Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th May 2017, 12:51   #1
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Default Part number please...

Hi,

Looks like i have an mtf leak from inside the bell housing.

Don't think it's the slave but i guess I'll find out once I've stripped her down.

Anyone got the part number for the oil seal inside the bell housing. I looked at Rimmer's diagrams but i couldn't make it out. It's for the diesel.

Edit.. what I mean is i couldn't work out where the leak could be coming from..?

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by Daveluck; 14th May 2017 at 13:16..
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 14:05   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Is the 'oil' brown/amber or black? It could be from the rear crankshaft seal presumably?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 14:46   #3
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Is the 'oil' brown/amber or black? It could be from the rear crankshaft seal presumably?

TC
Yeah I thought that could be a possibility

I think I've got 2 leaks.

1. Clear / tawny coloured which I'm 99% certain isn't the slave. I check the level on that weekly and its all good. It appears to be coming from the center hole of the bell housing. Which made me think it could be the internal seal to the transmission.

2. A much darker / dirtier leak which seems to manifest on the back corner nut of the sump bolts. I think that maybe a leak from the long driveshaft which is picking up some crud as it makes its way down to the sump or its from somewhere higher up which would point to engine oil.

I think i just need to bite the bullet and get it back into the garage and stripped and split. I've got another leak at the front of the engine, looks like its a bit high for the front crankcase seal, that needs some attention as well.

I've also got 2 new lower arms and bushes to fit...so I'm guessing if the clutch comes out I can fit the arms onto the subframe while its out and fit the new bushes as well.

Dave
Old 14th May 2017, 14:51   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Yes, strip down before you start buying parts it may not need. Some of the seals are rather expensive these days.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 14:55   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
1. Clear / tawny coloured which I'm 99% certain isn't the slave. I check the level on that weekly and its all good. It appears to be coming from the center hole of the bell housing. Which made me think it could be the internal seal to the transmission.
Just a wee bit curious about checking the clutch fluid level weekly . . . . with the reservoir being in such an awkward position I've never known anyone check it that frequently. Tell me to "go away" of I'm wrong with this but I hope you are not following the Haynes manual which says the brake and clutch feed from the same reservoir because they don't. The reservoir in the plenum is only for the brakes, the clutch reservoir is positioned at the top of the clutch pedal under the dash.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 15:43   #6
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Just a wee bit curious about checking the clutch fluid level weekly . . . . with the reservoir being in such an awkward position I've never known anyone check it that frequently. Tell me to "go away" of I'm wrong with this but I hope you are not following the Haynes manual which says the brake and clutch feed from the same reservoir because they don't. The reservoir in the plenum is only for the brakes, the clutch reservoir is positioned at the top of the clutch pedal under the dash.
Nope, just paranoid.

What with everyone saying how poor the Luk plastic slaves can be.

Its a pain but I can do it in less than 10 minutes now. I suppose I could ease up a bit now that its been in for nearly a year but I've just got into the habit of doing it.

And it is not that hard is it? Chair back, drop fascia panel, contort, long handled driver and curse at the lid, dip your finger in, breath a sigh of relief, curse the lid, un-contort, replace fascia, faff around longer than what is necessary trying to get the seat back into a comfy position. Swear that I'm not doing it again, do it all again next week?

Its a bit like the front bumper and slam panel. I got to the point where I could whip them suckers off in about 20 mins.
Old 14th May 2017, 16:38   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Bumper and slam panel is a dawdle! I replaced my fan twice, first replacement didn't work. I had a leaking slave, until I got it replaced I was topping up, tore my right hand to shreds getting it between the clutch and heater.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote