Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th January 2019, 17:01   #11
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Not sure if it is critical to go in that far but that's what I did as recommended by the peeps on here, after all ... they know better than me.
A good tip I received was to use a smear of washing up liquid on the inside of the hose and then use a suitable length of Kitchen waste pipe to push the thermostat in square, works a treat.
Really is an easy mod tbh, in fact ... the hardest part was cutting through original hose clip without damaging the hose (not that difficult at all tbh).
Take your time and it should all go well.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2019, 17:37   #12
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

I have done this to my car too, yesterday I was sat in a traffic jam without moving for almost 40 minutes, the temp went to 95 degrees but as it was chilly outside I was toasty inside, as soon as I started moving again it was back to around 86/87 degrees.
I used a Gates thermostat too.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2019, 19:10   #13
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

ive ordered me stat from dmgrs so should be here next week as most comments stated the hardiest part looks like cutting through the clip without damaging the hose ill just take it steady ive seen the video on you tube about how to fit and it doesn't seem as its pushed all the way down but will see thanks for all you info guys rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2019, 09:01   #14
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Before I do this on mine, I have a couple of questions if I may ?

Does this mod stress the system / engine in any way ? as in long distance driving, or towing, or high speed driving ?
I ask because I do come over to the UK quite often and in one go, over 650 miles and at around 85 mph on the french side.

And does using washing up liquid to help slide it in cause bubbles in the header tank ?

Thanks

Pete.
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2019, 09:21   #15
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Here I have a choice of temperatures, 83°c, 86 and 89. Which one should I go for ?
And which brand out of FAE, FACET, first line and VALEO ?
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2019, 09:34   #16
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Go for the 89c stat. And there are no down sides to this modification unless you view a warmer heater and better MPG as a negative thing. The tiny amount of washing up liquid used will not cause bubbles in your header tank lol.
Old 25th January 2019, 10:15   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
Here I have a choice of temperatures, 83°c, 86 and 89. Which one should I go for ?
And which brand out of FAE, FACET, first line and VALEO ?
Hi Pete.
link below to gates stat, I use a little bit of red rubber grease to insert the stat, it does not need to be pushed in as far as I do them, but I like to insert them so they are tight and have no chance of twisting in the hose, there is also no need for two jubilee clips, use a small piece of sink waste pipe to help push the stat into the hose, another way is to lie the hose in hot water for a while it help the hose go supple and aids the insertion.

If you use washing up liquid or rubber grease you can wash out the hose in hot water before refitting but neither will hurts the hose or system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC17762.jpg (134.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SDC17764.jpg (110.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SDC17765.jpg (121.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SDC17766.jpg (114.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SDC17769.jpg (114.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SDC17772.jpg (121.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SDC17775.jpg (119.1 KB, 24 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2019, 10:37   #18
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
Does this mod stress the system / engine in any way? as in long distance driving, or towing, or high speed driving?

There's no reason why it should and the mod has been around a long time now. Any long term or long distance effects would have shown up before now. In broad terms, it benefits the engine by running it at the correct temperature. Low temperature running is considearbly more detrimental.

Quote:
Here I have a choice of temperatures, 83°c, 86 and 89. Which one should I go for?
Anything in the 88-92C range is optimal.

Quote:
And which brand out of FAE, FACET, first line and VALEO?
Over the years this mod has been discussed, it's clear that some brands work better than others. This may be from various factors, but one important property is water-tightness when closed. Any significant bleed-through (a large air release hole/valve for example) reduces the running temperature quite significantly. There's a small list of brands that are known to work well - Gates, FirstLine, Wahler. I've no doubt others may be fine too, but they simply haven't been recorded on the forums.

EDIT: It may be worth considering that most washing up liquids will contain sodium chloride (salt), which is a well recognised corrosive for aluminium and ferrous metals. There may or may not be a need to add a lubricant for installing the stat into the hose. Water alone is a good lube for rubber. You might also consider glycerine or even antifreeze conentrate (ethylene glycol). Something like Swarfega is better than Fairy Liquid (IMO of course).

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 25th January 2019 at 10:46..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2019, 17:28   #19
markypicks
Gets stuck in

ive purchased mine from dmgrs so should be a good quality stat comes with fitting instructions and 2 clips
Old 27th January 2019, 12:12   #20
markypicks
Gets stuck in

just to update guys me thernostat came today (sunday) from dmgrs it looks ok wont be fitting till next week its cold out and snow on the way