Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th February 2021, 20:26   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default LED illuminated steering wheel controls

[B]NOW TAKING ORDERS!
ORDER DEADLINE WEDNESDAY 31ST MARCH. /B]

This will most likely be a one time batch due to minimum order quantities required.

Some of you may remember a couple of years ago neilbaker86 done an amazing job of making some LED backlit steering wheel control switches redesigned new switch PCBs to incorporate surface-mounted LEDs, far better than anything I would have been able to make myself.

I had a play with factory steering control switches trying to squeeze in some pre wired LEDs but never achieved a finish anywhere near as good as what Neil has achieved with his custom made switches.

This here are properly made PCBs with LEDs which is how they would have come from the factory if it was a factory fitted option.

I contacted Neil earlier this month as I wanted to order 3 sets for my own cars, unfortunately he doesn't have enough sets left but is happy to make more if there's enough interest to do another batch (ideally needs 20-30 sets as components are purchased in bulk). As Neil is only a member on here and doesn't have access to a wider audience on facebook, I've agreed with Neil to help get more exposure for him by advertising the next batch for him on facebook, and has agreed me to manage it on here for him as well. I've had interest in just over 20 sets so far.

Currently LED colours amber (to match the factory dash lighting), blue and white have been trialed and tested and are successful. LED colours Green and Red are being tested in the coming weeks and should hopefully be available as an option as well.

There are 2 kits available, audio kit for those without cruise control and audio + cruise kit for this with cruise control.

Neil has put many hours into writing up really clear fitting instructions for these accompanied with videos on youtube to guide you through the trickier parts.

His instructions are available to view here:
Audio-only
Audio & Cruise

Fitting is pretty straight forward, requires removal of the steering wheel air bag (held in with 2 torx screws), removing the old PCBs from the steering controls, fitting the new PCBs and fitting the wiring pins to the rotary coupler plug for the new PCBs and taking a sidelight feed from the sidelight wire on the light switch module. Fitting takes around 1 – 2 hours tops and only basic tools are required to fit them.

The audio-only option is a direct replacement illuminated switch PCB and associated wiring (5 wires with pre-crimped terminals), including a single wire with a pre-crimped terminal to fit into a spare pin of the clock-spring, the other end of which will need to be spliced into the illumination circuit in the vehicle (tap-splice included).

The cruise-control kit will be TWO replacement illuminated switch PCBs) and associated wiring (11 wires with terminals pre-crimped), a small 'interconnect' PCB to be housed inside the steering wheel (which basically is there to act as a junction box to ease & neaten installation, and split the illumination supply and ground connections in to two for both sets of switches).

PRICES:
Audio-only: £55 including free shipping in the UK.
Cruise + audio: £89 including free shipping in the UK.

These can be shipped internationally; shipping outside of the UK is £10.
I will be offering a fitting service for these in Thurrock Essex for £60 if you’d like to have them fitted for you

DELIVERY TIME:
These kits will be made to order on a first come first served basis and get them shipped out in that order. As these kits are hand made to order, shipping time will be around 4-6 weeks after the order deadline date depending on how many kits need to be made.

If you’d be interested in a set of these please let myself and Neil know below by stating whether you’d need a audio only kit or cruise + audio kit in the comments below and the LED colour choice you’d require. I'll then send the order and payment details via PM.

Neil put many hours into this project, firstly to design the PCBs and then the time he's put into the wiring side of things for those who have cruise control (due to no extra pins being available for the lighting in the steering rotary coupler). Then on top put many hours into writing up the detailed fitting instructions with supporting videos. Don't know how many ordered in the first batch 2 years ago but would be good to see more owners benefit from his hard work.

All credit goes out to Neil for making this mod possible, 100% of the work put in has been his, I'm just helping get more exposure for a 2nd batch and get his work out to more owners.

Many thanks
Rick
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link

Last edited by Rick-sta; 8th March 2021 at 15:25..
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 20:30   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Old 8th March 2021, 15:25   #3
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Default Now taking orders

As we've reached the minimum order quantity, now taking orders. Let me know if you'd like to order a set. Thanks.
Old 26th March 2021, 18:24   #4
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Reminder just 5 days left until the cut off deadline.
Old 27th March 2021, 11:19   #5
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I would like an audio kit with amber Led's please Rick.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2021, 12:55   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
I would like an audio kit with amber Led's please Rick.
PM on it's way
Old 31st March 2021, 09:06   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Final call, last day to order in this batch.
Old 6th April 2021, 14:19   #8
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Thanks all who have ordered a set. Neil is currently working on these. I have sent round a update email today. If you haven't received it please let me know.

Cheers
Rick
Old 28th April 2021, 15:16   #9
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Default Update.

I've had an update from Neil who's been making all the LED steering wheel controls sets. He has confirmed that all sets are now ready. They will be packaged up and shipped out either end of this week or next week.

Below are links to the detailed fitting instructions Neil made with links to supporting YouTube videos which I mentioned in my posts.

Instructions for installing Audio-only controls:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12O6...ew?usp=sharing

Instructions for installing Audio & Cruise controls:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16sk...ew?usp=sharing

Feel free to send some pics when you've installed them and I'll share them on my Facebook page.

A big thank you to Neil again for all the work he put in to the design of these LED illuminated steering wheel controls + the detailed installation instructions, and also for doing this batch run of them

Can't wait to fit my sets!
Old 28th April 2021, 15:45   #10
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Rick
On a slightly different topic but still related to this.
When you fit the dashboard LEDs, can the dial faces be changed, i.e., mk1 to facelift and visa versa or does a totally new dashboard set up need to be done including virginising the dash and light control?