Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th April 2022, 12:14   #21
shiner
Regional Secretary London South & West

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Andy,

Whether the braking system is run dry or not is actually irrelevant.

In normal braking mode (ABS modulator inactive) "... fluid from the master cylinder assembly flows through the open ... inlet solenoid valves to operate the brakes." (RAVE 70-21) It really is as simple as that.

As the ABS modulator has not operated no air can be drawn into the accumulator/pump assembly. It is therefore unnecessary to run the modulator to remove air that isn't there. Any air present in the modulator's pipework and open inlet solenoid valve will be purged by conventional bleeding methods. This is illustrated clearly in the modulator schematics in RAVE 70-19 (non-ETC) and 70-20 (ETC).

The MG Rover instructions for bleeding the brakes (Service procedures 70-4) describe the conventional method. There is absolutely no mention of mandatory or optional use of Testbook.

Simon
There has been no mention if the ignition has been put on since the pipes have been changed. If so there is a good change the abs will need to be purged via t4 or simular. Is you're experience based purely on reading rave?.
You critise many on here that work on cars for a living with you're limited knowledge.
By the way CD version of rave, look up bleeding brakes to find out the mentioned procedure.
Maybe rather than belittling posts of others, why not try bieng a polite and change you're tone. You might just learn something helpful to you and others.
Don't forget to lubricate you're copy of rave

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Andy
T4.KV6 belt special tools
[2002 MG ZT 2.5 177 manual Starlight silver
2004 MG ZT-T 1.8T 160 manual green
shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2022, 17:00   #22
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
This was not my experience.

When my brake lines from front to rear burst due to corrosion my master cylinder repeatedly emptied during a journey. I replaced the defective pipe runs and successfully bled the system with nothing more than Easi Bleed.

Reading RAVE shows that the ABS module would only need bleeding using T4 if ABS braking was activated during the brake fluid leak or if the ignition was switched on during the traditional bleeding process (which would be unnecessary anyway). The reason for this is that under normal braking the only active components are the master cylinder, the pipework and the calipers.

Simon
Simon

Do you mean you continued to drive your car knowing that you had a leaking brake pipe and just kept filling it up? To me this sounds very dangerous in an automatic car knowing you were losing your fluid, If that were my car I would now certainly want a correct brake bleed procedure

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2022, 17:43   #23
shiner
Regional Secretary London South & West

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Simon

Do you mean you continued to drive your car knowing that you had a leaking brake pipe and just kept filling it up? To me this sounds very dangerous in an automatic car knowing you were losing your fluid, If that were my car I would now certainly want a correct brake bleed procedure

Dave
Well if the op needs any further advise, he's free to drop me a pm, or yourself dave. Better than listening to those who top up and carry on.
Not much else with worse potential safety outcomes I can think of with an auto box either.

Andy
T4.KV6 belt special tools
[2002 MG ZT 2.5 177 manual Starlight silver
2004 MG ZT-T 1.8T 160 manual green
shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2022, 18:07   #24
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
Well if the op needs any further advise, he's free to drop me a pm, or yourself dave. Better than listening to those who top up and carry on.
Not much else with worse potential safety outcomes I can think of with an auto box either.

Very well put I cant believe that someone would drive a car knowing it had burst brake pipes just topping up the fluid so they can continue a journey putting other innocent people at risk of serious injury and also knowing a car is leaking fluid onto a road that motorcycles could also be on which as we all know can be lethal

It is beyond belief
Old 9th April 2022, 00:30   #25
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi David.
have a read of the link below take note of Jules method

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=63314
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Is this the thread you are referring to Dave? https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=63314

Hi Steve.
Referred to that thread in post 7

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 08:07   #26
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Is there any update to this thread would be nice for the OP to let us know
Old 10th April 2022, 08:19   #27
itcaptainslow
Avid contributor

200Vi & 214 SEi

I’m still of the opinion a power bleed on T4/PScan will do the business here. I struggled to get much fluid through one of my rear calipers when servicing my car in March; a power bleed using PScan got a hell of a lot of fluid through where a normal bleed using my pressure bleeder wouldn’t, and the colour of the fluid that came out…

Considering this car had received regular, two yearly brake fluid changes for some time (I’ve owned it for a few years) but never had a power bleed, it’s opened my eyes as to what the ABS block can hold. Brakes feel miles better now, too.
itcaptainslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 08:47   #28
N00b
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Is there any update to this thread would be nice for the OP to let us know
The biggest update is that I'm rapidly losing my sanity.

My mechanic is confident that the master cylinder is to blame. I find it extremely unlikely that it failed at exactly the same time as the new pipe was fitted.....possible, but unlikely. A new master cylinder is being fitted on Wednesday and if that doesn't cure the problem it will be at my mechanics expense. Should that fail, and I believe it will, I think my only course of action is to have the car trailered to Dave Johnson in Fencehouses. He's only 14 or 15 miles from me so it shouldn't cost more than £50 to get the car to him. As a former master tech I would assume he has a T4 or at least has access to one.

That's all for now. The straps on my straight jacket are coming loose and matron will be here with my medication any minute.

/bangsheadagainstcinderblock
N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 08:51   #29
N00b
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Incidentally, Is it worth getting a Pscan? I understand it falls short of the authentic T4 system, but how short exactly?
N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 08:52   #30
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Let's hope you get it sorted it is a shame you are so far away from me or I would have had a look