Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th March 2021, 13:57   #21
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo31 View Post
Hi !

I have a constant wind noise noticeable over 50kph in the cabin and it's a nightmare on the motorway.
My mechanic checked under the windscreen trim (which isn't really stuck to the windscreen, there is a gap at some areas on top) and saw broken clips, he showed me them.

Before replacing the windscreen, I wanted to make sure that the air leak was coming from the windscreen so I've put gaffer tape all around the windscreen trim and went for a drive but the wind noise is still here ...

Then, I thought that maybe the wind noise was coming from doors or mirrors so I've put gaffer tape all around the door seals and the mirrors (to cover the gap between the mirror and the housing) but once again, nothing has changed

FIY, spraying water with jet wiper on the windscreen while driving doesn't change anything, the wind noise remains the same.

Do you think that the windscreen can still be the source of the air leak even if I've put gaffer tape all around the outside trim ?
Mine does similar. It's like a buffeting noise.
The tourer I had before didn't have this.
I just turn music up but it does detract from a generally quiet cabin.
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 10:31   #22
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Can a passenger hear it? I'm not being funny, but whenever I get annoyed about a sound and think I can pinpoint the general area it's coming from, a passenger either can't hear it or thinks it comes from somewhere else. Pinpointing a sound sitting inside a box is complicated by reflections. It's not easy to drive at 70mph and try to locate a noise. A passenger however can concentrate better and maybe using some sort of 'stethoscope' (like a newspaper horn), be able to check individual areas.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 10:43   #23
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

There was a post on here once about some sticky felt strips that could be stuck to where the window glass meets the door frame. I bought a roll from eBay for a few quid. Noise sorted along with a rattle.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 28th March 2021, 15:29   #24
Leo31

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Shot in the dark here, but! the window regulator cables do have a habit of allowing the glass to drop a touch, worth a gander to eliminate it.

The windows are fully closed and the noise is definitely coming from the windscreen from my perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
Mine does similar. It's like a buffeting noise.
The tourer I had before didn't have this.
I just turn music up but it does detract from a generally quiet cabin.

I also turn the volume up when I'm going over 50pkh
Did the windscreen get changed recently ? Or the noise has always been there ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Can a passenger hear it? I'm not being funny, but whenever I get annoyed about a sound and think I can pinpoint the general area it's coming from, a passenger either can't hear it or thinks it comes from somewhere else. Pinpointing a sound sitting inside a box is complicated by reflections. It's not easy to drive at 70mph and try to locate a noise. A passenger however can concentrate better and maybe using some sort of 'stethoscope' (like a newspaper horn), be able to check individual areas.

TC

The front passenger can hear it yes but can't really point out where it's coming from ... I'll let someone drive my car on the motorway and try to locate the wind noise as passenger. Or maybe I could try to locate the noise with a blow gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
There was a post on here once about some sticky felt strips that could be stuck to where the window glass meets the door frame. I bought a roll from eBay for a few quid. Noise sorted along with a rattle.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yes I've read the post you're talking about but I'm pretty sure the wind noise is coming from the windscreen. I'll take a look at the windscreen first and then I'll look after the door frames.The fact that I gaffer taped everything that might cause a problem (mirrors, doors, windscreen) but I still have the noise is really strange ..
Leo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 15:32   #25
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

I've never had the windscreen changed and not sure if previous owner did.
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 08:46   #26
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Shot in the dark here, but! the window regulator cables do have a habit of allowing the glass to drop a touch, worth a gander to eliminate it.

TBH anytime I ever noticed excessive wind noise it would be one of the windows dropped a whisker. pulling up on all the window switches often cured it.
Now I've thought about there is one other cause and again it's wind getting around the window glass, this time the vertical window channels seal. With age becoming compressed and not sealing well. Some foam tape added to the channel helped. I'm sure they'll be a how to here somewhere. (tape up door window edges to check).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 10:10   #27
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
TBH anytime I ever noticed excessive wind noise it would be one of the windows dropped a whisker. pulling up on all the window switches often cured it.
Now I've thought about there is one other cause and again it's wind getting around the window glass, this time the vertical window channels seal. With age becoming compressed and not sealing well. Some foam tape added to the channel helped. I'm sure they'll be a how to here somewhere. (tape up door window edges to check).
He does appear sure it's coming from the windscreen area, the only other possibility I can think of is air being forced up to the plenum cover ends via the drain channels between the bonnet edges and wings, as an elimination test I'd remove the cover, tape the bottom of the screen and hit the motorway, or block the channel with some rag, rubber or paper.
Old 13th January 2022, 13:49   #28
Bazzateer

Just curious as to whether this was solved?
Or did the OP just gaffer tape his ears?
Old 13th January 2022, 15:29   #29
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzateer View Post
Just curious as to whether this was solved?
Or did the OP just gaffer tape his ears?
------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote