Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th January 2017, 11:14   #1
Jezzer 1
I really should get out more.......

75 V8 Connoisseur SE Saloon: 75 V8 Contemporary SE Saloon and others!!!

Default New Years Eve Burglary

New Years Eve was an active day for the local low life.

My house was broken into at midday, and an hour later the culprits were enjoying a tasty KFC lunch in Coventry bought with my contactless credit card. They then went on to try buying new clothes, drinks and the weekly grocery shop. I can only hope they choked.

The point of the rant is that the only other things they took were car keys. Including both key fobs for my 75 Tourer, meaning I cannot get into it. Insurers will replace the keys, but don't seem to know where to get it done.

Could one of our Keymeisters suggest what needs to be done? I am guessing the locks themselves will need to be changed, with new fobs/transponders and maybe a replacement ECU, but I am not sure.

It would be nice if the locks themselves didn't need changing, leaving only the electronics to be done, but I'm not hopeful.

All (polite) suggestions welcome, and any help is appreciated.
Old 6th January 2017, 11:23   #2
CLINTE
Loves to post

Rover & MG less

I would have a word with Phil T4.

When I needed keys I went to BigRuss who fixed me up but he is in Yorkshire ( exit 25 off the M62)

CLINTE
CLINTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 12:27   #3
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer 1 View Post
New Years Eve was an active day for the local low life.

My house was broken into at midday, and an hour later the culprits were enjoying a tasty KFC lunch in Coventry bought with my contactless credit card. They then went on to try buying new clothes, drinks and the weekly grocery shop. I can only hope they choked.

The point of the rant is that the only other things they took were car keys. Including both key fobs for my 75 Tourer, meaning I cannot get into it. Insurers will replace the keys, but don't seem to know where to get it done.

Could one of our Keymeisters suggest what needs to be done? I am guessing the locks themselves will need to be changed, with new fobs/transponders and maybe a replacement ECU, but I am not sure.

It would be nice if the locks themselves didn't need changing, leaving only the electronics to be done, but I'm not hopeful.

All (polite) suggestions welcome, and any help is appreciated.
Sorry to hear that news. Those responsible have no idea what hassle they cause, and I don't suppose they care either. May they choke on their ill gotten food. 😡😡
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 12:48   #4
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Be careful that they don't return for the car.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 12:56   #5
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Sorry to hear this.

Thinking along coolguy's lines...they have the keys...is there anything in the car of value that you need rescuing/securing just in case? Isn't there a well-guarded secret way to get in? Moderators?

Also, is it worth jacking the car up, whipping wheels off and leaving it on axle stands so it can't be driven off...or buying a wheel clamp to chuck on it? Just to be sure?

Jonty
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 14:01   #6
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

If you need any help Im only down the road matey. No expert on locks but you never know I might be of assistance if you need anything.
Im sure the CCTV in KFC should give the police a few pointers and Sainsburys.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 14:21   #7
Jezzer 1

75 V8 Connoisseur SE Saloon: 75 V8 Contemporary SE Saloon and others!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
If you need any help Im only down the road matey. No expert on locks but you never know I might be of assistance if you need anything.
Im sure the CCTV in KFC should give the police a few pointers and Sainsburys.
That's very kind and thanks for the suggestions. First problem is for me to get into the car as I don't have even a key blade. The locking wheel nut is inside the car so I can't take a wheel off at present. It's blocked in on the drive at the moment, but entry is the first priority.

I've asked the Marinabrian guru via pm for suggestions and I'm sure he'll be back, but I don't want the insurers to take the car somewhere where, shall we say a less than expert job might be done!
Old 6th January 2017, 14:28   #8
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Worst case scenario contact your BMW dealer down the road and order new keys etc from Germany. Takes 2 weeks so Im told.
Your insurance company should be on the ball hopefully Jezzer.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 15:51   #9
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default I'd try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer 1 View Post
That's very kind and thanks for the suggestions. First problem is for me to get into the car as I don't have even a key blade. The locking wheel nut is inside the car so I can't take a wheel off at present. It's blocked in on the drive at the moment, but entry is the first priority.

I've asked the Marinabrian guru via pm for suggestions and I'm sure he'll be back, but I don't want the insurers to take the car somewhere where, shall we say a less than expert job might be done!
Do the bonnet opening trick that is known to get you under there, then unclip the ECU if you can or get another member to do it.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 16:08   #10
Phil-T4

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

I have lock sets with keys in stock and can pick your drivers door to gain access without damage, the stolen fobs and transponders will be disabled and new ones programmed for you.

Please PM me if you require my assistance.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote