Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th October 2021, 15:49   #1
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Brake Mystery

I just returned home from a 10 mile drive. I drove slowly close to home so as to require minimal braking. On my drive I (carefully) felt all the brake discs with my finger through the gap in the wheel spokes. The rear offside disc was very hot. I raised both rear wheels using the rear jacking point. I started the engine then tried stabbing the brake pedal and long steady presses. Under all types of repeated braking both rear wheels rotated freely as soon as the pedal was released. I also tried applying the handbrake. One click made both wheels hard to rotate by hand and two clicks made both wheels impossible to rotate by hand. As soon as the lever was released both wheels rotated freely.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 15:58   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Sticking calipers perhaps? Mine were the same a while back, cleaned the pins and regreased.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 16:41   #3
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
I just returned home from a 10 mile drive. I drove slowly close to home so as to require minimal braking. On my drive I (carefully) felt all the brake discs with my finger through the gap in the wheel spokes. The rear offside disc was very hot. I raised both rear wheels using the rear jacking point. I started the engine then tried stabbing the brake pedal and long steady presses. Under all types of repeated braking both rear wheels rotated freely as soon as the pedal was released. I also tried applying the handbrake. One click made both wheels hard to rotate by hand and two clicks made both wheels impossible to rotate by hand. As soon as the lever was released both wheels rotated freely.

With lifting the car at bothsides the rear arms have lowered to the extended travel of the shock absorbers , and are not in the normal road traveling position
Your hand brake in the position your arms are in as only two notches to solid wheel lock and is actually quite tight . It is possible that in the normal travelling position of the arm as the handbrake cable routes it is in fact tighter than it is now and is binding
The way to check this is to sit axle stands under the arms and let the arms take the weight of the car as it would on the road and retest
I hope you understand what I mean
Not seen this before with a Rover 75 /Zt but i have with other makes
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 18:18   #4
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Steve, I understand what you mean and you may be onto something. I will try it tomorrow and report back.
Old 16th October 2021, 09:06   #5
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

This morning I supported the rear of the car under the arms. This made no difference to the handbrake operation. Both wheels were completely free with the lever down, it was possible to turn wheels by hand on one click and not possible to turn wheels by hand on two clicks. I wonder if when driving along the road and the rear suspension is compressed beyond the normal rest position if this is affecting the handbrake cables and intermittently applying the hand brake. This would be difficult to simulate when the car is stationary.
Old 16th October 2021, 10:15   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... it was possible to turn wheels by hand on one click and not possible to turn wheels by hand on two clicks.
Hi Steve,

In my experience your handbrake has been adjusted to be far too tight or the mechanism requires cleaning and lubrication. As a guide, four clicks for the wheels to be locked is more practical and realistic.

Simon
Old 17th October 2021, 08:21   #7
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Steve,

In my experience your handbrake has been adjusted to be far too tight or the mechanism requires cleaning and lubrication. As a guide, four clicks for the wheels to be locked is more practical and realistic.

Simon
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
Your hand brake in the position your arms are in as only two notches to solid wheel lock and is actually quite tight .
I did mentioned brake cable tight in first post , was my main reason for getting to re test I agree 3 to 5 clicks, brake rub to wheels locked is realistic

Last edited by TourerSteve; 17th October 2021 at 08:23..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2021, 18:33   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The only way to check this properly is to remove the brake disc and inspect the components, someting may have broken causing it to become tight.

If all is well, give everything a good clean and refit the disc, release the tension on the nut at the handbrake lever, then adjust the handbrake at the wheel until the disc cannot move then back off the adjuster three clicks.

Now adjust the tension at the lever until you get 2-3 clicks at the handbrake, I use this method and never have an issue.
Old 18th October 2021, 08:35   #9
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I backed off the adjusters at the hubs ensuring they were balanced but allowing more lever travel. After that the car felt more responsive (brakes not binding) and after 6 mile run both rear discs/drums were cold. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Old 18th October 2021, 09:43   #10
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
I backed off the adjusters at the hubs ensuring they were balanced but allowing more lever travel. After that the car felt more responsive (brakes not binding) and after 6 mile run both rear discs/drums were cold. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Thanks for coming back with solution, not everyone does, it can help others with the same problem.