Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > News Bulletins > Discussion
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st December 2009, 11:30   #41
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Wonder what the Law is for Travel Home & Campervan owners?
Many must sleep in them after a few Jars?
Keys must be in the Van so the driver is in control of Vehicle

Where will it all end?
KEEP PUBLICISING THIS THREAD TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW GENTS & DON'T GET DONE!!
Keep Fines & Points to a bare minimum.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 12:14   #42
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Many years ago when proper "Car Phones" were the norm rather than mobiles. I remember several of my colleagues getting a ticking off for using them whilst driving; it occurred to me that they were all holding the receiver in their right hand so it was easily visible from outside the car.

I'm left handed, and I wonder how many lefties have been saved by holding the phone in their left hand where the headrest hides it from behind and it's not easily visible through the off-side window?
Old 31st December 2009, 13:32   #43
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover418275 View Post
Sorry, disagree, people have been prosecuted for drink driving when in their homes and the keys are within the property,

I am sure Raistlin will advise if I am wrong.......
Mike, I've only just seen this

The comment you make above would only be valid in very specific circumstances, such as where the Police had reason to believe that the individual had been recently driving. For example, where they had followed a suspected drink driver and were not able to make a safe stop before the suspect parked and went indoors. and I suspect that the comment has been taken (not by yourself) out of context to suit a particular agenda.

The Police must have reason to believe that an offence has been committed and they would be required to justify that reason to their seniors, a Crown Prosecutor, and, ultimately, to a Court.

I have Police officers in my house on frequent occasions, sometimes in the early hours of the morning, when applying for warrants and although it would, on occasion, have been obvious that I'd had a drink, they would have no grounds to require a screening sample etc.

Further, you've met me on several occasions. Do you REALLY think that in the "real world", any prosecutor would dare to stand before my Bench and tell me that the defendant is charged as said, having been woken from sleep, on spec, and arrested for providing a positive screening sample whilst their car was parked in the garage / drive and the keys were found within the premises?

No, much as it is tempting to use as a comparison, in my view, any such comparison would be invalid
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 15:42   #44
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I concur with Paul.
Even in the older days,
we only went into house if the "suspect" had been followed and not stopped due to no safe place to pull over.
We would then go to house.
Other times are after a Hit and Run or any crime where person left the scene.
The bonnet would be checked on entrance also to make sure still hot (as per our rules)
and the "suspect" then asked to take Breathalyser.
If the suspect refused he would then be arrested and if found he was drinking the "minute" he walked into house this was also noted,
Breathalyzer done or arrested on refusal to supply specimen without the normal reasonable grounds,
when a blood sample would be taken instead at station,
and the Court would then decide,
but not a recommended way to try and get out of Drink Driving as the Courts would generally see this as a attempt to sway results.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 16:21   #45
the monk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

That clears things up - thanks people
the monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 18:11   #46
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

I got pulled by the feds for driving one handed he said I was "not in control of the vehiocle" I asked him how come and his reply was because I was driving one handed.To which I replied I passed my test driving one handed to which he just looked blank at me I had to explain that when I took my driving test you had to give hand signals for left ,right, straight on, and slowing down which meant driving with only one hand on the wheel.This is something they dont do nowadays on the test.

He could not reply to this and let me on my way

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:53   #47
the monk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

Nice 1 No 6, must remember that one just in case.
the monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:23   #48
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I got pulled by the feds
I understand that can be very painful and may even make your eyes water
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 20:37   #49
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
I understand that can be very painful and may even make your eyes water

:lol:It did at the time

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 09:51   #50
baconbuttyman
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
That's correct Gents
In this Nanny State we're now enduring, a friend of mine got a tap on his car window 2 weeks ago from a traffic Cop,......."are you using the phone Sir"
were the Officer's words.

John was stationary at the time, he had pulled over in a safe place to take a call from Primary School that his son had been taken ill & could he be collected.

Instant penalty & 3 points were the result of this.
The law is (& and has been for some time)
If you use your phone while the keys are in the ignition, it's an offence.

Funny isn't it why it's not an offence to target Smokers while driving because the Government would loose so much revenue.
It's also an offence to eat an apple or a Sandwich while at the wheel too!

I'm sure my blacked out rear window has saved me a few points, cos I don't consider myself a dangerous driver while eating an apple.
End of Rant for today.
Good evening
while i dont agree with the nanny state, i do believ that doing any thing other than driving while driving is dangerous, from eating an apple to drinking a can of coke, i was a delivery driver for years so i know what the dangers are, its been a well know fact if you want to use your fone in a car, pull over and take your keys out, thats the law, ignorance is not an excuse, if i see some one on the fone i do shake my head at them, i think tho that a police man can exorsise common sense and i supect that copper was down of his targets for the day. i fully back the police when they book some one who is driving and using a phone, eating an apple etc, i dont play with the radio while driving, some think its daft, but i have been a victim of some one who was playing with a car radio while driving, they wrote my mk 2 granada off while doing this, ITS DANGEROUSE FOR PETES SAKE. use the force luke was a movie concept, not reality, how people can drive with out the eyes on the road i dont know, how many children have been killed cos the driver glanced away for a split second. my advice is. pullover. stop. take keys out. place on dash board. now make your call
baconbuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote