Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th May 2019, 07:19   #11
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Interesting points you raise. And if true then the actions become more understandable. I just find it somewhat galling that the Aid Budget has been used.
Been going on for years, it's an easy way for governments to hide various things.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 08:50   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Been going on for years, it's an easy way for governments to hide various things.

Agreed. The suprise should only come when the aid budget is used for genuine aid purposes.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 11:37   #13
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

What we do know about governments of all colours does not help to sell the concept of foreign aid. We can decide to boycott products that are believed to intercept secrets but still we send ‘aid’ to that country, allegedly for civil engineering/ primary education etc?

The theory about funding overseas research into obtaining technical info we are unable to get because we deem the process dangerous to us, but might be able to use, is an appalling abuse of our lofty humanitarian principles. I’d put that as worse than bribery of officials. It also leads to further corruption in other areas – once the principle is accepted it grows as more excuses are dreamed up.

In spite of our largesse nothing seems to change and there are always allegations of funds being diverted to other undisclosed causes. Control of these funds that might be better used at home is, to say the least, lax.

All of what we send is susceptible to corruption and misdirection unless totally administered by our own people. They should be under strict supervision with their costs being part of the donation. Anything else is abdication of responsibility to UK taxpayers. And it should apply to other closer-to-home destinations.

Just how many coal mines in China are being closed as a result of our contributions to their industrial prosperity? So we who extoll sustainability and survival of the planet can ban a principle and overtly fund it?
Old 29th May 2019, 11:47   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
What we do know about governments of all colours does not help to sell the concept of foreign aid. We can decide to boycott products that are believed to intercept secrets but still we send ‘aid’ to that country, allegedly for civil engineering/ primary education etc?

The theory about funding overseas research into obtaining technical info we are unable to get because we deem the process dangerous to us, but might be able to use, is an appalling abuse of our lofty humanitarian principles. I’d put that as worse than bribery of officials. It also leads to further corruption in other areas – once the principle is accepted it grows as more excuses are dreamed up.

In spite of our largesse nothing seems to change and there are always allegations of funds being diverted to other undisclosed causes. Control of these funds that might be better used at home is, to say the least, lax.

All of what we send is susceptible to corruption and misdirection unless totally administered by our own people. They should be under strict supervision with their costs being part of the donation. Anything else is abdication of responsibility to UK taxpayers. And it should apply to other closer-to-home destinations.

Just how many coal mines in China are being closed as a result of our contributions to their industrial prosperity? So we who extoll sustainability and survival of the planet can ban a principle and overtly fund it?
I should point out and stress, the theory about research is purely that, a theory. A theory based on my own cynicism and betwixt the line reading. Simply thrown out to offer a potential different train of thought.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 12:46   #15
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I should point out and stress, the theory about research is purely that, a theory. A theory based on my own cynicism and betwixt the line reading. Simply thrown out to offer a potential different train of thought.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Of course Alan, that was obvious and how I read it! We share that cynicism. My post was intended to support yours. However, the thought that a British company masquerading as offshore and thereby fraudulently obtaining, well, ,let's say pretending, UK foreign aid might just be a step too far!
Old 29th May 2019, 20:35   #16
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Anyone else watching Panorama - Crisis in Care.?

Genuinely vulnerable people and a Local Council - Somerset - running out of money - they have to save a further £13M

And yet we give money to support Fracking in other Countries via Foreign Aid.

The cuts seem so deep here in the U.K. - and I do think we should have a Foreign Aid budget - but who the heck signs off who gets what?
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 07:36   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Anyone else watching Panorama - Crisis in Care.?

Genuinely vulnerable people and a Local Council - Somerset - running out of money - they have to save a further £13M

And yet we give money to support Fracking in other Countries via Foreign Aid.

The cuts seem so deep here in the U.K. - and I do think we should have a Foreign Aid budget - but who the heck signs off who gets what?

I saw Panorama and the depth of the cuts is sustained and crushing.

I do however believe that we need to have an open debate in society as to whether the cost of care for the elderly is sustainable. How can £65k PA for a person be sustained when the same councils have laid off thousands of people whose livelihood depended on the circa £20k PA wages. Has medicine gone too far in maintaining lives of people who in other countries would have naturally pass away?

Also, I reviewed the salaries of the 20ish top officials in our county Council when they were proposing to completely cut the Citizens Advice budget a few months ago. These salaries were over £100k plus benefits/expenses and should be cut by half.

Having said the above, I so admired the lady who was looking after her husband and the chap who was working yet looking after his wife and kids.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote