Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th February 2013, 22:35   #1
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

'54 Black MG ZT CDTi + 160

Default My Pearl Black '04 ZT CDTi + 135

Following on from my previous thread asking for a bit of advice, I have just arrived home with my new car!

Saw it advertised on the net for a reasonable price, 2004 54 plate ZT CDTi + 135 model in metallic, possibly pearlescent black(?).

I won't bore you with too many details, but the drive home was fantastic, much better than I'd anticipated.

The car has covered 91k miles, but it still feels so tight and responsive, everything from acceleration to handling, braking, steering etc, the feel of it is more like a car with half or a third of the mileage.

The handling especially impressed me. When accelerating out of A & B road tight corners, it just so, well, planted for want of a better expression. It gives a very sure, and confident drive.

If I'm honest, I am somewhat underwhelmed with a few things. The spec levels leave a bit to be desired... No trip computer, no cabin ambient lighting etc etc, but that's probably just the model that I have bought (?).

Here are some pictures:-

I do have a few plans for it, I'm not normally one to leave a car standard!

It no particular order, but things that I have have already noticed need (want) to change are:-

Stereo - it has the flip screen tape & boot cd changer. Although the quality is ok, I need to be able to attach my iPhone & Pod somehow... Any suggestions welcome.

The wheels, whilst not the worst that I have seen, really could do with some attention. Ideally I'd like to get them refurbished, possibly in a dark anthracite colour. I'll need a couple of tyres soon too.

The front MG badge has faded somewhat, so that'll need replacing, possibly with a black, carbon, or anthracite effect one.

The drivers seat, whilst in pretty good condition, does have some bobbling on the alcantara, so I'll try and tackle that, delicately!

The bodywork could do with a good t-cut, mop & polish, so I may look into getting that done professionally, then keep on top of it regularly. I've not had a black car for a while, but my memory is that they are a nigtmare to keep clean!

I don't like 'GB' number plates, so I'll be getting some new ones, possibly with the full size rear, but I can't decide if I'll prefer it the smaller size

As I was viewing it, the rear number plate lights both went out! It could be a fuse, or something more sinister, so I'll have to look into that asap. I'd like to replace the bulbs with LED's anyway.

On that note, I'd like to replace the interior light bulbs with LED's too, for a bit more of a modern feel.

The drivers mat, whilst original, has a little wear hole in it, so I'll probably replace them with a new set from ebay.

When I get a new car, I like to go way over the top and give it a really good clean, so that's coming soon too!

I'd appreciate any comments, ideas & suggestions please. This is my first MG, so I'm very new to this game!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by coolasacucumber; 4th April 2013 at 08:44..
coolasacucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 22:40   #2
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

One other strange problem occured on my journey home - when I got to 60mph & above, the red light on the dash for an open door, bonnet, boot etc came on. I pulled straight over to check, and all were shut properly.

Pulled off, and the same thing happened again, but only over 60, if I slowed down, it went off!

I'm guessing there is a faulty sensor, but that may be fun to locate & check...
Old 8th February 2013, 22:44   #3
Petetourer
This is my second home

None at present

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasacucumber View Post
One other strange problem occured on my journey home - when I got to 60mph & above, the red light on the dash for an open door, bonnet, boot etc came on. I pulled straight over to check, and all were shut properly.

Pulled off, and the same thing happened again, but only over 60, if I slowed down, it went off!

I'm guessing there is a faulty sensor, but that may be fun to locate & check...

More than likely the bonnet switch Easy fix..... When you open the bonnet, you will see the swith on the slam panel...

Oh, and for your boobly alacantara, try shaving it Seriously, it works....

Then a 2002 MG ZT-T CDTI + in Starlight Silver

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 + in Royal Blue

Then a 2002 Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connie SE

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.0 CDTi + In Le Mans Green
2004 1.8T ZT-T + In Goodwood Green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Petetourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 22:46   #4
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Congratulations on your buy. Use the search function for a lot of info on here. Badges are available and lots more.
The bonnet light is very common, just put a spacer between the bonnet and switch, the cover does come loose and get water in it as well. A small flat screwdriver is needed to slip it back into place.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 23:03   #5
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

That'll be the first fix tomorrow then! Thanks for the advice. How did we all survive before the internet??
Old 8th February 2013, 23:04   #6
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

Can anyone clear up my paint colour query? Is it pearl or 'just' metallic black?

Thanks!
Old 8th February 2013, 23:08   #7
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

One very important check...... the PLENUMS

Nice looking car btw.... hope you manage to sort out the niggles and enjoy the car.

One thing I have always done with every vehicle I have bought is to change all the fluids, filters and check the brakes (regardless of service history).

You then have a bench mark of what has been done when

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 23:11   #8
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasacucumber View Post
Can anyone clear up my paint colour query? Is it pearl or 'just' metallic black?

Thanks!
The paint code should be on the front passenger door pillar.

Some useful links nicked from Reebs' signature

Check your trim here . Check your spec here
Check your colour here . Check Project Drive here
Check your original price here

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 08:44   #9
Brabus
This is my second home

01 75 tourer cdt,1973 Rover 3500S,,1974 Rover 3500 Auto,1998 216 SE Coupe, 1968 Morris Minor 1000

Car looks great .The MK2 ZT looks best in black. Good luck with her.
121st 75 Tourer to be made
15th 75 Tourer CDT Club SE to be made
36th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic to be made

Membership No 903

I was one of the 541
Brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 09:18   #10
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

re the warning light as mentioned most likely the bonnet.open it up look at the x2 holes where the pins go in.you should see a lug sticking out.if not slacked of the x2 bolts a tadge they will then pop out.oil well and they should be ok.you also find by doing this the relase lever in the car will no longer be slack.failing all this if it still happens get a felt pad the type you put on the bottom of chair legs to stop them marking the floor and stick that under the bonnet above the switch.do not press down hard on the front of the bonnet.otherwise you will end up with two hand size dents in it.