Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th May 2019, 14:21   #61
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Many UK employers will say the jobs are here to be taken, but there is a lack of skilled workers in Britain.

This position does not sit well with the fact that just under 3% of the working population is on zero-hour contracts, not discharging a full working week, which in a large proportion of cases means living partly on employment benefits.

So, in reality, nearly 7% of the employable population is wholey or partially unemployed.

Also, most decent jobs receive in excess of 1000 applications for each vacant role.
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 14:34   #62
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
Where I work we would grind to a halt without people from Eastern Europe willing to work hard, work well and be incredibly flexible. No indigenous Brits anywhere to be seen I'm afraid.
Lets not forget the lack of Class 1 HGV drivers. Without foreign drivers coming in we would grind to a halt overnight.
The EU has driven away any desire to drive a lorry for a living. More tests which is a good thing but now the bill for getting qualified is £2500.

Unsocial hours and weekends. Not the fault of the EU.

Older drivers retiring early as they want no part in the CPC qualification which is mandatory. They should have allowed those over 60 to be exempt. Experience counts for a lot. Personally I like the CPC courses. They are informative and useful dragging up the standard of driving.

We are reliant on drivers from many countries. Fruit producers need pickers. The list goes on.
Old 14th May 2019, 18:19   #63
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

His proposal was pretty good, not perfect but if the government had actually followed it the trains would be better than they are now.

He did chop loss making stations on the fact that few used them, and the government followed this part of the report. However he also said there should be large scale investment in many areas that were popular. Of course that wasn't followed. He gets unfair rap at times I feel. The government will have set the constraints of the report he won't have had a blank page to report on.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 18:49   #64
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Its certainly no good hoping some British entrepreneur will come along and fix things. I gave a talk a while back on the history of Ariel motorcycles and one of the key factors in the early years was the introduction of new finance acts that allowed entrepreneurs to start up companies, fail and start again and that's exactly what they did time after time decade after decade.
We nationalised so much of our industry for a good reason, we knew we needed it and we knew we couldn't rely on it continuing in private hands. Then, over the past 40+ years we decided we didn't want to spend our taxes investing in our industries, we'd rather either subsidise private business if the industry was vital or just flog it off if it wasn't. Its decisions we've made and we can blame our competitors all we like but we voted for it time and time again. Even when the sales weren't in the manifestos (anyone remember them saying "vote for us and we'll sell the National Grid"?) we knew what was going on and didn't protest. Even now, in the upcoming European elections the majority will vote on Brexit lines ignoring that the MEPs will have a say in what happens to Europe's industries and our industries for as long as we're still in (could be months, could be years, no one knows) and I've not heard a single word from anyone about any sort of industrial plan, or where they stand on the stuff normally considered important. Even more madly having more Liberal or more Brexit Party or more Labour or Conservative or Change UK or whatever MEPs wont help get whatever deal get through our parliament. The MEPs don't get to vote on it!
Incidentally, I'm not saying nationalisation is the only answer. Part of the reason France & Germany have held on to more of their industry is the way their business financing is arranged. Our banking finance is very expensive and our stock market financing is ridiculously short-term. The fact that Cameron spent year after year stressing how important foreign investment is to us is a damning judgement on how unfit for purpose our banking system now is. Anyone heard of any of the parties planning to change this?

Final bit before I stop ranting for the evening. How about the Govt buy up an old plant and produce a People's Car? A cheap EV aimed at commuters? Utilitarian but cheap to lease and cheap to run. A sort of modern day Morris Minor, Beetle or Trabant. I'm in
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 19:13   #65
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Loving this debate, with so much well reasoned, and considerately argued debate, coming from real and personal experience of working in industry over many years. Our political class could learn a thing or two from reading this thread... on second thoughts, - nah, they wouldn't.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 20:00   #66
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

Also, most decent jobs receive in excess of 1000 applications for each vacant role.
Really! 1000 applications I very much doubt that. Not even with the ease of the internet and applying online will raise that amount of applications per job role.

In either case the amount received will be halved due to inexperience and not meeting the minimum job requirements.

I can speak with HR and get a summary on figures that are similar related.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 05:30   #67
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

This was posted yesterday, There doesn’t look to be many used cars for sale, last time I was there I remember there being a lot more.
https://youtu.be/7JErJrMSDu8

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 05:53   #68
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Really! 1000 applications I very much doubt that. Not even with the ease of the internet and applying online will raise that amount of applications per job role.

In either case the amount received will be halved due to inexperience and not meeting the minimum job requirements.

I can speak with HR and get a summary on figures that are similar related.

Firstly, I pressed too many zeroes, it should have been over 100 vacancies per vacancy.

This is actually correct. Remember, we are not discussing retail, restaurant trade, care type jobs that pay below the living wage and sometimes need to be topped up with benefits. We are debating engineering jobs and in my case specifically graduate level jobs.

Take a look at this publication. https://careersblog.warwick.ac.uk/20...rends-2017-18/

Extract: "Specifically, Application ratios within sectors vary; overall on average there are 75 applications per vacancy. Investment Banking is the highest sector with 133 applications per job and Accounting and professional services the lowest with 29:1."

Engineering is similar to high-end financial jobs.

So, an average of 133 applications per vacancy. This being the average, the application ratio will be higher for many jobs.

The figures like 3.2 are for all jobs, most of which fall into the sort of categories I describe above. Take a look at any job site and you will note that most of the advertised vacancies are in catering, retail and care and pay the minimum wage.

It would be useful to have your numbers from your HR.

Last edited by MSS; 15th May 2019 at 05:55..
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 08:06   #69
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Firstly, I pressed too many zeroes, it should have been over 100 applications per vacancy.
Pretty much as it was when I applied for an Apprenticeship with Shell back in 1975 then.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 08:22   #70
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Firstly, I pressed too many zeroes, it should have been over 100 vacancies per vacancy.

This is actually correct. Remember, we are not discussing retail, restaurant trade, care type jobs that pay below the living wage and sometimes need to be topped up with benefits. We are debating engineering jobs and in my case specifically graduate level jobs.

Take a look at this publication. https://careersblog.warwick.ac.uk/20...rends-2017-18/

Extract: "Specifically, Application ratios within sectors vary; overall on average there are 75 applications per vacancy. Investment Banking is the highest sector with 133 applications per job and Accounting and professional services the lowest with 29:1."

Engineering is similar to high-end financial jobs.

So, an average of 133 applications per vacancy. This being the average, the application ratio will be higher for many jobs.

The figures like 3.2 are for all jobs, most of which fall into the sort of categories I describe above. Take a look at any job site and you will note that most of the advertised vacancies are in catering, retail and care and pay the minimum wage.

It would be useful to have your numbers from your HR.
Pressed too many zero's, lol I believe you, thousands wouldn't.

I myself originally studied in fine art and illustration, but went on to study in joinery and became a carpenter/builder because that's where the money was. Years later I wanted a cleaner profession which led me in to the business side of things and then retail.

Its safe to say the building trade for example has got worst over the years, the shortage of skilled construction workers is quite a concern. Not to blow my own trumpet, but my father and I were head-hunted by a well known contractor some years ago, this is something that proves there is a continued skilled trades shortage in the UK.

We can post up figures all day long, that still doesn't take away the fact that what is happening in these industries is real.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote