Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th June 2007, 11:02   #1
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Default Replacing Std radio/CD with Los Angeles MP74

Hi,
I would like to replace the player that seems standard with my Con 75 SE with a Blaupunkt Los Angeles MP74 which I had fitted to my Zafira. This might not be an ideal system but it does what I want it to. According to the supplier there is a adaptor kit for use with the Rover stalk controls. However it says that it is not compatable with "multiplexed wiring systems" Can anyone tell me what they are?
The part can be found here http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=225
Thank for any advice anyone can give.
Steve
stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 13:21   #2
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
Hi,
I would like to replace the player that seems standard with my Con 75 SE with a Blaupunkt Los Angeles MP74 which I had fitted to my Zafira. This might not be an ideal system but it does what I want it to. According to the supplier there is a adaptor kit for use with the Rover stalk controls. However it says that it is not compatable with "multiplexed wiring systems" Can anyone tell me what they are?
The part can be found here http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=225
Thank for any advice anyone can give.
Steve
Did you have stalk controls wired in the Zafira and did you in that case get the stalk adapter with the stereo as well? I know that the Blaupunkt stalk adapter was of a generic type suitable for a number of makes and types with DIP switches for setting the vehicle type.

I have no idea what "multiplexed" means in this case but the typical Rover stalk adapter is connected directly to the steering wheel buttons (i.e. no logic inbetween) even though there are different wiring harnesses. What type of radio do you have at the moment?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 13:44   #3
stevemac
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Did you have stalk controls wired in the Zafira and did you in that case get the stalk adapter with the stereo as well? I know that the Blaupunkt stalk adapter was of a generic type suitable for a number of makes and types with DIP switches for setting the vehicle type.

I have no idea what "multiplexed" means in this case but the typical Rover stalk adapter is connected directly to the steering wheel buttons (i.e. no logic inbetween) even though there are different wiring harnesses. What type of radio do you have at the moment?
I did not have stalk controls on the Zafira, but I did have the adaptor to put the radio display on the dash. I have not bought the Rover stalk adaptor yet, as I wasn't sure what multiplexing means. I have just been told by Blue Spot that it means the car uses the same wiring for a multitude of functions as opposed to 1 wire 1 function. I am waiting on the service dept at Thomas Day to tell me if the 04 Con 75 SE was multiplexed or not. The radio I have is a CD-80. I don't know the manufacturer, but its very poor. I used the LA MP74 to play mp3's and would like to get back to that. The Blaupunkt stalk adapter seems Rover but not model specific.
Steve
Old 11th June 2007, 14:16   #4
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
I did not have stalk controls on the Zafira, but I did have the adaptor to put the radio display on the dash. I have not bought the Rover stalk adaptor yet, as I wasn't sure what multiplexing means. I have just been told by Blue Spot that it means the car uses the same wiring for a multitude of functions as opposed to 1 wire 1 function. I am waiting on the service dept at Thomas Day to tell me if the 04 Con 75 SE was multiplexed or not. The radio I have is a CD-80. I don't know the manufacturer, but its very poor. I used the LA MP74 to play mp3's and would like to get back to that. The Blaupunkt stalk adapter seems Rover but not model specific.
Steve
The stalk controls of the 75 are definitely multiplexed by that definition but this is the way it's done in a lot of cars. When I was investigating this the last time I came up with the blaupunkt part "7 607 587 512" which is kind of a swiss army stalk adapter and I think I found information indicating that it would work on a 75/ZT.

Basically the steering remote buttons are wired in one loop where different keys creates different resistances in the circuit. In the case of the older Symhpony radio this circuit was connected directly to the radio which did the decoding. The CD-80 which I believe is a VDO unit might of course be wired differently but even if there is some kind of active adapter in your car the basic circuit behind the adaptor is still the same.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 14:32   #5
stevemac
This is my second home

Not sure where to go from here. I just want a decent radio CD player that will play mp3's as well, and will use the stalk control. Is there a Rover unit still available that will do this?
Steve
Old 11th June 2007, 14:53   #6
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

The Rover system is not 'multiplexed' that refers to a system where, for instance, only one cable goes to the steering wheel and it is used by the horn, cruise control and audio system, with the electronics working out which button you pressed and carrying out the operation.

The Rover system is a resistive ladder system, there are two cables, the switches connect different resistances between them and the head unit, or adapter lead changes the settings accordingly. The cables are not used for any other function.

There are adapter leads available for the Blaupunkt, but you may have to re-position the steering wheel control cables if they are in their own connector and not in the Grey ISO plug (Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple cables)

Last edited by raykay; 11th June 2007 at 14:59..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 14:59   #7
stevemac
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
The Rover system is not 'multiplexed' that refers to a system where, for instance, only one cable goes to the steering wheel and it is used by the horn, cruise control and audio system, with the electronics working out which button you pressed and carrying out the operation. The cables are not used by anything else.

The Rover system is a resistive ladder system, there are two cables, the switches connect different resistances between them and the head unit, or adapter lead changes the settings accordingly. There are adapter leads available for the Blaupunkt, but you may have to re-position the steering wheel control cables.
That sounds promising, but I would try and get someone else to do it. Computers I'm fine with,:lol: cars I'm not!
Cheers
Steve
Old 11th June 2007, 15:53   #8
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

It sounds more difficult than it is, look at the grey 8 pin ISO plug on the car loom and see how many cables are in it. If there are only five or six, look for another connector - usually green - with the Blue/Orange and Blue Purple cables. Take the cables out of that connector and put them in the ISO connector, the Blue/Orange goes into pin 2 of the grey ISO plug, if you look at the face of the plug with the clip on the left, it is the empty hole top row left end. The Blue /Purple goes in pin 3, bottom row second from end on the left. If they are already there it's plug and play!

Make sure that you get an adapter lead for Rover75 with ISO plugs and a Blaupunkt head unit. The Blaupunkt adapter lead plugs into the ISO plugs, the other end plugs into the head unit, another lead from the box on the adapter lead to the head unit.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote