Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th April 2021, 11:39   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default How does my radio work?

I dont seem to have a manual for the radio in my car. Attached is a photo of what I have

what does D and V stand for? One being the opposite of the other I assume
How many stations can each of the buttons 1-5 store? Is it 1 or 1 per band.
The radio seems to display the "wavelength" but not the name of the radio station, can this be changed?

What does Band / AST stand for?

TA is that traffic information?
What is AF?

Sitting playing with the radio a few evenings ago left me realising I dont know how some of it works.

Struggled to tune in to anything decent and when I did, I lost it
What bands does the radio receive

macafee2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6949.jpg (135.1 KB, 40 views)
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2021, 11:48   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Might help Ian
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...37&postcount=2
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2021, 13:06   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
thank you suzublu I have printed a couple of pages to take to the car and practice

macafee2
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:26   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

just found this link via another thread on the forum
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=ice

my radio is different to every example shown. It seems to be a bit of this and a bit of that.

Been out and had a play it it seems it can store about 30 different radio stations, 10 on FM, 5 on FM AST, this just searches for the best signal when the signal fades, 5 on MW, 5 on MW AST and 5 on LW. I need to prove it but I understand a bit more

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 3rd May 2021 at 18:33..
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:54   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I dont seem to have a manual for the radio in my car. Attached is a photo of what I have

what does D and V stand for? One being the opposite of the other I assume
How many stations can each of the buttons 1-5 store? Is it 1 or 1 per band.
The radio seems to display the "wavelength" but not the name of the radio station, can this be changed?

What does Band / AST stand for?

TA is that traffic information?
What is AF?

Sitting playing with the radio a few evenings ago left me realising I dont know how some of it works.

Struggled to tune in to anything decent and when I did, I lost it
What bands does the radio receive

macafee2
I havent read the instructions, but the common explanation for these are

Normally if there is a secondary function to a button (two labels printed on it), it usually requires holding the button down for about 1-3 seconds to access the secondary function. Although in the case of buttons 1-5, these are determined by the source, ie if using the cd player, the secondary functions will be controlled, when using radio, the primary function will be controlled. eg button 1 will access the stored station if in radio, if in cd random play mode will be activated. 2 is preset station stored on 2, or when a cd is playing, repeat mode on a track if pressed once, and maybe if pressed twice it will repeat the complete disc. 3 in cd mode is normally scan mode, where it will play the first 10 seconds of each track on a disc.

TA - traffic announcements - if listening to a cd, it will interrupt the cd to play a traffic announcement. Some but not all stereos, will allow you to set a preferred station to broadcast the TA. Others will broadcast the strongest in the area you are currently in (which I think is better, since it will broadcast something relevant to you). But if it allows for your preferred station, it will interupt another station to inform you of the traffic announcement. Switching this off means your CD or other radio listening is not interupted.

AST stands for auto store - which will store the 5 strongest stations in the area you are currently in to the 5 presets.

Band is waveband - AM/FM/MW and maybe LW

AF - alternative frequency (or sometimes automatic frequency), sometimes a station will broadcast on different frequencies in different areas. As you drive between areas, the frequency should automatically change to obtain the strongest signal. eg at home, a station broadcasts on 102.6 but when I drive to belfast 10 miles away, it broadcasts on 96.7. About a mile away from belfast, radio will change to this. Quite often I wouldnt notice it, normally because the signal becomes weak, and can break up at times. If you switch this function off, you have to manually retune.

D and V? I assume these are D^ and D (downward pointing arrow) on buttons 4 and 5? I assume these are for the cd changer, and allow you to select the discs, up and down.

To store the stations, (I never read instructions lol and this is my go to), try tuning in the station you want, then hold down the button for at least 3 seconds. There may be a beep or a flash of the station.

Press (and hold as it looks to be a secondary function) the RDS button to change to the name of the station, this is normally dependent though, on the strength of the signal. Some stereos with an RDS (Radio Data System) when the RDS is off, it will disable all the other RDS features (station name, traffic announcements and alternative frequencies).

RDS by the way is only applicable to FM stations.

The raised bumps on the buttons are for blind drivers - I jest, they are actually to allow you to navigate the buttons without having to take your eyes from the road.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 3rd May 2021 at 18:58..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote