it in reverse the problem returned.

So after a batter reset it'll drive fine as long as I don't use reverse gear. I believe the issue must have started last night when he reverse it onto the driveway.

Any ideas what the problem could be? It's not going to be as simple as just needing a gearbox oil change is it? Is this signs of the cracked reverse piston issue? Although I thought that was a problem only with the earlier models?

Many thanks
Rick
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 16:30   #2
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Rick,

Sounds like a solenoid issue?

Mike
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 18:24   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Hi all,

My dad's 04 year MKII 75 has decided to kick up a gearbox issue since this morning. All was fine yesterday but this morning when he selected drive the gearbox aggressively clonks into gear, even when you first select drive or reverse from park with your foot still planted on the brakes.

Every gear change is then extremely harsh, as if it is banging into gear.

I done a battery reset to rule out the off chance it's just a electrical glitch with the gearbox ECU, and that actually cured it. I was able to drive a couple miles with no issues what so ever. However as soon as I put it in reverse the problem returned.

So after a batter reset it'll drive fine as long as I don't use reverse gear. I believe the issue must have started last night when he reverse it onto the driveway.

Any ideas what the problem could be? It's not going to be as simple as just needing a gearbox oil change is it? Is this signs of the cracked reverse piston issue? Although I thought that was a problem only with the earlier models?

Many thanks
Rick
Read HERE, and test

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 19:06   #4
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

There's a test procedure,to check the solenoids resistance,to narrow it down ,somewhere Rick.
Also worth checking wiring and connections.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 19:44   #5
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...56&postcount=3
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2021, 20:13   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Rick. I thought I had got a problem with my gearbox on the auto 2.5. I also thought it was the solenoid in the box playing up. Went down to Lates, after being told it was the teardrop under the engine with a new one purchased from DMGRS.Had the belts done, and he showed me the teardrop. It was, to coin a phrase, absolutely knackerd.The rubber was completely cracked and had worn away until there was hardly any rubber left. Drove hame very comfortable without bangs and lurching. So check the teardrop first Rick.
Old 1st January 2022, 12:08   #7
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Costs nothing to try the potentiometer as this cured a similar problem for John Aston who attends our Nano meets

put the ignition on II

without starting the car press the accelerator 10 times to the floor

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2022, 06:17   #8
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

It's been a few years since I had to sort an auto box problem on one of these, but X702UOK was suffering the same issue of very harsh changes when I found it - the main reason it was scrapped. As you went up through the gears, you felt each change would put you through the screen !

Fortunately, it was nothing more than the 2/4 duty solenoid (about £70 from memory), and it can be easily replaced with the car on ramps and a couple hours to get inside the valve chest, right on the front of the box.

Not sure about the reverse piston, but again I believe it's accessible externally, so no need to remove the box, making it a much simpler fix. All our cars are getting old now, so even a late model could find this problem starting to appear.

Good luck.
Old 4th January 2022, 11:18   #9
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Thanks all for the replies. Tested the solenoids and looks like it's definitely the 2/4 duty solenoid.

Going to order the new solenoid from DMGRS. Can anyone advise if this is the correct gasket for the gearbox? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Jaguar...tdvAENoZJWXIJM

And also is this the correct oil? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234077651...Owq3bw9Otll1EY

And how much oil is needed? ? I'm seeing conflicting info on threads and posts, some say around 4l others say 7l?

Thanks
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2022, 12:36   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Thanks all for the replies. Tested the solenoids and looks like it's definitely the 2/4 duty solenoid.

Going to order the new solenoid from DMGRS. Can anyone advise if this is the correct gasket for the gearbox? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Jaguar...tdvAENoZJWXIJM

And also is this the correct oil? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234077651...Owq3bw9Otll1EY

And how much oil is needed? ? I'm seeing conflicting info on threads and posts, some say around 4l others say 7l?

Thanks
The gasket looks to be correct.

The oil though, it depends of it states n402.. since it is a universal one, (that others have apparently used successfully), and the proper one is available for similar money, I would go for the proper one.

Search ebay for smith allen n402.

The volume is dependant on your method. 4 litres is all that can be done.with a basic drain, but there is a how to, to do.a complete change, which is around the 8 litre volume.

Search the forum for beinet1 post about it. It has been added to in the past day or two

Link - https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 4th January 2022 at 12:40..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote