Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th May 2020, 21:09   #1
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default Front suspension knock and creak

Hi everyone,
The last couple of days my 75 developed a knock and creak coming from the front I immediately thought its going to be the dreaded droplinks again but I jacked up the car checked everything out and I couldn't find anything that's gone wrong there was no play anywhere both droplinks are new and the top bearings one is new and the other only a couple year old with barely any miles on the creak is quite prominent over speed bumps the knock seems to be a bit random very similar to the droplink knock any ideas what could it be ? I'm Thinking something like wheel bearings or cv joints ?

Last edited by thanos.m; 28th May 2020 at 13:51..
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2020, 16:18   #2
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
Hi everyone,
The last couple of days my 75 developed a knock and creak coming from the front I immediately thought its going to be the dreaded droplinks again but I jacked up the car checked everything out and I couldn't find anything that's gone wrong there was no play anywhere both droplinks are new and the top bearings one is new and the other only a couple year old with barely any miles on the creak is quite prominent over speed bumps the knock seems to be a bit random very similar to the droplink knock any ideas what could it be ? I'm Thinking something like wheel bearings or cv joints ?
If youve ruled out droplinks and strut top bearinf then my money's on the wishbone outer balljoint. If you jack up the wheel, grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock and give it a good wiggle in and out of the car you may feel slight play.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2020, 20:34   #3
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
If youve ruled out droplinks and strut top bearinf then my money's on the wishbone outer balljoint. If you jack up the wheel, grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock and give it a good wiggle in and out of the car you may feel slight play.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cheers for that ! I tried it I couldn't feel any play I'll give a try again just to be sure I also noticed that there is a vibration coming through if I accelerate briskly with any steering input on I'm thinking that this can be related to the problem as well
Old 28th May 2020, 20:55   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Check the whole spring from top to bottom. Sometimes a small section breaks off and just sits in the cup. Also check for small pieces of road gravel getting wedged here and there!
Old 28th May 2020, 20:57   #5
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Check the whole spring from top to bottom. Sometimes a small section breaks off and just sits in the cup. Also check for small pieces of road gravel getting wedged here and there!
Checked the springs they are fine
Old 28th May 2020, 21:10   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Everything is bone dry in this weather we are having. Anything that moves, even a little, on steering or suspension, can ‘dry out’ and make funny noises. When I had my SD1 3.5, I noticed funny noises coming from somewhere in one of the long hot summers we had back then. What I did was go round all the suspension springs with the thinnest oil I had, and put some under the bottom of the suspension springs where it rests on the Mc pherson strut, and just sprayed up inside the covers on the rear shockers . The noise disappeared. I think what happens is components dry out where they interact with metal surfaces.
Old 28th May 2020, 21:12   #7
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Everything is bone dry in this weather we are having. Anything that moves, even a little, on steering or suspension, can ‘dry out’ and make funny noises. When I had my SD1 3.5, I noticed funny noises coming from somewhere in one of the long hot summers we had back then. What I did was go round all the suspension springs with the thinnest oil I had, and put some under the bottom of the suspension springs where it rests on the Mc pherson strut, and just sprayed up inside the covers on the rear shockers . The noise disappeared. I think what happens is components dry out where they interact with metal surfaces.
Thanks ! I'll give it a try tomorrow !
Old 30th May 2020, 16:32   #8
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

And it's again the dreaded droplinks for a second time it seems have come off loose on the top I guess the garage that fit it were not up to the task or there is something else going on
Old 1st June 2020, 09:25   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Drop links. The top nut is hard to get to, so what you do is cut some of the threaded part off before fitting it. Then when you come to tighten the top nut up, you have room for your ring spanner to fit and tighten it up properly. If you don’t cut some off the ring spanner gets stuck when the threaded part protrudes upwards and you can not get it off the rod.
Old 1st June 2020, 12:49   #10
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
If you don’t cut some off the ring spanner gets stuck when the threaded part protrudes upwards and you can not get it off the rod.
Unless you use an angle grinder!