Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th October 2021, 17:56   #21
ardenconny

Rover 75 Saloon

Well that was fun while it lasted. A couple of days ago I was driving my 75 for my usual commute between 2 cities (around 200kms) and at around 150km mark, the transmisson broke down again.

This time however, it made a lot of concerning thuds and shook the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- out of the car. I noticed how the car’s revs were stable but the speed was dropping as if I wouldn‘t have pressed the gas at all (it wasn’t an uphill or anything). I pulled over at the nearest bus stop for a break. The car did start moving, and I was able to drive it for around 15-20kms when it stopped again and wouldn‘t move at all anymore. I needed to push the car the car to safer spot and holy moly it sure is a heavy car.

After a legthy tow, the car reached my mechanic, and he was astonished. He told me that he had double-checked anything that he did to it and made sure to top up the gearbox with the correct type of oil. He determined that the reverse piston and/or the friction plates were ruined again. But how this could happen again, as the gearbox didn‘t slip at all before this and I didn‘t torture the box at all. Should I get the transmisson replaced or should I still get the box repaired? It‘s ridicilous how the box only lasted around 350 kilometers of driving. Are all Rover 75 autoboxes this unreliable, or have I gotten a particularily bad one?

Few weeks ago, I took the car to a different mechanic due to a check engine light, and he said that the engine cooling fan no. 2 is broken and the VIS actuators 1, 2 and 3 are stuck and therefore broken. Also, the Lambdas are giving me some kind of error code as well. So that’s a long and expensive-sounding list of faults to be fixed. Should I even bother to save this car, or should I sell it for scrap???
Owner of Conny, a 1999 model year Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 KV6 Auto. She was born on the 21 of April 1999 at 11:30 and was 34th car built that that day.

* This vehicle was the 1,500th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
* This vehicle was the 26th 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur in Arden Green Pearlescent (JBR) with Deepsea Green interior to be made out of 545
* This vehicle was among the 24 75s in that spec that were exported to Finland
ardenconny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 19:02   #22
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenconny View Post
Well that was fun while it lasted. A couple of days ago I was driving my 75 for my usual commute between 2 cities (around 200kms) and at around 150km mark, the transmisson broke down again.

This time however, it made a lot of concerning thuds and shook the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- out of the car. I noticed how the car’s revs were stable but the speed was dropping as if I wouldn‘t have pressed the gas at all (it wasn’t an uphill or anything). I pulled over at the nearest bus stop for a break. The car did start moving, and I was able to drive it for around 15-20kms when it stopped again and wouldn‘t move at all anymore. I needed to push the car the car to safer spot and holy moly it sure is a heavy car.

After a legthy tow, the car reached my mechanic, and he was astonished. He told me that he had double-checked anything that he did to it and made sure to top up the gearbox with the correct type of oil. He determined that the reverse piston and/or the friction plates were ruined again. But how this could happen again, as the gearbox didn‘t slip at all before this and I didn‘t torture the box at all. Should I get the transmisson replaced or should I still get the box repaired? It‘s ridicilous how the box only lasted around 350 kilometers of driving. Are all Rover 75 autoboxes this unreliable, or have I gotten a particularily bad one?

Few weeks ago, I took the car to a different mechanic due to a check engine light, and he said that the engine cooling fan no. 2 is broken and the VIS actuators 1, 2 and 3 are stuck and therefore broken. Also, the Lambdas are giving me some kind of error code as well. So that’s a long and expensive-sounding list of faults to be fixed. Should I even bother to save this car, or should I sell it for scrap???
I've been driving 75s with autoboxes, both 2.0 & 2.5 for some eight years now and I regard them as the most reliable part of the car. Seamless gear changes, good kick down etc. I'd give up with your current box and invest in another possibly later 2003 onwards box as I believe the reverse piston fault was recognised and fixed. Plenty in Swedish scrapyards and not too expensive (bildelsbasen.se).

The errors stated are strange: you haven't got two cooling fans, but judging by the age of your car one fan with a three speed system. Easy to check, get yourself a copy of Toaf (use the search) and don't rely on this mechanic.

And you've only got two VIS motors, again test with Toaf, I can help with renovated ones, or contact Stocktake on this group.

The lambda fault might be due to lack or incorrect service, but the fan, VIS motors are relatively cheap, the gearbox replacement will cost a bit especially if you can't do it yourself but a good, condition A box must be better than fighting the one you've got.

Regards

Last edited by vitesse; 14th October 2021 at 19:03.. Reason: auto correct
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 21:09   #23
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

TOAF is here - https://toaf.roverki.eu/index.php/en/

It needs the VAG interface, but adapted for the MG/Rover.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 07:02   #24
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
It‘s ridicilous how the box only lasted around 350 kilometres of driving. Are all Rover 75 autoboxes this unreliable ...
Hello Samu,

I'm very sorry to hear of your continuing problems. As Vitesse says, the JATCO automatic transmission is extremely reliable. Reverse piston failure is rare and can be replaced without any further problems. I'm afraid that in your case the prime suspect is the workmanship.
Quote:
I took the car to a different mechanic ... and he said that the engine cooling fan no. 2 is broken and the VIS actuators 1, 2 and 3 are stuck and therefore broken ... Should I even bother to save this car ...
Yes, but you'll need to find someone who properly understands your Rover 75!
Your second mechanic's diagnostic tool has reported that the second fan speed isn't working. That's because you most likely have a 2 speed fan rather than the earlier 3 speed system so the "middle" speed isn't present on your car. You can ignore that fault code.
Your two VIS actuators are inexpensive and easy to replace via this club. Almost everybody has, at one time or another, had to do this. It's a minor issue.

Keep in touch Samu.

Simon
Old 29th January 2022, 10:13   #25
ardenconny

Rover 75 Saloon

Hello,

I sure have taken my time to reply. I am only now getting back at fixing the car. I took the car to a different mechanic, and they so far have repaired the VIS motors. They were apparently full of oil and had cracked solder joints.

I am wondering what kind of gearbox should I get, like is there a difference between different year gearboxes or something? My options are:

2002 2.0 V6 (same engine as mine) automatic for 150€
2003 2.0 Diesel automatic for 200€
2002 2.5 V6 automatic for 250€

I obviously think that I should get the newest box possible (to avoid any problems), but as you can see, my options are kind of bleak. Can I even fit a diesel automatic to my petrol 2.0 v6?

Plus I am in no hurry in fixing this car. I am all in doing it just right. My 45 1.8 Kavachi serves me quite well for time being.
Owner of Conny, a 1999 model year Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 KV6 Auto. She was born on the 21 of April 1999 at 11:30 and was 34th car built that that day.

* This vehicle was the 1,500th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
* This vehicle was the 26th 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur in Arden Green Pearlescent (JBR) with Deepsea Green interior to be made out of 545
* This vehicle was among the 24 75s in that spec that were exported to Finland
ardenconny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2022, 10:30   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I am wondering what kind of gearbox should I get, like is there a difference between different year gearboxes or something? My options are:

2002 2.0 V6 (same engine as mine) automatic for 150€
2003 2.0 Diesel automatic for 200€
2002 2.5 V6 automatic for 250€
The gear ratios are different Samu depending upon engine type so choose the 2002 2.0 V6 transmission as it will be correct.

By the way, it doesn't follow that newer means more reliable.

Simon
Old 22nd February 2022, 21:14   #27
oxford5pob

Rover 75

Default it failed

Our Jatco box failed at 120K mainly due to NO magnet in the sump. Rebuilding it cost $6K au plus fitting etc. ouch!
oxford5pob is offline   Reply With Quote