Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th September 2021, 17:06   #21
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
That's great. In terms of handling, the XE is better than even the 3-series. It's the best of all in its class.

The gearbox is actually a ZF8 i.e. an 8 speed auto, the same as the 2012 onwards XF.

Thank you for the feedback.
It’s a 6 speed manual, couldn’t bring myself to have an auto, even though the choice of manual severely limited the amount on sale.
I’ve now had confirmation from work of our working hours for the next year, and so I’ll be getting the XE, will phone up and arrange it all tomorrow. So I will subscribe later and advertise my ZT here along with all the bits and pieces I’ve had stashed away.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2021, 21:02   #22
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Well, it's now been 2 weeks since I got the XE to replace the ZT, and it's already been back to the garage for some work! Luckily nothing major, just a sticky caliper, so they replaced it with a new one.

I still can't quite get used to the electric hand brake on hill starts, and I keep reaching to turn the non-existent ignition key to shut down the engine, instead of pressing the button, but overall its a lovely car to drive. A trip to York and back, 315 miles in total, saw me get 65mpg, best I ever got from the ZT was 49mpg. The £0 a year to tax is also a nice saving. It's not perfect, less practical as a family car, a little less legroom in the rear, the boot is smaller with more restricted access, and the seats don't fold down. But most of the time its just me in the car and its such a lovely smooth drive, but sporty when you want it to be! For me it's a perfect balance being a useable daily car like the ZT was, but with the speed/sporty feeling of my old Rover 25 GTi (and the colour looks similar to Tahiti blue).

A few photos on my quick getting used to it drive when I picked it up, ended up driving round for nearly 4 hours:

Old 18th October 2021, 22:17   #23
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hope the furniture does not give any problems?
Old 18th October 2021, 22:20   #24
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Very nice - really like the colour.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 06:47   #25
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

It's a strange thing letting go (or pushing out of the door) a car you've enjoyed for years. Usually there's an issue that makes up your mind. It may be funds, health or pressure from a partner. For me it was simple, wife and I both struggled to get in and out of the car. We had a limited budget but felt it obscene to spend wads of cash when our children could benefit from any surplus funds we accumulated. So we got an Astra 1.6. I love driving it and an RAC patrolman told me "We never see them" so yes, cheap and reliable. I look back with affection, but don't regret the swap.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 15:51   #26
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
It's a strange thing letting go (or pushing out of the door) a car you've enjoyed for years. Usually there's an issue that makes up your mind. It may be funds, health or pressure from a partner. For me it was simple, wife and I both struggled to get in and out of the car. We had a limited budget but felt it obscene to spend wads of cash when our children could benefit from any surplus funds we accumulated. So we got an Astra 1.6. I love driving it and an RAC patrolman told me "We never see them" so yes, cheap and reliable. I look back with affection, but don't regret the swap.
That was my struggle, making the decision to get rid of a car that was running fine and replace it with something else. I was talking to my Dad on the phone after I'd put a deposit on the XE, and said as much as it'd be sad, it would be a lot easier if I parked the car somewhere and someone stole it or wrote it off.

The ZT was lovely, but my experience of cars was limited to around 6 different models, a Citroen AX, Rover 25 and 400, Nissan Qashqai, Skoda Octavia, new MG ZS. The XE is a revelation in terms of smoothness and comfort, as well as being easy to keep at a steady speed, and is just a joy to drive. Don't think I'll be looking back
Old 19th October 2021, 16:29   #27
Herbert75
Regular poster

Rover 75 connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
I've reached the point where if I'm going to keep the ZT, it needs to be up the standard it was when I got it. Unfortunately, pricing that up comes to £2500, £3500+ if I do everything I want to. I love the car, and it's done me well, but there's still some common failures that Haven't happened yet, so need to budget for them in the near future, that's another £600+. Spending that sort of money on a 17 year old, 200,000+ mile car, that I'd only ever get no more than £1000 for seems silly.

I really like the look of the Jaguar XE or Mazda 6, I also liked the VW CC, but have read too many problems with them.

My head says replace the ZT with something newer, more efficient, cheaper tax, and a better starting point, as in, everything being in good condition to start with. My heart says keep the ZT, at least get it to it's 20th birthday, it was our wedding car, but I can't keep seeing it in the state its in, so would have to spend a serious amount on it. Tricky decision, and I think whichever way I decide, I'll regret it.
Herbert 75 here I can only say in my experience which now I’ve reached the age of 58 with many British cars under my belt sort of speak , is when you’ve a car such as this with its memories as this has then it’s irreplaceable and as such you will always regret the decision You can always earn more money or in the future you could have the means to improve the motor car. Once it’s gone that’s it
Herbert75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 16:41   #28
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Well, it's now been 2 weeks since I got the XE to replace the ZT, and it's already been back to the garage for some work! Luckily nothing major, just a sticky caliper, so they replaced it with a new one.

I still can't quite get used to the electric hand brake on hill starts, and I keep reaching to turn the non-existent ignition key to shut down the engine, instead of pressing the button, but overall its a lovely car to drive. A trip to York and back, 315 miles in total, saw me get 65mpg, best I ever got from the ZT was 49mpg. The £0 a year to tax is also a nice saving. It's not perfect, less practical as a family car, a little less legroom in the rear, the boot is smaller with more restricted access, and the seats don't fold down. But most of the time its just me in the car and its such a lovely smooth drive, but sporty when you want it to be! For me it's a perfect balance being a useable daily car like the ZT was, but with the speed/sporty feeling of my old Rover 25 GTi (and the colour looks similar to Tahiti blue).

A few photos on my quick getting used to it drive when I picked it up, ended up driving round for nearly 4 hours:

It looks nice actually, especially in the third picture down where it looks like a fastback. Not in the bottom picture though. It looks a bit generic in that one.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 17:32   #29
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert75 View Post
Herbert 75 here I can only say in my experience which now I’ve reached the age of 58 with many British cars under my belt sort of speak , is when you’ve a car such as this with its memories as this has then it’s irreplaceable and as such you will always regret the decision.........
I really don't think he will - he's bought a modern Jaguar!

Generally, I don't understand the emotional attachment that some of you feel for your old cars. My approach is that once you've moved on, never look back. I can guarantee that things were never quite as rosy as people imagine afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
It looks nice actually, especially in the third picture down where it looks like a fastback. Not in the bottom picture though. It looks a bit generic in that one.
A modern Jaguar is as generic as a Mercedes or a BMW, if that is your definition of generic. Nothing else comes close in terms of style, dynamics and quality.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 22:04   #30
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
Not in the bottom picture though. It looks a bit generic in that one.
Quote:
A modern Jaguar is as generic as a Mercedes or a BMW, if that is your definition of generic. Nothing else comes close in terms of style, dynamics and quality.
I have to say I do agree that the rear is a little disappointing, they did so well with the front end, and the sides, then you get to the back and it could be Fords finest mundano. Not helped by the lack of any visible tailpipes, something which I hope to address next year. But to be fair, I always thought that the ZT wasn't particularly nice from that angle either.

Quote:
I really don't think he will - he's bought a modern Jaguar!

Generally, I don't understand the emotional attachment that some of you feel for your old cars. My approach is that once you've moved on, never look back. I can guarantee that things were never quite as rosy as people imagine afterwards.
I can see both sides, I was very attached to my ZT, and thought it was great, handled great, had 'character', went well enough, was comfy, why would I need anything else?!

Then I test drove the XE an realised the ZT whilst nice, wasn't as nice as I'd convinced myself. And all the 'gimmicky' modern touches that I thought were pointless, are actually quite handy and make longer journeys more pleasurable.

Since I got the ZT I always missed my 25. So far its only 2 weeks with the XE but I'm not missing the ZT and now I find I'm missing the 25 less as well.