Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th June 2018, 08:23   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Richard Branson - "Ban New Petrol Diesel"

I like Sir Richard Branson as an entrepreneur, he is always enthusiastic - when it comes to his own interests.

He is trying to encourage the banning the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles from 2025, rather than the current intended 2040. Why? well he is promoting his eeeenterests in electric powered vehicles, his next money making project, which I believe should have been the aim of industry twenty years ago.

Cited in the reports is the fact that Norway and the Netherlands want that ban to commence in 2025 - how many car manufacturers do those countries have?

Once again, this should raise some discussion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44246154
planenut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 08:45   #2
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I like Sir Richard Branson as an entrepreneur, he is always enthusiastic - when it comes to his own interests.

He is trying to encourage the banning the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles from 2025, rather than the current intended 2040. Why? well he is promoting his eeeenterests in electric powered vehicles, his next money making project, which I believe should have been the aim of industry twenty years ago.

Cited in the reports is the fact that Norway and the Netherlands want that ban to commence in 2025 - how many car manufacturers do those countries have?

Once again, this should raise some discussion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44246154

I dare say the powers that be will make it too expensive to run them and we'll all be taxed out of fossil fuel cars before then anyway, The National Grid has already met with a parliamentary committee wanting to bring forward the 2040 date to 2030, they have a lot to gain naturally.

On the topic of electric vehicles has anyone else been watching the Isle of Man TT races specifically the TT Zero electric bike demo race?, average speed 121mph once around the track.
They sound like the Jetsons spaceship going past at speed.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 09:20   #3
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

I can’t help but have the feeling that once electric vehicles outnumber petrol and diesel ones the hike in road tax from zero to whatever they want it to be will be humungous, no government is going to give up on the amount of revenue collected at the pumps and VED without a long term tax strategy, zero emission or not. They will cite the co2 used to produce such vehicles or some other NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 10:03   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
I can’t help but have the feeling that once electric vehicles outnumber petrol and diesel ones the hike in road tax from zero to whatever they want it to be will be humungous, no government is going to give up on the amount of revenue collected at the pumps and VED without a long term tax strategy, zero emission or not. They will cite the co2 used to produce such vehicles or some other NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- as usual.

I totally agree.

Just imagine if a new tax got introduced which would depend on size of battery.

The government could use the reason of ''its a drain on the national grid'' the slogan would be 'You drain more, so you pay more'

Watch this space.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 10:22   #5
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

HM Government will be far more interested in the implications of lost tax revenues than whether its clean or not. And how will those nations which depend on oil exports manage I wonder?
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 14:57   #6
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Not only loss of 'road tax' but loss of tax from fuel sales too .
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 16:22   #7
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post

Didn’t they do that with diesels

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 16:48   #8
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Pot and kettle come to mind.

Why doesn’t he start with his own stuff first then? Aircraft and trains come to mind.

He is guilty along with that guy Musk of polluting space with our junk. Wonder how much hyrdocarbon he burns with his booster rockets?

The me too glitterati seems to want to ban everything from men only gatherings to buying cheap booze to internal combustion engines there won’t be much left to ban soon.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 17:26   #9
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

They'll probably end up having to charge per mile one way or another, otherwise you'd have to hike Vehicle Excise Duty to something like £2,500 a year, but some people use their cars more than others, so this would be unfair. I easily spend £80 every two weeks on fuel.

The only other way is to simply send people a bill based on their annual mileage which will be taken when the vehicle goes for an MOT, and they can pay this monthly by direct debit, a bit like payment on account self-assesment payments.

I don't think the public would go for the blackbox charge per mile option under privacy concerns.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2018, 13:55   #10
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Road pricing will happen, the 'upgrade' to smart motorways is putting the infrastructure in place.
Its not too difficult to reduce social and pleasure use, but in the culture of online purchasing there is a requirement for vehicles to deliver the goods, add to that the convoys of trucks hauling goods 24/7.
Then there are the long distance commuters, be they tradesmen/contractors that supply to industry.
I am one of thousands that have to drive 1000 to 1200 miles a week, should we take the cost on the chin, or up our rates to cover.

I dont know anybody who will accept higher costs and not charge for it.

Last edited by Mr Bone; 8th June 2018 at 13:58..
Mr Bone is offline   Reply With Quote