Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th November 2016, 08:20   #1
Djangoz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Does any one know BW04RAU ZT-T 2.5 180 SE 'Sport'

Hi all, my first post since joining and looking for a good ZT-T auto preferably diesel but have seen this car advertised with a certified LPG conversion and 62k miles. From what I gather with the LPG the fuel costs might be around the same as the diesel. Has anyone any previous knowledge of this car? It looks like a dark blue colour with black leather.
I know I'd have to beware of the cam belt history with the KV6 engine but it's tempting!
Only problem is it's in Yorkshire and I'm in Cornwall so would probably have to take a chance buying sight unseen.
Djangoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 11:01   #2
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Have a read

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=257195
Old 27th November 2016, 19:44   #3
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

Glad I went and had a look now potentially saved you a massive head ache coming from Cornwall! If you want to know anything else about the car will do my best to help you out.
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 21:15   #4
Djangoz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks to you both. Yes I had thought that your posting referred to the same car! Sounds like the seller may not be brimming with charm! However it is pretty much the spec I am looking for. Would possibly have preferred the diesel for reliability but as I've mentioned would consider the KV6 with LPG as fuel costs would be about the same I think. Like you said - he is saying nothing on the cam belt front. Although it's obviously well overdue time wise I see that other posts on the subject seem to say that mileage is more important and that the belts don't "age" much just with time. It's only got a record of two services but the miles are very low and MOT history seems to support that as being true.
I've sent him an email asking if he'd be willing to allow an RAC inspection as this would give me peace of mind re corrosion underneath etc. We'll have to see if he'll be willing or not - will probably walk away if so!
Do you think the paint would be recoverable in regard to the swirls or are they really bad?
Old 27th November 2016, 21:34   #5
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

The car in the right hands could well be a very nice one, the swirls will probably be polished out but they was a rusty chip on the B pillar about the size of a penny and wheels in desperate need of a refurb,

it's the seller my problem is with and it's a bit of a back street garage, advertised on Auto Trader as motors 4 you but all the signage when I arrived was ar motors no office to speak of just trading from a little car park wouldn't trust them with 50p personally but if your willing to get it inspected and pay the asking price that he was so adamant about, please keep me updated regarding this will be interesting.
Old 27th November 2016, 22:27   #6
CLINTE
Loves to post

Rover & MG less

You need to budget £500 - £600 for the cam belt and water pump ( thermostat housing as well ? ) plus £ 300 for 4 alloys to be refurbished and a contingency for say £ 500 for anything else e.g. when was the last service ? has the transmission fluid been changed within the last five years ?

You may be able to better these estimates especially if you can do the jobs but at the end of the day it is not going to be a particularly cheap acquisition and hence a bargain

Clinte
CLINTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 22:32   #7
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLINTE View Post
You need to budget £500 - £600 for the cam belt and water pump ( thermostat housing as well ? ) plus £ 300 for 4 alloys to be refurbished and a contingency for say £ 500 for anything else e.g. when was the last service ? has the transmission fluid been changed within the last five years ?

You may be able to better these estimates especially if you can do the jobs but at the end of the day it is not going to be a particularly cheap acquisition and hence a bargain

Clinte
Said this to the dealer who laughed and said "£600 for a cam belt your joking" he was clueless, last recorded service was in 2006 then a couple of receipts with sporadic dates last being in 2014 from euro car parts for a oil filter.
Old 27th November 2016, 23:17   #8
Djangoz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Hmm - thanks all for your input. Will get an inspection done I think and see if it's a rot box underneath - that would probably be the clincher if so! I don't so much mind paying the asking price if it's promising as a "keeper". They don't seem to turn up very often in good high spec like this one.
Old 28th November 2016, 08:13   #9
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

If you go this way, ask whoever's testing it for you to take it for a road test - reason I say this is that my last but 3 75 was a fully LPG'd 2.5 KV6 and the one thing that kept happening (3 times) was that the inlet system siezed up, which back in the day ended up being a new manifold and re-cutting for the LPG, although I'm aware that it's probably fixable these days - cost me about £900 a time when that happened.

The symptoms at the time were the car seriously running out of puff at high revs, and struggling to make progress at motorway speeds - felt like the choke had been left full on.

Also, probably worthwhile finding out what LPG kit is on it - I've run across some places which put a single point kit on a KV6 which is a) Stupidly cheap practise and b) Liable to cause the inlet manifold to explode at some point with a backflash (had this with an XJ40 I had that somebody had cheaped out on). Multipoint is the only way to go with these engines.
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 10:52   #10
Djangoz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Had a long chat with very helpful lady at Exeter Road Garage this morning. Excellent advice all round and ultimately formed the impression that they were not enthusiastic at all about LPG conversions on either of the petrol engines. This was enough to finally convince me not to go ahead with this car especially when taking account of the considerable unknowns in its service and maintenance history.
So thanks to everyone who helped me with this - and the search for a good ZT-T CDTI Auto goes on (preferably high spec)
Anyone feeling the need for a change?😉