Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th February 2022, 20:19   #1
Ad03mgzed
Regular poster

Mg zt

Default The MG ZT 6.4 HEMI PROJECT

Hi all this has been in thvplanning for a couple of years, and now th project is moving forward

We now have acquired a dodge charger 6.4l hemi engine thats come all the way from America, admirably needs a new crank so got some.engine work too do before she be running.

We've acquired a standard v6 shell that was been dismantled sue to engine failure so no good motors are going too get hurt.

We've bidded on the gearbox and rear diff today out of a challanger thats been dismantled, so will be quite custom.

Now weve got photos and drawings off the orgional set up that the v8s had when they were built. Does anyone have a old rotton subframe from a v8 we could use for mock up.

More details on come
Old 8th February 2022, 20:31   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Get in touch with the 260's as they used to do a subframe refurbishment scheme (You bought a refurbed one and gave them your old one in part ex) They might have something that suits.

And we need pics.....
Old 8th February 2022, 20:49   #3
Ad03mgzed
Regular poster

Mg zt

Loads of pics will be put up will put some pics tomorrow off the engine etc, I will give them a call see if they have anything that can be used for mock up etc
Old 8th February 2022, 21:02   #4
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

will be following with interest.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2022, 22:04   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

I built a trike using a hemi engine, all I will say is when fabricating engine mounts, add 20% to your original thickness of the steel, then brace them!!
Old 9th February 2022, 09:25   #6
DeeJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Get in touch with the 260's as they used to do a subframe refurbishment scheme (You bought a refurbed one and gave them your old one in part ex) They might have something that suits.

And we need pics.....
That would be the rear subframe then. I hope that doesn't happen in a way, unless on a loan basis of course, because non-availability of a repairable subframe could condemn a REAL ZT260/75V8 to death, whilst waiting for a transplant. Front subframes are basically the same as FWD cars with a hole hacked through for the rack to be fitted.

Last edited by DeeJ; 9th February 2022 at 10:28..
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2022, 20:10   #7
Ad03mgzed
Regular poster

Mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJ View Post
That would be the rear subframe then. I hope that doesn't happen in a way, unless on a loan basis of course, because non-availability of a repairable subframe could condemn a REAL ZT260/75V8 to death, whilst waiting for a transplant. Front subframes are basically the same as FWD cars with a hole hacked through for the rack to be fitted.
Yes thats correct not that worried with the front aubframe as we can modifi that quite easy.

But in regards too the rear off they have a rotton shabby horrible one that's not fit for use so we can use it for mock up etc that be useful but we won't take a perfectly sound one from them which could be used to keep the originals on the road so do t worry no v8 zeds would be hurt
Old 9th February 2022, 20:11   #8
Ad03mgzed
Regular poster

Mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I built a trike using a hemi engine, all I will say is when fabricating engine mounts, add 20% to your original thickness of the steel, then brace them!!
I completely agree you can buy the permanent custom mounts fro. America but they look flimsy so I do agree add more meat too the brackets etc
Old 9th February 2022, 20:54   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJ View Post
No 260 has to die because of a rusty rear subframe, its only metal at the end of the day, if originals are not available then fabricate something, there will come a time when we have to make certain bits for our cars as the original stuff will be unobtainable.

Look how many vintage cars are still around, all are kept running by folk who make stuff, I hope the Hemi project comes to fruition as I'd hazard a guess it will be finished off a lot better than an original 260.
Old 8th March 2022, 21:42   #10
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Sounds like a very interesting project. How heavy is a 6.4l hemi compared to the standard 4.6 V8? What power output are you hoping for? I'd imagine you must be planning a lot of suspension mods for the extra weight and to get traction as opposed to wheelspin?

Last edited by edwardmk; 8th March 2022 at 21:43.. Reason: typo
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote