Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th December 2023, 08:51   #1
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

Default Mg hs exclusive dct (as23) - a second year review and annual service

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT (AS23) - A SECOND ANNUAL SERVICE, REMEDY TO THE 'RADIO MODULE DISCONNECTED' FAULT AND SECOND YEAR REVIEW

It can't be two years since I laid down my hard earned cash deposit for Emmy!

Well, actually yes it can. I placed my order with AppleMG who have looked after my MG's and Rovers for seventeen years now, on Sunday September 19th 2021 and got behind the wheel just 11 weeks later on Saturday December 5th 2021, against all the odds with the shipping delays from China and the Semi conductor chip shortages caused by the Global Covid-19 pandemic.

Those were the days when customers were beginning to face up to six months lead times (in normal times pre covid we expected 8 weeks to 12 weeks). It was one of the happiest days of my motoring life, and I still love Emmy the MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT as much as I did on day one... No, wait a minute, actually even more now, two years down the road!

AVERAGE VALUATION OF MY TWO YEAR OLD MG HS

When I originally placed my order, the MG HS Exclusive Auto (as MG mistakenly called it back then), cost £21,245.83 plus 20% VAT of £4,249.17 (Total £25,495.00). The Sardana red leather Bader interior was £416.67 plus Vat £83.33 making it £500.00 and the top of the range Dynamic Red Tri-Coat paint was £579.17 plus Vat £115.83 making £695.00. So the total cost was £26,690.00. A current Trophy facelift version in the same spec would cost £28,690 and not have the sky roof!

Purely as part of my research, having scoured the various dealership websites, second hand prices, and valuations online, and although this is not definitive, the average valuation of my top of the range MG HS with the top paint and DCT is in October 2023:

£20,200 and £22,250 from a dealer, and between £18,650 and £20,550 sold privately. If part exchanging I might see £17,270. Not that I care as Emmy is going nowhere! But this means Emmy has suffered a £4,440 - £6,490 depreciation on a dealer's forecourt price; a £6,140 to £8,040 drop if sold privately and possibly a £9,420 drop if part exchanging with a dealer (prices are estimations).

MY ORIGINAL ORDER

I opted for the top of the range Dynamic Red Tri-coat paint which cost an additional £695 and had replaced the old Farringdon Red (Dynamic red is the only Tri-coat in the range and is far brighter and radiant than the old metallic), having fallen in love with the original red prototype X-Motion car, plus $500 for the Sardana red Bader leather interior (OK, it's bonded leather but still looks stunning), and kitted her out with every official MG Motor UK that I could get my hands on.This was the point when MG Motor UK began to discontinue the previously available line of 30 official accessories.

She came with all the original UK factory goodies which are listed on my first service/Year review post. They included Fabric and rubber mats, fabric and rubber loadliners,front and rear mudguards,sunshades,rear bumper protector,locking wheel nuts,chrome tailgate finisher,space saver wheel kit, 3rd programmed smart key fob. I then bought a full set of mint Hurricanes and run one as my spare in the boot, and a host of rare overseas official and after market accessories also listed previously.

I also fitted a K&N KN33-2153 air filter £54 from YB Filters UK and a professional Autoglymn Lifeshine three part kit and applied it myself £15.00 from Ebay. Three bottles to do the interior, glass and bodywork with an applicator pad and cloths. Fabulous results even now a year later!

Emmy started a revolution in our road, with neighbours taking photographs of her, one couple immediately swapping their Mercedes for a brand new MG ZS in Dynamic Red Tri-coat, my next door neighbours, Jenny and John falling in love with her and ordering an identical MG HS Exclusive DCT in the same colour and another family who's relative ordered a new MG5 in the red.

So, two years on what are my feelings?

Well as an overall experience, in terms of providing me with what I need from my daily driving requirements, the MG HS Exclusive DCT is quite simply a five star, ten out of ten car for me. She is the best equipped car I've ever owned, by far the best MG I've ever owned too. Now, this comes from a diehard MG Midget and MG B owner and fan and owner of many Rovers up to the marvellous Rover 75 of which I had two for 17 years, part exchanging one in the deal for Emmy, and giving one away (I kid you not) thanks to the Mayor and his Ulez extension!

I swore I would never buy a modern Chinese MG after the fall of the MG Rover empire..... Well it took a lot to make me part with my cash, but I loved the design of the MG HS, watched the tests and reviews, waited until I felt the niggles and faults had been identified and just loved the car. A very thorough test drive sealed my decision.

I took early retirement four years ago, to slow the pace of life down and focus on enjoyment. I don't need massive engines and horsepower, blistering acceleration, and I do not want to join the electric revolution. I find electric vehicles bland, the front grilles look awful just sealed up (why not make nicer chrome grilles and make them attractive), the fast acceleration is not a consideration for me, and the interiors always look sparce, unfinished with huge tablets to control the vehicle. A family member has a Tesla and thinks that accessing the tablet to open or close the windows is really neat... I do not!). I am a petrol head, have been all my life and I like to hear the engine and feel the car in motion, I like a connection with my cars. I name them, I talk to them, they are not just a thing that gets me from A to B. The 30 or so miles from the Plug in hybrid are of little use in my daily driving, and so I happily chose the petrol version.

Now that the Conservative government has seen sense, our tiny island pushing harder and subject to tighter emissions controls and harsher targets than many of the worlds largest countries, and pushing back the date for the ban on the sale of Petrol cars, I am confident I will see out my driving days without having to be forced towards electric ownership.

STYLING AND WOW FACTOR

I loved the styling of the MG HS from the start and still do. When polished the dynamic red Tri-coat paintwork looks absolutely incredible thanks to the Lifeshine paint treatment which is superb, and I still stop to turn back and look at her when after parking. In a sea of boring SUV's, Nissan cumquot, Mazda CX-60, Hyundai's, Skoda's and such, and the chrome details on the HS for me are still head and shoulders above them all. The Jaguar F pace looks dull by comparison. I think the original shape has aged well, and personally I do not think the facelift design is an improvement as the car has now been de-chromed for a sportier look that simply does not appeal to me.

ENGINE AND DCT GEARBOX

The engine is a little gem, plenty for my driving style and needs and quick enough with sport mode and Super sport mode to pull away should I need to. I have never driven flat out from 0-60mph as I do not need to, nor have I exceeded 80mph as nowadays I drive carefully, patiently and have no need to exceed the limits. I fitted a K&N air filter which definitely helped the engine breathe, giving a less jerky pick up and slightly increased mpg figures for my style of driving.

The DCT Dual clutch transmission is simply the best 'automatic' box I have ever used, though mis-sold by MG dealers in the UK and misunderstood by many owners. Thinking ahead and using the Sport mode on occasions when the gearbox might become confused really works, and there is always instant power and the correct gear just by flicking the gear lever backwards once. A recent 750 trip to Devon and Cornwall proved how fabulous the DCT is on very steep inclines, vicious bends and overtaking lanes that are too short and too frequent.

You have to learn how to use the DCT and are rewarded when you do with a wonderful driving experience. It does not like to be rushed, so it pays to take your time, when stopping, pulling sideways and stopping and then reversing for example (onto a driveway), don't rush the DCT and it will work beautifully. Rush the changes and it might fail to engage.

FUEL CONSUMPTION

I drive like a saint most of the time, and am happy that way. From the get-go on runs to the coast including traffic, parking and the A2 or motorways I was recording 43.5-45.5mpg without fail (often around 50mpg). Around town naturally the figures alter depending on the traffic, how long you are stationary, if you use SST etc. I was always managing at least high twenties around town, and often into the thirties, so no moans here.

Owners often moan about poor consumption around town and in traffic, well of course that is the case! My previous Rover 75 2 litre turbo diesel did 55mpg on a run and around town could sink to 15mpg. If you are not moving, or crawling, your mpg will be terrible.

The K&N air filter saw a small gain to 51.5mpg – 55.5mpg regularly on my coastal runs. I have always and will always only use Shell V-Power E5 super unleaded fuel and have dedicated posts on why on my site. Overall, the engine has used no oil in two years, nor has it ever missed a beat. No rev fluctuations, no cutting out, no hesitation, just lovely. Smooth on a run, relatively quiet, powerful enough to pull the two tonne weight with passengers and holiday clobber, what more do I need?

COMFORT AND FEATURES

Comfortable seats with outer thigh support, tall headrests that are comfortable for my 6ft 4ins height, ambient lighting which adds style to the interior at night, adjustable steering that let's me get very comfy and arm and centre armrests that mean I am relaxed at all times.

Fantastic all-round vision, good enough brakes and ABS that I've activated once and which pulled me up perfectly. The sky roof is utterly superb and one of the reasons I would not even consider the facelift model as MG UK took the option away in 2022. The sky roof allows light into the cabin when you open the sunshade, allows just a touch of air when you need it at the flick of a button, lifting just one panel half an inch, or masses of light and air when fully opened. I use it all of the time unless I need the Climate control, which is equally superb. Ice cold air, dual controls as I run hotter than my wife, holds the set temperature perfectly and I find I can set it to the lowest and quietest fan blowing speed in the set up to reduce noise when in operation. In 27 degree heat recently in Devon, we were cool, calm and very comfortable always.

I have all the different original MG HS UK mats and loadliners, and swap them dependent upon the season. So, fabric mats and loadliner in the late Spring and summer and rubber mats and boot loadliner in the winter or on trips. Works a treat and prolongs the life. I bought two rear seat deluxe quilted protectors (one in Red and one in black), which look neat and really helps when carrying dogs or on trips. Money well spent.

ELECTRICS & ANY FLAWS OR NIGGLES?

In this second year, there has been just one instance of the drivers door mirror not folding out on unlocking, and the only time the boot has failed to lock or unlock automatically has been down to parking on a steep incline (which is detailed in the owners manual), or having my Smart key in the car (mine cannot lock with the key inside though many owners HAVE had this happen).

The infotainment is a concern to many people because it is slow and outdated. I totally understand that, but for me it has been in the main, perfectly adequate for my needs. Again, I am never in a rush, I enter the car and always take my time, setting the Sat nav or climate control, or my Flash drive music, before I pull away, and don't really feel that the system is slow. I press a button, there is a short delay and it does what I want, and still offers more technology than any of my previous vehicles.

I have had one or two black screens that soon corrected themselves, but the system has never stopped whilst driving or blacked out on the move.

However, there has been one flaw in the electrical system that I could not remedy myself:

RADIO MODULE DISCONNECTED

I keep a 128GB flash drive in the right hand front USB slot at all times with 4,000+ mp3 songs on, set to random play. When I switch on the electrics it immediately goes to this and starts playing a tune. In June 2023 the dreaded 'RADIO MODULE DISCONNECTED' warning appeared in the far left yellow Radio pane of the three pain infotainment screen.

Now, the system would do nothing for a while and then sometimes default to a random radio station (usually an awful Hip-hop one typically), then after another thirty seconds it would default to one of my pre programmed DAB radio stations, and then onto my Flash drive music finally, or straight to my flash drive.

In reality this was not too much of a problem for me personally. The reason being that I do not, or only very rarely ever listen to DAB radio as I prefer my own music choices. The biggest difference was that where as normal on our trip to Dartmoor National Park or long jaunts, I could switch on and within seconds have my music playing and my Android Auto automatically opening on Waze maps, often it could mean that we were already on the road, a minute or so of driving before it sorted itself out, or my wife would correct it.

It is a common fault noted by many owners. I tried the usual fixes, disconnecting the battery first for twenty minutes, then for over thirty to no avail. I also tried partial and full system reboots and resets which also failed. Many owners reported that moving the leads behind the DAB box sorted it, or having their dealerships correct the fault. It was not really a major problem for me, I knew it would always get back to my Flash drive music, and at worst slowed down the speed of the infotainment system fully working, so I decided to wait a few months until my second service to have AppleMG look at it for me.

My inbuilt iGo8 powered sat nav has been excellent, and I added UK speed cameras from new via a small £1.99 payment to Navie Extras which gave me a years subscription and updates and now, cameras for life. I prefer it's interface and the clear lane markings on motorways, and display colours to Waze, but prefer Waze for it's live updates in real time, user warnings of traffic etc.

