Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th June 2022, 13:12   #1
JefferiesFarnol
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Previous Bodged Repair to Fuel Filter

Hello chaps,

I determined a few weeks ago that I did not have the 'fabled orange clip' in position and so I bought one as well as a new fuel filter and seals. (Before anyone says that you don't need to renew the fuel filter, I am aware of the debate and I just want to).

Then today I went to do the job, and it seems that a previous repair has taken place where, I imagine, the filter was separating and some bright spark fused the two halves together by melting the plastic. I have attached some pictures.

I feel like I'll open a can of worms if I try to force this open but I'm not really content with leaving it how it is forever so I may need to get a new one, but swapping the housing assembly looks like a very fiddly job. I might as well stress that there is nothing actually wrong with the car, I'm just doing this for peace of mind.

JefferiesFarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2022, 16:04   #2
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

I'd say you guessed correctly that it was plastic welding - probably accomplished with a soldering iron. At this stage, if it was MY car, I would drill a 3/16" hole through a couple of the ribs in the upper and lower sections opposite each other. Then I would put cable ties through those holes - upper to lower - as added peace of mind that it will stay together even if a bit of that plastic welding ever failed. Or, if not cable ties, fairly stout lock wire (with smaller drilled holes). Then I would put it completely out of my mind.

But, that's just me...

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2022, 17:23   #3
JefferiesFarnol
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Glenn,

I think next Saturday when I've got the whole weekend ahead of me, I'll make sure they haven't messed up where the clip goes and if it still goes on, I'll try to carefully cut through the welds so that I can get it apart. As I've already bought the new filter and O-rings I'd like to use them but if it's getting to be a nightmare I'll make sure I know when to stop!
JefferiesFarnol is offline   Reply With Quote