My older Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge phone simply did not function fully with Android Auto, and I never liked having a lead from the USB port to my phone, as I like the metal cover closed when driving, and so I fitted a CARLINKIT 5.0 2AIR Android Auto adapter. That plugs into the left front USB port and sits inside the metal cover which can be closed and my Samsung phone connects automatically to it when I start the electrics. When my radio module functions correctly, my phone and car automatically pair on starting the electrics, and android auto automatically starts up Waze Maps with my mp3's playing in the background. The maps voice (Kate) works well over the music and this is a perfect set up for me.

Whatsapp messages are now read out automatically over the speakers and I can speak a reply which is then typed and sent. I also have full 'Hey Google' voice assistant facilities, hands free and can make phone calls, check weather, send messages all without a visible wire.
I still wish there was a 12v socket as standard in the boot. This is a family SUV people carrier that people use for picnics and journeys and it's a pain running a lead from the front USB to the boot for my Coolbox, as I discovered on my Devon trip. It's a minor gripe, and I could have one fitted, but as this is review with my opinions, there is one!

MG PILOT AND THE SAFETY SYSTEMS

I love this suite of safety aids that combine to make my journeys more comfortable and enjoyable, safe in the knowledge that whilst I naturally have complete control over the vehicle at all times, I also have a slew of safety systems which provide an extra degree of safety over and above my own skills.

Emmy has all safety aids set, apart from LANE DEPARTURE, letting the car actually fight me if I try to cross the lane markings, I do not need that and think it is potentially quite off putting. The emergency braking has beeped and activated on a number of occasions, and I am very happy to have it there assisting me. On my Devon trip with miles and miles of fast twisty roads, that I needed to turn off the lane keeping aids that I love most other times, as it did feel as though the steering wheel was not working with me, and I preferred having total control. I would then switch Lane keeping back on once on straighter roads and motorways.

So, no faults which stop my driving, no trips back to the garage, no major problems whatsoever.... I absolutely love the MG HS. It still makes me turn round and look back when I park up. The Dynamic red Tri-coat paint looks fantastic, the chrome grille and accents all over remind me of the old days and my MG's and Rovers from the Seventies onwards. My pet hate are black grille's and dark alloy wheels, and 'sport' packages offered by so many marques, and that's another reason why I do not particularly like the facelift MG HS variants and would not buy one (and having no Sky roof!.... and the front grille looking like a Baleen whale trawling for Krill!).

I still look forward to every journey in Emmy, I enjoy cleaning and polishing her, I still have people remark on her beauty, and start talking about MG's. Stylish, affordable to run, spacious, comfortable, well equipped, safe, enjoyable when the need arises, she stands out in a sea of same looking SUV's thanks to the chrome accents.

STONE CHIPS AND DENTS

I have a few stone chips which is to be expected on any car travelling on the UK's roads these days. Lorries and whizz kids scorching past throw them up. I treat them with the genuine MG Dynamic red tri coat touch up stick which is noit a bad match at all.

I picked up my first dent in two years in September 2023 when my front door was caught in the wind and hit the left rear bumper corner at full force. T-Cut brought the paint back but a tiny dent in the metal none the less. Why do these things upset us so much! I see it whereas many would not and in two years coinsidering the joys of parking in car parks and daily driving, I guess one dent is not so bad.

EMMY'S SECOND ANNUAL SERVICE

For my second annual service I actually brought the date forward by about a six weeks (1st service was 30th November 2022), which I did for two reasons.

Firstly, I am not a winter person, I don't like the cold, especially now I am retired and don't need to get up early each morning on frosty, bitter mornings, to de-ice the windscreen and skid to work! My MG garage in Meopham is cold during the winter, and I prefer warmer temperatures. By getting the service done in October, I am ahead of the bitter late November/early December temperatures I would normally have to deal with each year. I will bring the subsequent service dates forward each time until I am in shorts, Ray Bans and sun cream!

Secondly, Martin at the garage invited me to get it done earlier as there were spots available first thing in the morning and Hire cars available, and he could sort out the Radio module fault at the same time. I also asked him to regas the air conditioning gas as I use mine year round, every journey and have always had my vehicles regassed at two yearly intervals, exactly as manufacturers recommend. Martin said the software update mentioned in the UK was chassis number dependent and so he would check that at the same time.

I drove Emmy up to Apple MG at 08.15am on Wednesday 18th October 2023, and had a good chat with Martin. I mentioned that I have a K&N air filter and so he said obviously that would not be touched and my bill would be amended as I didn't need the replacement air filter. He confirmed that my Chassis number would be checked to see if I need the software update. He said that with regards the RADIO MODULE DISCONNECTED fault, they would remove the glove box and disconnect the DAB module wiring, grease and refit, which usually cures the problem.

Apple MG charge a £20 administration/maintenance charge for use of Hire cars, which I'm sure will have some people spitting feathers as it isn't free. Originally free, they then went up to £10 and now £20. I always top up the fuel that I've used and have absolutely no problem with that. The hire car gives me freedom and mobility, and the fee covers however many days I use it for, in the past up to a week when my Rover 75 had major electrical gremlins.

SERVICE COST AND DETAILS

My garage used the correct specification of oil which is 0W-20 C5 fully synthetic oil, crucial to the long-term operation of the engine in the UK. They replaced the oil filter, sump washer and screenwash, the Pollen filter, changed the battery in the smart key fob, changed the brake fluid and disposed of the old fluids which is classed as 'environemental waste disposal and chargeable.

They also regassed the air conditioning system and checked for leaks with dye.

The checks included:

Checking for any recalls, special exercises and service actions including software updates (there was one):

MY CAR DEC 3 2021
AS23_10.1_NAV_41.44_200924_R
HW VERSION HW003
DAB V2.92_R_20200805 MB V05 QT VERSION V5.8.0

Now:

SW version/CheckSum: SAIC_AS23PUK_NAV-41.01.200923/ 0x4238
APP SW VERSION: AS23_10.1-NAV_41.44_200924_R, 0xfb58
HW Version: HW003/01663958210910014984

Martin said they are not actually informed by MG UK what the updates are for, just that the car needs them, and records showed that mine did. There was a subsequent return to the fault which was finally corrected by:
Software update to the FICM (Entertainment System Control Module) to VERSION 211025

Some other checks:

Fit vehicle protection kit to safeguard the car whilst service being done
Check seat belts/Windscreen wipers/washers and windscreen for damage/Lamps/Horn/Warning indicators/Airbags/Heater and air conditioning system/Electric parking brake/Lubricate door latches/Door hinges/Open sunroof and lubricate runner guides and connect diagnostic computer to check all fault codes and reset SIA.

There were extensive checks in the engine bay for drive belts/cooling system/Pressure caps and hoses/Engine and transmission mountings/Wheel bearings/Driveshafts and gaiters/Wheels and tyres/Tyre pressures/Apply anti seize compound to wheel hubs and carry out annual corrosion/cosmetic inspection and finally carry out a road test and check function of all vehicle systems.

The detailed anti perforation and corrosion checks all showed no problem areas.

The whole process took a couple of hours and once passed, the relevant documentation was printed and signed and dated. My annual AA MG breakdown cover was renewed and confirmed in writing with a breakdown card and telephone number included.

My tyres recorded a universal tread depth of 7mm (Legal limit is 1.6mm) 1mm down on last years service.

Front brake wear was 10% worn (Same as last year)
Rear brake wear was 5% (Same as last year)
Antifreeze frost protection was- 30%

Total cost was £429.74 including A/C regas, environmental disposal of the old oil, labour charges and VAT.

WARRANTY PAPERWORK

I also signed for the warranty work carried out on the software update as MG UK pay the company separately for this. So that's it for a second year, and now I look forward to year three with this wonderful SUV.
My Second road tax payment (first one is paid by MG Motor), is due on November 30th 2023 and has sneakily risen by £15 from last year to £180 online.

MG HS (AS23) - HISTORY, TIPS, HOW-TO'S AND OWNERSHIP

https://www.facebook.com/groups/262120953249062

Happy MG Motoring everyone and Happy Christmas

Paul
MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2023, 10:56   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Thanks for the detailed report

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote